Gransnet forums

AIBU

This school has banned pencil cases

(224 Posts)
Floradora9 Fri 11-May-18 16:20:08

St Wilfrid's Primary School in Blyth, Northumberland has banned pencil cases because it could stigmatise the poorer pupils. What next ? Perhaps only NHS glasses to be worn , Primark knickers , Aldi snacks. I think this is so mad .

notanan2 Sun 13-May-18 21:27:07

Laundry is not easily done when youre sofa surfing or housed in one room of a b&b and locked out from morning till evening, as is the case with a lot of "hidden homeless" children/families.

thats not poor parenting/management. Thats just straight up poverty!

When you have to live like that, no or limited access to a kitchen, evicted from b&b & made "willfully homeless" ie off the housing list if you store food in your room, your money will quickly be eaten up on "on the go food" and thrify ideas like bulk buying are not an option!!

mostlyharmless Sun 13-May-18 21:09:31

Quite agree Iam64.
On the Andrew Marr programme today someone said (can’t remember who) that Sure Start money saved (by closing down Sure Start centres) would be used to pay for more Health Visitors to target the neediest families.
I’m not so sure these families are “easy to reach”. Health visitors can be seen as busybody Social Workers by some families.

Iam64 Sun 13-May-18 20:28:05

Our welfare state isn't 'generous'. We're stuck in a discussion where some of us believe that the pencil case issue is PC gone mad. The other group, the one I'm a member of, disagrees and believes the school that adapted the poverty proofing the NE approach is doing the right thing.
Anyone who has worked in schools or with children on the margins will realise just how deprived the lives of some children are.
Tessa Jowell died today. One of her achievements was the work she did on Sure Start. It's devastating for those of us involved in Family Centre work see the austerity approach closing down the places that did so much to assist children like the little girl gillybob talks about.

Nanna58 Sun 13-May-18 20:16:25

I think everything, and I mean everything, a child wears or takes to school should be of a standard kind, made available to buy from the school. Judicious use by the school of selling secondhand gear helps poorer families. We were absolutely boracic ( boracic lint- skint) when I was a child and the blessed relief of looking like, and having the same stuff as others at school, was a real,welcome change from the rest of our time.

JenniferEccles Sun 13-May-18 20:01:56

Exactly Jalima1108

Jalima1108 Sun 13-May-18 19:46:32

We have a generous welfare state so there is no need whatsoever for any child to go to school hungry or in dirty clothes.
a bar of soap, a flannel, some own-brand cereal and milk is surely not beyond the reach of even those who are very hard up - even if expensive pencil cases are.

JenniferEccles Sun 13-May-18 18:55:00

I am pretty sure I read recently that the gap between the haves and have nots in this country is actually decreasing not increasing.

We have a generous welfare state so there is no need whatsoever for any child to go to school hungry or in dirty clothes.

I am not trying to pretend that there aren't families who are struggling, but in my opinion a lot of 'poverty' is down to bad parenting, and bad financial management.

Also why do so many of these people have 4, 5, 6 children or more? What happened to the idea of only having the children you can afford?

Bridgeit Sun 13-May-18 14:04:49

Sadly we will never have a level playing field, perhaps the school should provide boxes or tins with names on so no one needs a pencil case in school & those that have them or want them could keep them in their bags or at home.
Pretending or trying to hide inequality doesn’t help anyone, practical solutions need to be found , I guess that’s what this school tried to do , not sure it is the best way.

trisher Sun 13-May-18 13:44:27

No I'm not. I haven't criticised your GD at all just pointed out that charity isn't always welcomed. Sometimes the well intentioned do more harm than good.
I did ask you what you would to solve theose problems.

gillybob Sun 13-May-18 11:45:00

Whatever you say trisher but you’re implying that my DGD would bragging about her little pencil case in order to deliberately hurt another child which is a very twisted way of looking at something .
But if it makes you feel that it will solve the problems of poverty and neglect in the North East then crack on .

trisher Sun 13-May-18 11:31:18

No I am pointing out that the rule you have so decried is there to make this little girl feel a bit more equal. It's not going to solve all her problems of course but it is something that is working towards making her feel more equal. And the little you might be asked to do, which is for your GD to keep her stationary at home seems to be too much to ask. And if you think about it your GD sharing her stationary might just be rubbing salt into the wound and reminding this little girl of how little she has.

gillybob Sun 13-May-18 11:19:31

Shall I ask her to give her her shoes, school jumper and school bag too ? Perhaps she should take her home and ask my DiL to adopt her ? You are being silly trisher

trisher Sun 13-May-18 11:00:03

And that is expected to make her feel better????!!! shock

gillybob Sun 13-May-18 10:59:17

Have read your post mostlyharmless and will read the link later when I have more time.

