Gransnet forums

AIBU

I'm drowning in all his stuff

(80 Posts)
Acciaccatura Sun 03-Jun-18 09:35:16

I have been married to my husband for 45 years. We live in a reasonable sized house (4/5 bedrooms, 3 receptions, cellar, double garage) in the country. He is a kind and thoughtful man but one thing is driving me crazy. He will not let go of any of his stuff. How can two people not fit into a house that size. His stuff will no longer fit onto shelves and into drawers. He has so many clothes he never wears, inherited furniture, books galore, video tapes, old photograph albums, LPs not to mention DIY stuff. I could go on. I feel as though I'm drowning in all his stuff and I'm beginning to despair. Maybe it would stress him to let go of his stuff but surely not any more than it stresses me having to live with it day in day out. I have tried talking it through reasonably with him and he agrees with me. But nothing changes. I don't think anyone will be able to suggest anything I haven't already tried but here's hoping!

Fennel Tue 03-Jul-18 19:49:41

I've just seen this thread - same problem with my husband.
We've just moved into a much smaller house and he has realised it himself. Where to put everything?
But believe it or not he's still acquiring more stuff.
It must be a psychiatric syndrome with a name?

alchemilla Tue 03-Jul-18 19:35:45

I do recommend checking out your local council recycling yard. We have one that allows you to chuck the really chuckable, but has a place for unredeemable clothes (goes to rag recyclers) - plant pots, deck chairs, old LPs and tapes etc are put into a shop where people can buy them. Unfortunately hoarding is unfathomable to non-hoarders - had a friend whose DD cleared out a whole garage of unreachable stuff (including dead rats/mice) and all friend could say was "but there were wedding presents in there - what if the people who gave them came round?" The wedding was nearly 50 years ago, and the people would never have found them under the sacks of rotting clothes and photos. Friend's pain was heartfelt.

annep Fri 15-Jun-18 22:45:34

newnanny you made me laugh too. Perhaps thats the best approach.

DollyPond Fri 08-Jun-18 13:18:36

I've had a similar problem as I've been in the process of clearing and sorting clutter for years since moving in to look after my elderly mother and some of the things have been hard for me to get rid of.

What has helped make it easier is taking photos of items of clothing so there is still a record of it but the item can then be released to charity.

I look online to see if a favourite vhs video is available on a cd which would take up less space and allow me to get rid of lots of those videos.

I put things into cardboard boxes over several weeks and make it a rule never to delve back in or I might have second thoughts. Then I phone a charity who come and collect the boxes. They will come in and carry heavy items downstairs so I don't have to do a lot of hauling about.

I also get onto Freecycle to advertise larger items as then the recipient will arrange the right size transport to take the item away for free.

A lot of it is psychological and the thought of just putting something special into a dustbin feels wrong so my way round that is to put the item into a bag and tie that and then put that into the bin.

Another thing which might help is to think about how much someone else, a collector maybe, would love those items.

At the start I would walk into a room, see all the stuff and walk out in despair, not knowing where to start but doing a bit at a time really ends up making a difference.

What else has motivated me is watching those tv programmes about hoarders as I didn't want to be thought of like that also when I checked online for a clutter clearing service and saw the price they charge I just had to get stuck into it myself.

Anything that I think might be worth money I put in an old suitcase on top of a wardrobe but those aren't large items.

I always wanted to clear the clutter but found emotional hurdles with some of the things I came across so I understand both perspectives on your problem.

faye17 Wed 06-Jun-18 20:39:43

Huge empathy for your situation. I am in the same one myself with my husband. Slowly his stuff is overtaking the beautiful home I've spent 40 years making without his help and despite his hoarding nature. His stuff is multiples of the same books and notes - he can't locate the originals in his mess so he buys another, and so on. I know it is a mental illness but until he accepts that and initiates a change nobody can help. The lovely creativity I had awhile making our family home is being strangled out of me, I cower in my bedroom because I can no longer face the chaos he's created everywhere else. The love I had for him is dead and I am filled with resentment for what that love did to my life. While highly intelligent and very well educated I stayed home to raise our children and now find myself with scant financial resources and no real independence.
I really wish I could give you a more optimistic reply. Sometimes it helps just to write it down - even if we don't expect anybody to be able to help. Good luck to you.

