Gransnet forums

AIBU

Games Threads.

(56 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 17-Mar-18 00:05:47

There are currently sixteen on the go.

I suppose I AM being unreasonable but is this what we've become?

sad

FarNorth Thu 22-Mar-18 11:08:24

merlotgran, I guess you're saying "My gang seems to be full of people I have nothing in common with, nowadays."

Just avoiding the Games threads won't get you the gang you used to have, if no-one is posting the kind of topics you like.

So from that point of view, YANBU, but there's not much to be done about it. sad

FarNorth Thu 22-Mar-18 11:03:41

^^ That comment was about how to hide a thread, on the mobile site.

FarNorth Thu 22-Mar-18 10:55:53

When you are on the relevant thread, look at the top right of the page. There should be a downward pointing arrow, like a v.
Click on that for options.

Mapleleaf Thu 22-Mar-18 09:56:19

Don't use the games threads if you don't like them. Quite a lot do like them, though, or they wouldn't t be there!
I like to pop in occasionally, perhaps others do that too, and that might be why some of them get resurrected again so get quite long. ?

Anniebach Thu 22-Mar-18 09:24:31

I just shoot past threads which have no interest for me. I like games but don't attempt any where one needs to be able to spell ?. Others enjoy them so that's good

mcem Thu 22-Mar-18 08:52:49

I'd like to hide some threads and have my tablet on mobile site but can't see any hide option.
Can anyone help?

Elegran Thu 22-Mar-18 08:47:33

But they do have their own area - a topic called "Games". That title appears above every Games thread, and if you don't want to open one, you can ignore it, just as (we are frequently being told) you can ignore anything under the topic of diet and exercise, relationships, nature, science and environment, or even news and political, which has many threads.

sodapop Thu 22-Mar-18 08:35:20

I don't think there has been any suggestion that games should not be on GN. It would be better though if they had their own area as there are so many.

OurKid1 Thu 22-Mar-18 08:23:42

Jalima - indeed we are.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Mar-18 20:11:19

OurKid1 a very good analogy
(except that we are the contributors and on the www!)

OurKid1 Wed 21-Mar-18 19:16:50

I see GN as being a bit like an interactive magazine - there are serious topics, which I tend to stick with, but it's good sometimes to have a bit of relaxation with the equivalent of those middle pages with puzzles and the like, as well as the cookery, gardening, telly bits and the occasional bit of sport - especially when Wimbledon is on!

Chewbacca Wed 21-Mar-18 18:34:46

Well.... I was being diplomatic Jalima! grin

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Mar-18 17:56:15

A place where there is good humour, friendship and a small degree of mental agility

Small?
Well, it could be small for some grin

FarNorth Wed 21-Mar-18 16:48:33

Heaven forbid that grans are ever silly!

MissAdventure Wed 21-Mar-18 16:28:38

I like the silly ones. I can keep myself amused for hours on those. smile

farview Wed 21-Mar-18 16:25:55

I love the Games,well some of them, abbreviation,last three letters,word pairs/association..
but there are some rather silly ones on there also!!

SparklyGrandma Tue 20-Mar-18 23:32:54

Thank you Marydoll

Marydoll Mon 19-Mar-18 15:38:56

A couple were duplicated because the original game reached 1000 posts and then two different posters started the new thread, not realising that the other had also done so.

Anyway, I enjoy them and as Chewy and Sparkly have previously said, "A place where there is good humour, friendship and a small degree of mental agility"

It is also a good place for new posters to dip a toe in the water, non threatening and no chance of anyone taking offence. .

hildajenniJ Mon 19-Mar-18 15:18:59

I like the games threads, but why are some of them duplicated? I don't often look at them during the day, but pop in during the evening, often at bed time to help me unwind.

SparklyGrandma Mon 19-Mar-18 14:20:25

I Agee Chewbacca there is fun and humour and sometimes a glass of wine, silliness and keeping the brain active on games threads. Long may they be...

FarNorth Sun 18-Mar-18 21:27:26

I see that if I set Gransnet to "mobile site" on my tablet, I then get the facility to hide threads.
Could be useful for some.

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Mar-18 15:18:05

I started one about the situation in Ghouta but only got one or two responses. sad

Is there a limit to the number of threads that can be active? If not, then there would be room for many more.

Chewbacca Sat 17-Mar-18 15:08:16

The games threads are, for me, a place where there is good humour, friendship and a small degree of mental agility. And it's good to see so many new names on the games threads too; the more the merrier!

NanaandGrampy Sat 17-Mar-18 15:08:05

I think on Mumsnet you can block threads you’re not interested in ( I might be wrong) but that would be a hugely useful tool.

Marydoll Sat 17-Mar-18 14:12:52

I know.....grin