Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grumpy Old Woman alert!

(24 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sun 17-Jun-18 10:22:35

I live in a small village which has a mixtures of ages. Around 5 years ago a group of young people moved into a shared house - they are now in their middle to late 20s. A few months after moving in they threw a party which went on into the early hours of the morning with very loud music. They later apologised if they had disturbed anyone and promised to be more thoughtful in the future.

Unfortunately these parties take place every couple of months, most of the time we accept that these are young people who are just enjoying themselves, and they always apologise after.

However, I'm afraid last night has driven people over the edge. The music was blasting out until around 3.00 a.m at which time they started to set off fireworks.

Some residents are planning to pay them a visit once they have all surfaced to discuss their behaviour - however there is now talk of a petition to have them evicted from the house. I am in two minds about this. On the one hand I tell myself it is only every couple of months and we were all young once, but on the other hand there are people living here who have to be up early in the mornings, including Sundays, to look after animals.

I would say that I live on a side road and they live on the main road about 1/2 mile from me and I can hear the music very clearly.

grannysue05 Sun 17-Jun-18 10:28:02

I would say that as you are half a mile away, you are not an immediate neighbour.
However very loud noise going on into the early hours is very upsetting.
As these young people share a house, presumably it is rented and they may move on/out.
Is there a college or university nearby. They may be students and will not be there for ever.

DanniRae Sun 17-Jun-18 10:33:06

Well they certainly weren't more thoughtful in the future were they?
That kind of party noise would drive me mad and my poor dog would have been going crazy at 3am with the fireworks.
They need an official warning that their behaviour is unreasonable. Report this nuisance noise to the local council and, hopefully, get it stopped angry

Oldwoman70 Sun 17-Jun-18 10:34:33

None of them are students, one is an odd-job man and one of the girls is a cleaner. Yes, being 1/2 mile away means I am not an immediate neighbour but that doesn't stop the music disturbing my sleep.

I keep telling myself they are still young and want to enjoy themselves, but I think they need to be more considerate about those around them. I'm not sure I want to see them evicted - just be a bit more considerate. I am sure no-one would mind if they still had their parties but shut down the music around 1.00 a.m.

MawBroon Sun 17-Jun-18 10:39:14

Apologising afterwards is all very well, maybe they could give advance warning if they are to contemplate partying again.
A discussion with them would be preferable to seeking their eviction, but I fully sympathise.
Just by the way fireworks at 3 a.m. are illegal

Bathsheba Sun 17-Jun-18 10:46:07

Heavens you're far more tolerant than I would be Oldwoman. Loud music and fireworks, even up till midnight, would drive me to fury. And it's not just the music, is it? At a summer party the guests are inclined to spill out into the garden and their voices can carry - it means those living nearby would have to keep their windows shut to have any chance of some sleep. Then there's the noisy leave-taking, calling goodbye and so on, taxis pulling up, with their engines idling while waiting for their fares to come out, then the doors opening and slamming.
No, I would be onto the council about this as it seems to be a regular occurrence. A one-off, maybe at Christmas or New Year is fine, I can live with that. But every two months? Not a chance angry

Oldwoman70 Sun 17-Jun-18 10:54:00

Trying to look on the bright side - I did look out of my window during the night and saw the most beautiful barn owl flying past

Maggiemaybe Sun 17-Jun-18 11:14:41

I probably sound very GOW myself, but mid to late 20s is surely old enough to show a bit of consideration. I'd be tolerant of this if it was an annual event, or a couple of times a year, but every 6 months, and to 3am, no. I wouldn't want to get them evicted, but all the neighbours need to up the ante on the stern talkings to, and if they persist, then you'll have to contact the council. They're taking the mick.

Greenfinch Sun 17-Jun-18 11:58:41

My DD had this problem with the adjoining house which was rented. Eventually they complained to the Estate Agent and it was sorted.

Teetime Sun 17-Jun-18 11:59:54

There was a big party in our close yesterday evening and I'm not ashamed to say I rang the police who came straight away. Hordes of young people (we now learn they were 16 years old and just finished GCSEs0 roamed up and down the close shouting, swearing fighting and drinking. Several girls were falling over drunk in the road and there was broken glass everywhere. Who had organised this - their parents!! It did stop at midnight.

If it was a party contained within someone's house and garden I would not take action except to make them a polite visit afterwards to mention that I think they should keep it down after midnight..

Bathsheba Sun 17-Jun-18 12:17:31

I should add, I really don't like the sound of a petition to have them evicted. That is tantamount to bullying IMO, and something that should be considered only as an absolute last resort. Talk to them, if no joy then contact the landlord if you know who it is, and ask him/her to talk to them. If no joy there, then get on to your council's noise control department. But a petition as a first step? That's a no no in my book.