oodles Wed 06-Jun-18 18:33:02

newnanny, I see his logic, does he actually ever mend things? Not that I've ever taken one apart but I wonder if usually, the same bits go on such items, they are all electronic so it would not be easy even if they were different faults.
My husband ran off with another woman several years ago, we'd been together nearly 40 years, married for most of them. I'm STILL getting rid of stuff he saved because it might come in handy off old items. Just been getting rid of old bike bits, yes some might have been useful had they been in any order. But a lot of the bits were broken or damaged. He did simple bike repairs but nothing more than that. My son is in his 30s, I found something in the shed that had been broken since before he was born, it had been replaced when he was a young baby. And an old fuse box he'd replaced in the garage, why on earth. I won't go on with things like that as if anyone knows me in real life I've probably moaned about it. So while I strongly believe you shouldn't throw other people's stuff away, if I had my time again I'd throw things like that away that are of no possible use to anyone ever
I have given away today my old beloved bike which has seen better days and needs a lot of work doing on it, to someone who says it is a hobby of his doing up old bikes and selling them on, he said he even pulls them out of skips. So glad to have found him [and am now feeling a bit bad about the old bike bits I threw away, but he probably has loads of spares]
I've found that it can take time to find homes for things, but I've rehomed a lot of things that I'd never have imagined that I would have, it's popular to upcycle old furniture nowadays, and stuff has gone to people who do that sort of thing
Aldi are selling a small turntable from tomorrow which says it can convert record tracks to electronic files don't know if any husbands might like to take on that as a project, to shift the LPs.

newnanny Wed 06-Jun-18 13:09:47

Oodles that is another thing that makes me mad my dh keeps old videos and was thought if i accidentally broke the video player he might throw the videos away, but oh no, he told a friend it was broken and came home with a replacement he had been given. it made me want to scream because he has all films on DVD and also some on Blu ray. To make it worse he wanted to keep old one for spare parts as same brand. I drew the line at this so threw it away on bin day.

newnanny Wed 06-Jun-18 13:03:12

Annep you made me chuckle with one carpet on top on another that is the same logic my dh uses for keeping absolute rubbish. His parents insist on giving him a local newspaper from town he was brought up in and they still live in. Whenever we visit he brings home two or three carriers of the things. Then he puts them in shed and forgets to read them. I keep telling him they are a fire hazard but he insists he will read them all in time and that he is interested in the births deaths and marriages as he may know some of these people. Result almost 1/3 of garage full of old papers. The children think it is hilarious.

Acciaccatura Wed 06-Jun-18 09:54:01

Yet more thoughtful posts. I'm overwhelmed by your generosity.
My husband is happy to pass on anything he no longer needs but he isn't always successful in finding a new home for things. What he can't stand is wilful waste. That said, he's off to the tip this morning. Yeh!!! I think most of the stuff is from the garden shed though! Still, it shows willing and a new mind set so, as the footballers say, I'm taking the positives out of it.

Stansgran Wed 06-Jun-18 08:48:37

DH is away this week and I'm upping my throw one thing away a week to one thing morning and afternoon. He has a tendency to look in the oxfam bag so I'm stapling the tops of the bags together .
I do feel guilty as I have a sewing room brimming with material and projects and if I throw out anything of his I feel a hypocrite. He brought home a record player which needed speakers from a friend. He will not accept that he has to get speakers and does not know that all our records went when cds came in. I put it in the garage yesterday . I don't think he will notice. Sigh .

loopyloo Wed 06-Jun-18 08:33:57

I do tend to acquire too much stuff. I can always think that something will make my life much easier. A new garden tool or a new kitchen gadget. I bought a large square frying pan with sections so could cook different things for myself and DH . But takes up a lot of space and not that easy to cook with.
Have decided the thing to do is put things straight in to a black rubbish bag or bag for charity shop.
Off we go.

MaudLillian Wed 06-Jun-18 08:25:40

Being a clutterbug myself, and someone reluctant to throw away stuff if it can't be recycled usefully, I can relate to your husband. A lot of my stuff is sentimental attachment - my kids' school stuff, photographs which are precious to me - that kind of thing. But as far as I know, my things aren't causing stress to anyone I live with - most of it is in my own bedroom or the garage. I think the suggestion of self storage is a good one - I would definitely consider that if my precious things were giving my husband real problems. I do occasionally have a good old sort out, but mostly this is just paper and clothes - anything recyclable. My 'collection' is compounded at the moment by a great deal of stuff that came from my Mum;s flat after she died last year.

