Gransnet forums

AIBU

Prices going down after I’ve Booked!

(24 Posts)
Iam64 Fri 23-Mar-18 08:39:24

Book early, chose your seats, get the accommodation you want and forget the cost. Business are there to make money, customers are there to pay up for whatever item they want to buy and then accept that prices will vary.
Don't want to lose my Polyanna approach but honestly - if a holiday going up a bit in price is the worst thing that happens today I'll be a happy person.

AmMaz Fri 23-Mar-18 07:41:48

vickymeldrew stop it then!

Daisyboots Thu 22-Mar-18 21:58:50

We travel quite a lot but once I have paid I don't want to know about whether the cost has gone up or down. I keep getting emails from Trip Advisor saying the price of my chosen hotel has changed but as I chose the cheaper option of paying when booked what's the point? My DH, on the other hand, has enjoyed seeing the price of the Ford Mustang he has hired for our holiday next month rise from £508 to £780 when he last looked. Me? I'm just dreading get in and out of it being in my 70s and rather large. ;)

Bluegal Thu 22-Mar-18 19:38:09

vickymeldrew what exactly is your complaint? Do you want to be able to book a holiday, when it suits you (to secure it) then want a refund if the prices fall? Prices rise and fall......work out what you are happy with and BOOK IT. Waiting can prove disappointing OR can be rewarding...depends on how flexible you are. Sometimes last minute is not worth the anxiety or sometimes it plays dividends. All depends on your circumstances.

vickymeldrew Thu 22-Mar-18 16:03:30

Enjoy reading all your comments Netters. I know some people would love to have this ‘problem’ and I’m lucky to take regular breaks. I had a spell where I seemed to book at the cheapest time, and I guess now I’m a bad loser ! Must stop looking !!

Nannarose Thu 22-Mar-18 15:55:56

It seems to me that you can carry on as you are, but if your breaks are not time-sensitive, you could just check the sites and book when you see a bargain.
Another option would be to make an exercise of tracking the costs and timing and see if you can work out a formula for optimum pricing and security!
I had a relative who worked abroad a lot and he did that.

Helenlouise3 Thu 22-Mar-18 15:55:05

I book when I'm prepared to pay the asking price. If I'm happy enough to pay at the time, then a price drop although annoying, would never spoil my holiday.

Telly Thu 22-Mar-18 15:11:32

Went to pay the balance on a cruise and same thing. I phoned and they reduced the price to the one currently advertised. They will nearly always change the balance to keep the booking. Saved £1200.

Tessa101 Thu 22-Mar-18 14:39:41

Thanks for that tip Jane I’ll try that out next time.

JaneD3 Thu 22-Mar-18 14:00:54

You can opt to open a window incognito when you google - click on the three little dots in the top right hand corner. That stops them knowing that you have been before.

humptydumpty Thu 22-Mar-18 13:43:35

I believe airlines release seats in batches, so booking early or late does not necessarily guarantee cheaper prices...

chelseababy Thu 22-Mar-18 13:38:07

If this happens with a cruise they will sometimes hive you an upgrade or on board credit.

tonibolt Thu 22-Mar-18 13:00:03

My OH refuses to book any holiday very far in advance. This has far more to do with him committing himself to the time away rather than cost. However, we missed out on doing a trip I especially wanted to do to celebrate my 60th, as it had sold out by the time we looked (about 8 weeks before). I was very disappointed, so I think if you can book ahead, if you’re happy with the cost at the time of booking, just do it. As others have said, you have peace of mind, and the pleasure of looking forward to your holiday. Sometimes costs do fall, but you can miss out altogether

newnanny Thu 22-Mar-18 11:16:25

You can't have it both ways. If you book early you are assured of your holiday if you leave it until later to book the same holiday may be cheaper but it may have already sold out. Try last minute . Com if you don't mind taking pot luck on travel days and flights.

Missfoodlove Thu 22-Mar-18 10:28:32

I recently booked a week in Portugal at a bargain price. Some friends wanted to join us so booked the same deal but paid less.
I was really peeved until I saw the flights! Our friends arrive at Faro around 10pm they then leave at around 7am.
We have much better flights and it is well worth the extra money as we have an extra days holiday.
The offer clearly sold out of the best flights so reduced the price!

seacliff Thu 22-Mar-18 10:28:32

I've heard abbot this too Tess. I think you're advised to clear your cookies! Best look on YouTube for step by step instructions.

Tessa101 Thu 22-Mar-18 10:23:46

Have been discussing this lately and Martin Lewis has also mentioned it. It has something to do with cookies and location services when you click On a flight/ stroke holiday site it picks up your location and how many times you are viewing the same thing so they know you are looking to purchase something. My friend and I were looking to book a holiday and we live in different post codes we both looked at exactly same holiday from our different address’s hers was £170 cheaper from her post code than mine. Also the more you check to see the prices on the same sight the more it may change.Ive learned now when I book my flight to oz that if I keep checking the prices they tend to rise because they are aware I’ve checked same flight out before.

Skweek1 Thu 22-Mar-18 10:12:44

If you want to go somewhere, check on line, get the best value you can, book and then forget about it. If the price drops after booking, you've still got a booking for the holiday you want at a price you were happy with. Don't keep looking the proverbial gift horse in the mouth. Enjoy your holiday.

seacliff Thu 22-Mar-18 09:02:40

Best to stop looking! You're partly paying for peace of mind.

OR if you can be flexible, wait until the very last minute, then try and book what you want, see if you can get an absolute bargain. Often, this way you have to compromise on what's available. Also you won't have the enjoyment of looking forward to your holiday, as it may not happen.

Elegran Thu 22-Mar-18 08:55:43

The prices drop because they want to fill all the places and have found that people are being slow to book (though not you!). If they can't, they could end up losing money on the deal. The opposite happens too - if it is very popular they can raise the prices and still be sure that enough people will buy it. It is supply and demand.
Lastminute.com has some real bargains if you can wait until the eleventh hour and take a chance.

mcem Thu 22-Mar-18 07:50:28

Last week I checked prices on a holiday I booked in late January. Booking exactly the same holiday now would cost £700 more.
It really does work both ways.

Oopsadaisy12 Thu 22-Mar-18 07:45:57

I echo Gillybob, it’s peace of mind that you have once you have booked, I never, ever go back and check the price afterwards.
However once DH is retired I might try to book things a year in advance and see it that makes holidays any cheaper.

gillybob Thu 22-Mar-18 07:35:31

I wouldn’t lose sleep over price drops vickymeldrew . You buy when you buy to ensure that you will get a place, ticket, seat or whatever, paying the current price offered to secure that . You could wait and find that the prices have risen ( it stands to reason you will be on the winning side sometimes) or you could wait and find that there is no longer any availability . It really is the chance you take for peace of mind that you have got what you want.

I won’t say stop looking at prices after booking because you probably won’t . But perhaps just enjoy the feeling that you got a place when others weren’t so lucky . Enjoy your travels smile

vickymeldrew Thu 22-Mar-18 05:24:24

I travel a fair bit. Short breaks and tickets to visit family abroad. I’m a pretty savvy shopper and unfortunately can’t resist visiting websites after I’ve booked and paid for stuff. Lately I seem to have been getting my timing wrong and prices are dropping like stones after I’ve secured my place. This is now getting quite upsetting and spoiling my anticipation of a holiday. My family say I should just stop checking up on things but the more it happens the more I can’t resist seeing if I have a bargain price or not! Any suggestions ?