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Jun-18 12:59:08

Does a near neighbour own a chainsaw and has a tree which needs felling? Anyone nearby wanting to build a shed? A motorbike needing retuning? Seven in the morning is an excellent time to start these sorts of jobs. Especially just after a party has kept you awake.

They’ve already been talked to, smiled sweetly and ignored it. If the above doesn’t work then the police or Environmental Health would perhaps be the best step. They have the experience to deal with this from a neutral point of view.

PamelaJ1 Sun 17-Jun-18 13:13:18

Included in our tenancy agreement was a clause that said the tenants should not cause a nuisance with the neighbours. When our tenants were causing problems in the small cul de sac with their inconsiderate parking we were notified by the other residents who, initially, had tried to deal with it.
They knew who we were. Do you know who owns the house? Perhaps they could send their tenants a letter?
Nfk your suggestions are excellent ? ?

Luckygirl Sun 17-Jun-18 13:29:00

There was a party over the road from us the other night - it is the first time it has happened since we moved in nearly 2 years ago - I presume it was a big family do. It was good to hear everyone enjoying themselves.

Now.....if it was every 2 months and could be heard half a mile away, that is a different kettle of fish!

Maybe several of the neighbours could get together and go and chat with them along the lines of it's fine to enjoy yourselves and we don't want to spoil your fun, but it is becoming a problem for us. If that does not work, then time to bring in the big guns! At least you will have given them a chance.

M0nica Sun 17-Jun-18 13:37:34

Ring the LA and speak to their......., not sure what they are called - Noise/Nuisance abatement department. They will come out and measure the noise and note how long it goes on for and can serve a notice on the occupiers of the house to keep the noise down. If they do not and keep doing it, then they will be taken to court. If enough people complain to LA officials they may well visit them now and discuss the complaints.

Better than having them evicted.

annodomini Sun 17-Jun-18 13:47:49

Fireworks Regulations :
a ban on the use of fireworks late at night (after 11pm) - except for New Year’s Eve, the night of Diwali and the first day of Chinese New Year - where fireworks may be used until 1 am (on Guy Fawkes Night fireworks may be used until 12 midnight)
The Police should be informed if they contravene these regulations.

gerry86 Sun 17-Jun-18 14:00:59

This is so inconsiderate and totally unacceptable and what is the point of apologising after the event. Either go to the landlord if you know who it is or the council. I don't know if they would respond but maybe a visit from the police while it is actually happening might work.

Oldwoman70 Sun 17-Jun-18 14:19:09

A few locals have called on them this morning and explained we understand they want to party but that they should consider others living close by. They apologised (again) and promised to be more considerate in future (again).

They were also told that if it happens again in the future it would be reported to the local authority. The petition idea didn't receive any support. Thanks for the information about using fireworks in the early hours - I was unaware there was a time limit.

One local farmer did say if it happens again he will visit them with his muck spreader - but he was joking (I think!)

maryeliza54 Sun 17-Jun-18 14:46:48

I would check what your local authority would do - no point threatening something with no teeth. Here my la environmental health don't work weekends so wouldn't come out as no-one is there. The police wouldn't want to know if it was just noise. I'd find out the agency and go and chat to them because it will happen again won't it?

maryeliza54 Sun 17-Jun-18 14:47:55

I think the muck spreader is the best idea grin

lemongrove Sun 17-Jun-18 14:56:27

Is it rented privately through an agency? Perhaps the neighbours ( who have all had enough by the sounds of it)
Could find out, and complain to them who will let the owner of the house know?
It’s no good apologising afterwards and then doing it all again, it’s selfish and thoughtless of them.

SpringyChicken Sun 17-Jun-18 14:57:32

If it's been going on for five years, it's not surprising that they thought they could get away with it. A mild grumble from tolerant neighbours isn't much deterrent. Councils do take action and issue warning letters against noisy neighbours. Complaints from more than one person is helpful. After issuing written warnings, they ask for complainants to keep a log of further instances of noise.

harrigran Sun 17-Jun-18 15:42:36

You are too tolerant it is not okay to apologise and then repeat it, each time they get away with the loud music they think it is fine to continue.
There has to be something in writing by the authorities otherwise when it gets really bad you won't have the proof to evict them.
We had residents in our street who were bad neighbours and they were moved on by the police, the landlord was at risk of losing his licence to rent if he didn't get them out. In my experience noisy young people don't suddenly become responsible citizens overnight.

Marthajolly1 Sun 17-Jun-18 15:56:44

I agree with luckygirl . It seems your neighbours have handled it very well. No one minds an occasional party but if nothing has been said in the past then young ones would assume it's not a problem for anyone. Bringing it to their attention will hopefully result in them being more considerate and find somewhere else to party.