oodles Wed 06-Jun-18 00:07:07

Grandtante that sounds eminently sensible for clothing. I'm sure that would get the pile down. And then when you both see what is left you can think of other ways to cut the amount down. Maybe if there are 2 almost identical suits - which is the nicest one, keep that, am assuming that while he will wear some sometimes it's not like he needs one.
every day like perhaps he might have in the past.
Marie Kondo suggests leaving sentimental stuff to the end of the process, which I think is very wise. What is sentimental will vary from person to person. I'm sure photos will be in this category
Videotapes - maybe first see if there are any duplicates and if there are ask him if you can get rid of those. Eventually, your video player will break and you can't get new ones so maybe he'd agree to look through them to decide which his favourites are, and replace them with secondhand DVDs, safely stored either out of their cases in suitable boxes or a folder. Any family videos then get someone to transfer them to DVDs, so you can enjoy them for years to come when your video player no longer works. My father's cousin took lots of movies on the old sort of film, but after she dies it was discovered that the films were no longer playable as the film had degraded. We'd have loved to have had the old family films transferred to a more modern medium.
Books, for me this would be sentimental in part. /might he be happy to pass on say beginner books about his hobbies on to someone just starting, and keep more advanced books, perhaps. Again are there duplicates, if so would he send one off to the charity shop? Any books on hobbies he no longer is really interested in, would he let these go so that someone else can benefit from them?
Would you feel better if they all fitted on the shelves? If so, work towards that.
DIY stuff - again are there any duplicates, would he pass on some to someone just starting off in life? Broken or rusty tools kept just in case, ask him if you can get rid of these. Decorating, do you have wallpaper from the decorating job before last, put on freecycle. Old paint - is it still usable? if it has gone hard then take to the tip. If it is still usable but an old colour, there are organisations that take usable paint for community projects or for people who cannot afford to pay for good quality paint - see if there is a community repaint near you. Or again freecycle
Not something Marie Kondo would agree with but I've come across the concept of an 'emotional withdrawal ' box, stuff you are not sure of, but don't want to get rid of just yet, put it away for a few months somewhere out of the way, and then decide if you've missed what is in the box. Chances are that most of the stuff will not be wanted, a few bits might, and that's ok.
Don't get rid of his things without his permission, if he is a true hoarder that will make things worse. It sounds as if you'll need to do a lot of the sorting for him, but it will be worth it to feel better. Make sure you keep on top of your stuff too, is there anything you could rehome. I don't know if this will apply but if he gets something new, try and help him find something old to get rid of, so things don't start to get worse.
It is not easy and it will take time, but I personally have found the more decluttering I do the easier it gets, and I have recently got rid of something that was expensive and of which I have fond memories using, as it would cost too much to make it workable again, and I'd not actually use it tbh, and it takes up so much room! I don't know if the perceived value of things is an issue, if something really is valuable then do try and sell it, but if it is just that it cost a lot in the first place, look at how much it might cost to replace as a second-hand article on eBay. If something isn't used, no matter how much it originally cost, it is not going to have cost any less sitting around at home.
there are lots of ideas for digitising music and photos, but thos will need to wait for another day,
Good luck, let us know how you get on and come back and share what worked for you

codfather Tue 05-Jun-18 22:56:24

I can fully sympathise with your husband. I too am a hoarder! I know that I have to clear out the junk but itis still difficult to decide what to get rid of. As a result, I go through stuff and chuck some out. I'm just about keeping up with what new stuff comes in. I'm working on it but would prefer to do it at my own pace, however long it takes! Putting pressure on me doesn't work.

Acciaccatura Tue 05-Jun-18 09:41:34

Sarahellenwhitney: you ask whether he doesn't have any interests. Nothing could be further from the truth. He works voluntarily and tirelessly for the community, plays sport, sings, does the gardening and decorating as well as the usual family stuff. In fact, maybe he does too much and that is the problem. Not enough time or energy left to do the sorting!
However, you have all inspired me so much that I truly believe things are going to change. Watch this space...pun intended ?

annep Tue 05-Jun-18 09:11:15

excuse the typos!

annep Tue 05-Jun-18 09:09:53

My husband is like that. luckily we live in a small 3 bedroom 1 living room house si its less than yours. All his stuff is in one big bedroom and the shed. Both are unbelievably cluttered. I have sort of got used to it and just close the door as i did with my teenagers. I wish it was different but it wont be. I do take clothes and keep them in a drawer and when he hasn't missed them for a while I get rid of them. I tidy now and again and get rid of the odd thing but its a losing battle. I bought him a huge cd holder to tidy the ones lying around and justcdiscovered the old little one in thd snall bedroom! Our old carpet from downstairs is on top of the carpet in his manroom. (apparently it softens the noise from the guitar and amp. any excuse to keep it!) If I were you I would cram it into one large room or as small an area as possible. close the door and try to forget its there. Life's too short to fret over it.

gillybob Tue 05-Jun-18 07:43:16

We moved from a large house with a garage to a much smaller house with no garage and boy did that make us get rid of all the clutter . There simply isn’t any room for it .
I regularly go through my wardrobes and cupboards and get rid ( donate or dump) anything we no longer need . It’s very refreshing and therapeutic once you get started.

