Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grandads

(43 Posts)
Rufus2 Sun 08-Apr-18 04:21:28

Question from "Newbie"; Are Grandads welcomed everywhere in all forums with open arms, or are they confined to the shed? confused

Rufus2 Wed 11-Apr-18 13:10:07

Hi Callgirl1; Thanks for your welcome.
One here in Melbourne and four up in Brisbane.
No great grandchildren yet and unlikely for some time.
Both our sons got married too soon; they must have worked out from their parents that married life was OK, but they got divorced 2years later. So what's new?

They are now happily re-married; the new Melbourne
"girl" also divorced, came along with my "ready-made"
grandson who is now married to an Irish girl.
There has been no further "issue" there and very unlikely.[ grin]
The Brisbane branch got off to a late start, but made up with my other grandson and 3 granddaughters.
They are still scattered through various grades of school and Uni; unfortunately I don't see too much of them due to studies and the cost of airfares (for 6 of them including Mum and Dad)
Travel for me is also a poor option.sad
So there we are Callgirl1, I've poured out my heart!
Hope I've not bored you, but I've found these postings very therapeutic since joining Gransnet.
Long may they continue!
Best wishes and Good Health to you and your family and not forgetting the next addition. May 4th. You're in the home straight now. smile

callgirl1 Tue 10-Apr-18 16:20:54

Welcome Rufus, there aren`t enough granddads on here. How many are you granddad to, and are you also a great grandad? My second great grandchild is due on May 4th. You`re quite safe from me, I`m well away from Oz!

Rufus2 Tue 10-Apr-18 12:17:04

Hi PamelaJ
Thanks for your message, but what have I got to be afraid of?
If you are overseas then you can't get close enough to frighten me, but if, as you say you are just up the road in Sydney, as I suspect, that's a different matter.

But you'll be most welcome. Turn left at the first roundabout and then second right. I can give you my mobile number if you get stuck. GPS might help tGood HealthG oo!
Seriously though, are you also a Pom?
If you are, I can greet you with a warm beer (English style). If not, it will be a freezing coldie straight out of the frig. YUK!
Spike Milligan once described Aussie beer as "cryogenic mouth wash". He was spot on!

I prefer a drop of South Australian red (served at room temperature of course) any day of the week, or any time of the day come to think of it. confused

Perhaps that's why I've managed to hit the nineties.
Now that will have put you off. sad

Best Wishes and Good Health
Cheers

Marydoll Tue 10-Apr-18 11:58:19

Glad to see you have a sense of humour Rufus. ?
I look forward to reading your posts.

Rufus2 Tue 10-Apr-18 11:40:16

Hi "over the hill"
I'm sure your not!

Thanks for asking;
It's a non-regal award for long service "Over Bloody Eighty"
Very common at my local lawn bowls club. smile
There's nothing for being over ninety.
Not much demand unfortunately. sad

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Apr-18 09:30:01

Hello Rufus - all most welcome on all threads. Enjoy!

overthehill Tue 10-Apr-18 09:06:58

Hi Rufus you sound a game chap and at 90 and a half to. What is your OBE for?

Mapleleaf Tue 10-Apr-18 08:49:33

Welcome aboard, Rufus.

nanaK54 Mon 09-Apr-18 18:06:18

Welcome Rufus smile

Situpstraight Mon 09-Apr-18 17:00:18

Bit too far for me to run Bluebelle

BlueBelle Mon 09-Apr-18 10:18:22

Oh damm, swords at dawn eh

mcem Mon 09-Apr-18 09:37:40

Rufus you've made a good first impression!
If grandads run into trouble here, it's usually because they are either rather patronising or a bit unpleasant with their innuendos (which they find amusing but are often seen as creepy or unacceptable).
Given your cheerful start, I'm sure you won't find yourself being edged out!

PamelaJ1 Mon 09-Apr-18 09:30:23

Well Rufus I’ll be in Sydney next week, just down the road!
Be afraid, very afraid?

Rufus2 Mon 09-Apr-18 09:22:55

Thank you all very much for your welcomes. AWESOME!
What a relief; at first I was afraid of blundering into a no-go area for grandads and of being told to "get lost", or words to that effect. smile
Well observed BlueBelle; but no, I hadn't been out on the tiles till 4.00am (see later), and yes, I'm also a night owl. There are many roof solar panels out there with a high risk of electrocution. shock
I don't usually lay down my head "perchance to dream" until midnight or beyond. Whenever I'm stumbling around at 4.00am it's not to play with my computer. wink
But don't mind me; carry on with your naughtiness, I'm shockproof grinat my age.
My CVsadbriefly): I'm an "OBE" aged 90 and a half in fact (note the half; it's very important, to me at least} smile.
My better-half, Vera, died Christmas Eve 2015 a few days after our 62nd. wedding anniversary and I'm living alone in our house here in Melbourne, OZ.
That explains the apparent time anomaly BlueBelle; your 4.00am is our 1.00pm, a more civilised lunchtime!
I've spent half my life in the Old Dart and the rest, so far since 1971, here in Melbourne, so I hope I can present a balanced contribution to any discussions.

So, ladies, you can cancel your urgent podiatrist appointments and put those running shoes back under your beds.. [grin[. Sorry to disappoint you; you can't catch me here or lock me in your sheds. Tough! wink
If you're still with me thanks for your patience; I could go on about my family etc.: this has made me feel really good; it beats talking to myself even though I'm a very good listener (that must be why Vera loved me so much) smile, but there must be a word cap to avoid any boredom. If you insist I'll give you the second thrilling installment later!
Thank you all again, Good Wishes and Good Health

Rufus2 (a clean-shaven) Singleton, not Sewell !

BTW Grumppa thanks for your welcome, but are we the only two grandads in the frame.?

1974cookie Sun 08-Apr-18 17:55:37

Welcome to Gransnet Rufus. You may now be inundated with DIY questions. ??.
Seriously though, a Big Welcome to you.

tanith Sun 08-Apr-18 17:12:14

I think has Rufus has run for the hills ?

TwiceAsNice Sun 08-Apr-18 16:57:21

Welcome Rufus as you can see we all have a GSOH on here!

Situpstraight Sun 08-Apr-18 15:43:27

I’m not sharingbluebell it’s every granny for herself.

BlueBelle Sun 08-Apr-18 15:41:37

Thanks situpstraight I might join you then ummmm

vampirequeen Sun 08-Apr-18 15:40:20

Ooooh Rufus....if that's you then I'm in the race too.

kittylester Sun 08-Apr-18 15:39:16

Rufus Sewell played Lord M in Victoria.

Marydoll Sun 08-Apr-18 15:27:34

I wonder ? how "Rufus" feels about all these grans drooling over him? ?

Greyduster Sun 08-Apr-18 15:21:11

No, it wasn’t with him! Pity....

Situpstraight Sun 08-Apr-18 14:46:49

Rufus Sewell

BlueBelle Sun 08-Apr-18 13:18:39

Well as I ve no idea who Rufus Swel is so I ll stick to my original welcome and leave all you grans running to the shed