Gransnet forums

AIBU

to ask why several prominent members seem to have vanished?!?

(568 Posts)
jura2 Mon 09-Apr-18 16:44:10

Could anyone help here - some long serving and very interesting members seem to have just vanished. How did that happen. DJ, GGMK2 and WW. Where? and Why?

pensionpat Fri 04-May-18 10:47:55

And Julie Walters. I aspire to have my hair like hers. Well I have the right colour. It's a start.

Fennel Fri 04-May-18 10:41:33

Talking about hairstyles, I like the cut that Helen Mirren has now, and her hair's nearly white.

Iam64 Thu 03-May-18 22:00:31

anno, I had poker straight hair until my 40's, when it began to curve, a bit, inconsistently and not in a good way. I longed to have one of those stylish bobs you see but this was never possible. I had highlights and found myself turning blonde. I gave it up and now have an equally short hair cut to the one I had in the 70's except its silver and grey. Very liberating not to colour.

annodomini Thu 03-May-18 21:57:40

In the early 80s I had a curly perm and, looking at the photos of the time now, I simply cringe! My hair has always had a mind of its own and been the despair of most hairdressers. I have never been able to grow it long as it's very fine and blow-away. About 20 years ago, I had highlights which looked good but I got fed up having to have the roots done every few weeks and now it's mostly silver anyway.

Chewbacca Thu 03-May-18 21:46:02

Now that was posh! Dungarees! Oh how I loved my dungarees! With rolled up hems!

Iam64 Thu 03-May-18 21:37:57

Wow, in Lewis's - I'd pushed the boat out and gone to a Vidal Sassoon salon near St Anne's Square. I felt very posh indeed, despite my dungarees !

Chewbacca Thu 03-May-18 21:31:13

It was in Lewis's Iam! Salon was on the top floor, right at the back. I miss Lewis's

Yes, you're right, we've meandered quite a bit grin

Iam64 Thu 03-May-18 21:23:36

Oh, I wasn't at such a posh hairdresser Chewbacca. Mine turned to colleagues and said "it's what she wanted" as though I was off my trolley. On reflection, there may have been some truth in that but I never regretted my very short hair and felt liberated by it.
This thread has really wandered hasn't it

Chewbacca Thu 03-May-18 20:51:43

Well remembered Iam64! Nooooo! I didn't keep the perm. When I think back to the torture of them, I wonder where my common sense was! I've always had masses of hair (hence my nic name) and perms just added even more to the volume! My hair was like a Brillo pad by the 1980s! Like you, I chopped it off and went for the choppy elfin cut which I was reliably informed by a posh hairdresser was actually called "au savage"! grin

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 20:33:25

When I had my Supreme Commander cut it was when DM was visiting.
She giggled when she saw it and giggled every time she looked at me.
I thought I looked just fine
hmm

Bridgeit Thu 03-May-18 20:32:39

Perhaps she may resurface

Iam64 Thu 03-May-18 20:31:52

I make no apologies for going back a few posts.
Chewbacca! Am I right in remembering you may be a north west woman? I had the same hair change in 1978. From long, very straight, hippy type hair to a perm. It changed my life. I went from perm to very short, I think the proper description is elfin cut.
Did you stay permed? Did you go very short. I confess, my extremely short hair cut coincided with divorce and real involvement in feminist activities. Fabulous years.
Isn't life grand. Don't we all welcome change.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 20:26:00

But perhaps her sister didn't.
If she had one.

BlueBelle Thu 03-May-18 20:19:10

Isn’t she commit ssuicide ?

Baggs Thu 03-May-18 19:36:50

Two sisters of Persephone.

SylviaPlathssister Thu 03-May-18 19:09:39

I have named changed

janeainsworth Fri 27-Apr-18 17:03:15

Ah thanks atqui smile

Atqui Fri 27-Apr-18 13:55:17

Janeainsworth. Sorry if I caused confusion grin . Luckylegs asked "Are all the pages like those, political pointless arguing to and fro about racism etc? Please tell me they aren't!"
So I was just pointing out that the thread had morphed into a discussion on hairstyles we have known!!

Bathsheba Thu 26-Apr-18 12:32:02

When I was 18 and working in London there was a new type of perm, all the rage, called a demi-wave. It gave your hair soft bouncy curls and looked very natural. I rang my local hairdresser and asked if they could do it. They'd never heard of it, so I described it and they said Oh yes, I know what you mean. I stupidly booked an appointment. I mean, honestly, what was I thinking? It was obvious they had no clue what a demi-wave perm was. I came out with what I could only describe as a granny perm, so embarrassing blush.
When I got home I dashed straight upstairs, locked myself in the bathroom, and cut it all off - my hair was about half an inch all over. But it was either that or give up my job/friends/boyfriend and live like a recluse till it grew out grin

Jalima1108 Wed 25-Apr-18 19:40:19

My mum went to the hairdresser's for her perms and a 'shampoo and set' every week for years, and I used to get taken there to have mine cut when I was a child. After she was ill either I or my sister-IL washed and set her hair and sometimes I cut it for her too. I could set my mum's hair in rollers with my eyes shut because she had the same style as long back as I could remember. Just like the Queen's. smile

Day6 Wed 25-Apr-18 19:17:57

I tried a home perm on my Mum once and she was very pleased with the result. That made me brave so I permed my own! It took forever with all that solution, tiny rollers and bits of paper. I managed it though and it wasn't bad! (It's a good job curly hair was fashionable.) I am a bit gung-ho about my hair. If it gets on my nerves I take the scissors to it! So far so good. No disasters! (My children think I am daft!)

To get back to the thread title, perhaps the departed posters will come back in disguise - maybe wearing wigs? grin

Jalima1108 Wed 25-Apr-18 18:24:54

Do you remember home perms?
My dad used to do mine before I left home and a very good job he made of them too, especially considering he was an engineer and not a hairdresser!

Chewbacca Wed 25-Apr-18 18:21:18

I'll try to post a photo of the perm I had in 1978 to give you a giggle. My hair was down to my shoulders and it was very straight, thick and heavy. The perm left my hair dead straight from a centre parting and then ballooned into a mass of corkscrew curls at my ears. I looked like a spaniel for weeks.

janeainsworth Wed 25-Apr-18 16:42:37

lemon shockgrin
atqui I’m confused

Atqui Wed 25-Apr-18 16:23:10

Luckylegs Tue 24-Apr-18 15:54:27
There's your answer !