Pat609 Tue 05-Jun-18 00:17:44

You have my sympathy, my DH is exactly the same. He can't get rid of anything, not only that if anyone offers him anything he grabs it with both hands. We have a reasonably large garden the latest count he has 21 cars and a caravan we don't use. Most of the cars have been ours though some have been given to him. We have old bricks ready to build a new garage which I know is never going to be built. Wooden beams, again for said garage, which have been in the garden for so long they have rotted. Five sheds and a large garage, all full to the brim. The list of his hoard is endless. We've been married 53 years and I love him dearly, but his hoarding drives me mad, the only positive thing I can say is that it is outside and not in the house.

Grammaretto Mon 04-Jun-18 22:29:24

I like your tolerant attitude Day6.
As a result of this thread today I have taken a boot load of rubbish to the tip and a couple of items to charity. I also put a lot of papers on the fire so have made a start and feel it's a bit more under control. We have even been through some boxes together and been able to part with some things.
Thankyou Acciaccatura

queenofsaanich69 Mon 04-Jun-18 16:45:38

My DH still has 2 sweaters from his teen years and his rugby kit from his twenties ,I wonder if we should vacuum pack the stuff,we have been married 49 years !

Day6 Mon 04-Jun-18 16:31:18

Yes, people with attachment to stuff are not mentally ill. I really don't know many true minimalists or many people who are wonderfully organised.

The hoarding programmes I have seen on TV show people not being able to dispose of household rubbish, food wrappings, etc and their bins overflow. Their living spaces tend to be piled with stuff ceiling high and they don't clean. Toilets and sinks tend to be disgusting and completely filthy and unhygienic. Some hold on to milk bottles full of urine and mice droppings are on everything. I'd say that state denotes a problem with attachment, or even ADD to a very high degree. There are tiny paths through the rubbish and beds cannot be used because they can't be accessed.

I know there are sliding scales and often an unresolved trauma can be responsible for allowing things to get completely out of hand. I imagine an overwhelming state of disorder and clutter could cause depression too.

On the other hand there are people who like things and find joy in them. A certain amount of clutter is ok with me although I don't like messy or dirty surroundings. I much prefer houses full of interesting things and books and paintings than ones with empty rooms or rooms with very little character, which to me seem very cold and sterile, like show homes. I think by the same token minimalists and perfectionists might be deemed to have a mental health problem grin wink

Most of us know when a lot becomes too much I think.

newnanny Mon 04-Jun-18 16:19:34

Have you tried asking him to throw or give away 2 items per day? Even if it is dumping a couple of video tapes everyone has to start somewhere and once started it becomes a habit. If he did this it would be 60 items in a month. Get some charity bags as another poster suggested and ask if he can fill one bag in a week. Guilt trip him by telling him there are some people who really need some of the 'stuff' he hoards and does not use. Do you have children or nieces or nephews you could offer bits of furniture to? Good luck, my dh hoards a bit but not as much as yours and I sometimes secretly throw the worst bits of 'rubbish' out he will not miss and he has never even looked for items.

KirbyGirl Mon 04-Jun-18 16:14:30

I have started after reading Marie Kondo . She says you should do each category all at once, like clothes for example. And you should touch everything and see whether it gives you joy. Well, I now have a wonderful knicker drawer and sock drawer. But I have to say the only thing I really felt joy about was a pair of satin cami knickers which I have never worn and could now not wear at all. None of my knickers or socks gave me any joy, so I may have to go without.

I went on to the help for hoarders site and one of the questions is 'can you use the room for its proper purpose,' or words to that effect. Breathed a sigh of relief, obviously, although far too much stuff, I am not mentally ill. I am not sure that the poster's husband is either.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-Jun-18 16:10:57

You say your husband agrees with you that he has too much stuff, but nothing changes.

Does this mean that you are waiting for him to start sorting what to keep and what to get rid of?

If it does, if he is at all like the hoarders in my family, you will wait till Doomsday for him to do anything about it. He is probably waiting for you to start!

My way of dealing with this situation is to sort through clothes etc myself and put anything that no longer fits, is too worn into an OUT pile, then ask DH if he particularly wants to keep any of it. Socks and underpants you can just throw out - as long as he has a number of pairs that correspond to the length of time between doing laundry in your house, he will never notice the difference.

Jumpers, trousers, jeans and shirts he might just miss, but again if it is 20 years since you last saw him in a particular thing, then just chuck it out.

Anything related to his hobbies, tools, books, films you probably will need to go through together.

Suggest advertising inherited furniture, knick-knacks, china and other household goods for sale. It can be easier to part with them if "they are going to a good home" than just to the dump.

Good luck!