Gransnet forums

AIBU

Windrush Generation

(429 Posts)
Hermia46 Tue 17-Apr-18 08:48:26

The actions by the current Home Office make me ashamed to be British. The attempts to declare the Windrush generation of Caribbeans illegal immigrants is yet another example of witless politicians and civil servants who appear to be unable to work out the impact of their policies and ultimately laws on ALL citizens of Britain. I am appalled by the current fiasco. These people answered the call for support as members of the Commonwealth and this is how we treat them. I hang my head in shame.

lemongrove Wed 02-May-18 22:14:44

grin
My bus pass is a bit like that, I look a bit of a shady character.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-May-18 22:14:00

Utility bills are usually in one name, not joint names.
Ours used to be in mine but since DH took over the household finances when he retired, they are in his name.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-May-18 22:12:18

Does it look better ir worse Jalima ?
It's horrendous and even DH agreed it did not look like me.

I will probably be scanned, patted down, taken aside again at every airport, but that is no different to usual! [sigh]

MaizieD Wed 02-May-18 21:43:29

The evidence for voter fraud is minuscule

All of the five pilot areas say that they've never had any voter fraud. I can't help thinking that it is a diversionary tactic. It looks like 'strong' government action against abuse though it's rather meaningless if there isn't much abuse...

Joelsnan claims that voting 'on behalf' of another is a well known practice in some communities. Does she mean proxy voting? Which is perfectly legal, though I appreciate it could be open to abuse. If it is abused I can't see how producing voter ID is going to solve the problem.

maryeliza54 Wed 02-May-18 21:06:18

My polling card was delivered ages ago - not everyone is organised enough to keep them especially as you have never needed them before to cast your vote

maryeliza54 Wed 02-May-18 21:04:00

The evidence for voter fraud is minuscule - it really is. It wasn’t in NI so I can see why voter ID cards were introduced there.

MaizieD Wed 02-May-18 19:35:34

In the Swindon pilot area the voter just has to produce their polling card. They only have to have other ID if they don't have it with them. One assumes that different methods are being carried out in each of the different pilot areas.

I'd be perfectly happy with a polling card.

Joelsnan Wed 02-May-18 19:34:58

I don't think ID cards would deter people from voting it would however stop those who 'vote on behalf' of others a well recognised practice in some communities.

Iam64 Wed 02-May-18 19:17:32

mostly harmless is right, I wonder how large the group who don't have a utility bill in their name is. Our children like so many others, lived in shared accommodation when they left home.
My grandsons live in their mothers tenancy, they're over 18 but won't have utility bills. Neither of them are in employment currently either so if they lived in one of the target areas, would that leave them disenfranchised. I feel ill informed as I've no idea.
I've in the past felt opposed to ID cards but begin to wonder if, provided no one had to pay for them, it might not be the worst idea ever.

mostlyharmless Wed 02-May-18 18:37:19

Not everyone over 18 would have a utility bill in their name. Youngsters living at home or in shared houses or in hostels wouldn’t usually.
I’m not sure if bus passes have photos certified by a professional person, unlike driving licences and passports. Mine wasn’t certified - it was quite casual. Would that be official enough?
But this is just a pilot project so the idea is they will find out how workable asking for ID is and also trying to work out if it puts people off voting.

Eloethan Wed 02-May-18 18:16:14

Surely most people would have a utility bill, if nothing else? I do think that if votes are being fiddled there should be a bit more scrutiny.

lemongrove Wed 02-May-18 17:37:27

Does it look better ir worse Jalima ? grin

lemongrove Wed 02-May-18 17:36:41

The English bus passes also have photo ID as do student ID cards.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-May-18 16:12:41

My new passport photo looks nothing like me now they have digitised it or whatever they do.

Welshwife Wed 02-May-18 16:10:52

The Welsh bus passes have photo ID.

mostlyharmless Wed 02-May-18 16:08:46

You may very well think so paddy.

paddyann Wed 02-May-18 15:50:04

that'll stop people who cant afford passports or dont have driving licenses from voting surely? Is that the idea ? Do people on low incomes have no right to vote ? Would they vote for the "wrong" party?

mostlyharmless Wed 02-May-18 15:44:55

The trials are in Bromley, Woking, Watford, Gosport and Swindon only. I think you need to show photo ID and a utility bill. Sounds simple but is likely to put some people off voting.

mostlyharmless Wed 02-May-18 15:38:35

It’s a pilot thing for the local elections this week paddy. Only in a few English towns. It’s because of allegations of electoral impersonation. Probably a sledgehammer to crack a nut as the amount of electoral fraud is thought to be tiny - 28 alleged cases in 2017.
You can’t help but think that the extra effort of finding documents will put people off voting even if they are not cheating.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/01/government-claim-of-voter-surge-misleading-says-watchdog?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Welshwife Wed 02-May-18 15:30:42

It is a new rule they are thinking about - not sure if it is everyone. ——-

paddyann Wed 02-May-18 15:26:15

I've never needed ID for voting..is this an England only thing or a new rule thats passed me by?

mostlyharmless Wed 02-May-18 14:56:05

Yes ID cards should be free for everyone. As Eloethan says, anyone who couldn’t afford one would be treated as suspicious. You need ID for so many things now, renting a flat, buying a house, DBS (criminal records) checks for employment or even voluntary work, voting, opening a bank account etc.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-May-18 14:05:25

£100 is a lot of money though and I suppose there's a possibility that those who can't afford to pay this sort of amount might eventually be in a minority and end up being viewed with suspicion and subjected to more invasive and inconvenient security checks.
More than it costs for a passport in fact!

NfkDumpling Wed 02-May-18 14:00:50

The Home Office is just too big to be efficient. I agree with loopylou. Absolutely. Perfect solution.

And yes, I’d love an ID card. At the moment in effect it’s my driving licence so why not make it official.

Eloethan Wed 02-May-18 14:00:32

I agree that if people are compelled to have an ID card then it should be free of charge. Some people might like the convenience of having an ID card and opt to do so, in which case there should, I think, be a charge. £100 is a lot of money though and I suppose there's a possibility that those who can't afford to pay this sort of amount might eventually be in a minority and end up being viewed with suspicion and subjected to more invasive and inconvenient security checks.