I stand by my thoughts that banning all sorts of things won’t change the lives of some children who are “dragged up” by awful parents . Not always to do with poverty either , often just sheer neglect .

gillybob Sun 13-May-18 10:56:05

They’re not in the same class trisher my DGD is yr 5 this little girl is in my grandsons class year 3 .

However If they were in the same class I think, knowing my DGD she would happily share with her and probably bring her some little bits in from home as she has done with others in the past.

mostlyharmless Sun 13-May-18 10:54:46

Banning fancy pencil cases is just the BBC headline (chosen to be controversial and grab attention) about a serious attempt to tackle inequality in schools!

Pencil cases are just a minor part of the project.

Poverty Proofing the School Day is a project developed by Children North East. The project provides a toolkit to poverty proof the school day, to reduce stigma and remove barriers to learning and to assist schools in exploring the most effective way to spend pupil premium allocation.

The project has resulted in less bullying, less truancy, better behaviour and better results. It not just about pencil cases!

www.povertyproofing.co.uk/about/

trisher Sun 13-May-18 10:44:00

I wonder gillybob how you think the dirty little girl feels when she sees your GDG getting out her stationary collection?

gillybob Sun 13-May-18 10:43:26

Sadly all the banning of pencil cases in the world won’t do anything for the little girl I am talking about trisher . I am often in school helping with bits and pieces and have approached my grandsons teacher who is lovely and asked her if she could pass on various pieces of used but perfectly good clothes from my older granddaughters. She told me in confidence that the gesture (wherever it came from) would be met with hostility.
Sadly in life there are always those who have more than enough and those who don’t have enough. My grandchildren are somewhere in the middle, they get by and I really can’t see how denying my granddaughter the pleasure of her little pencil case and colouring pencils that she happily shares (as do her little friends theirs) with others, will make one iota of difference. As henetha said it’s just PC gone mad and a feeble attempt to make everything right when it just isn’t .

trisher Sun 13-May-18 10:32:56

So what would you do gillybob? I have no doubt that staff are working hard to address the problems you highlight. Trying to help the little girl by teaching her personal hygiene and hoping that she will in time be able to develop good habits. I know that staff in schools spend time and effort on such children, but you can't change family circumstances. I have seen staff establish and build self esteem in children with very little in the way of family support. There are no rules you can make to change family circumstances. And it is far better that children come school, poorly dressed, dirty or badly prepared than not coming at all.
Banning pencil cases is part of a solution to the growing problem of the huge gap between the haves and have-nots. It isn't the whole solution. It is a step on the way and far better than doing nothing.
Perhaps getting behind such measures would be one way you could help the little girl in Year 3 and certainly better than just weeping.

henetha Sun 13-May-18 10:31:03

Another example of political correctness gone mad.
It's utterly bonkers.

Jalima1108 Sun 13-May-18 10:27:04

I agree gillbybob
Of course there will always be those who have more than others and perhaps parents should be advised not to send their children into school with expensive things such as extortionately priced pencil cases.

It's also sensible to keep an eye out for the lunch box that consistently contains an extremely poor lunch (who ever thought that a Mars Bar alone could be a nutritional and balanced lunch?). In cases like the one you mention, gilly, then warning bells should be ringing in case others need to be alerted and an assessment made.

gillybob Sun 13-May-18 08:57:44

It seems to me as one huge cop out. Banning pencil cases and little treats in lunch boxes instead of looking at the much bigger picture. At my DGC’s primary school there are children coming to school completely inappropriately dressed. Plimsolls and thin summer dresses in the height of winter etc. There’s a little girl in my DGS’s class (yr 3) that’s so dirty and unkempt I could cry for her. There are parents who are regularly told off by the caretaker for their use of bad language in the playground.

But let’s ban pencil cases eh? That will get to the bottom of it. confused

sodapop Sun 13-May-18 08:31:26

Who would have thought a pencil case could be so contentious - ok I know its about bigger issues . Just off to do some backward planning now.

notanan2 Sat 12-May-18 23:18:44

I still think that introducing a 'school pencil case' which can be bought cheaply

do you mean for secondary?
because in primary theres no need. stationary is provided. So any stationary or pencil cases at all being brought to school are being brought for novelty not function

Jalima1108 Sat 12-May-18 22:40:18

I still think that introducing a 'school pencil case' which can be bought cheaply (perhaps subsidised by fundraising) and of which the children can be proud would be the better way forward.

There are better ways to crack a nut than using a sledgehammer.