Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU posts

(10 Posts)
OldMeg Tue 29-May-18 07:29:24

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, “My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all.

“One is Evil – It is anger, envy, jealousy, bitterness, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

“The other is Good – It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

Bathsheba Tue 29-May-18 07:49:25

I've come across this story before OldMeg and it's certainly very thought provoking. They say happiness is not a condition, it's a decision and I think there's a lot of truth in that. Have you read the book "The Light Between Oceans"? Set in Australia, there is a scene where a young German fellow is asked by his wife how he manages to stay so calm in the face of the ongoing racist comments and taunts directed at him. His answer? "You only have to forgive once. To resent, you have to do it all day, every day, all the time. You have to keep remembering the bad things. It's too much work."

sodapop Tue 29-May-18 08:04:07

That is a good story OldMeg
I know what I should do but sometimes it's just good to vent on AIBU.

DanniRae Tue 29-May-18 08:08:38

OldMeg - thank you x

OldMeg Tue 29-May-18 08:11:42

I have read it Bathsheba and I seem to remember a quote like that. It’s very true.

It’s not exactly a ‘story’ sodapop is it? It’s something to reflect on.

OldMeg Tue 29-May-18 08:12:28

DanniRae ??

Blinko Tue 29-May-18 10:38:41

I have seen it before and it's one of my favourite parables. Thanks, OldMeg.

lemongrove Tue 29-May-18 10:58:25

It’s a very good thing to reflect on, as nursing resentment or anger makes it grow.
Not ‘sweating’ the small things but trying to see the bigger picture is always worth doing, but part of the human condition is that at times, we will always fall short.
Onwards and upwards!

kittylester Tue 29-May-18 11:59:13

Some people have the sort of character that allows them to do that - others don't.

OldMeg Tue 29-May-18 12:59:18

Sorry kitty I refuse to believe that people can’t change. But I take your point in general, but it’s more a case of ‘won’t’ rather than ‘can’t’.

I bet we all know (or knew) those who won’t (or wouldn’t) ?