Gransnet forums

AIBU

new shower screen

(54 Posts)
thuberon Fri 29-Jun-18 07:41:19

Left DH in charge of replacing broken shower screen in bathroom. DH and, presumably, the two men who measured for it, supplied it and fitted it, are satisfied with a job well done. Anyone else see a problem?

thuberon Sun 01-Jul-18 14:02:58

NanaNancy - my heart goes out to you. Grams 1956 - Yes Total Pavlova sums it up - made me laugh.

Grams1956 Sun 01-Jul-18 13:42:48

But yu CLEAN both sides of the screen and that's mission impossible unless yu use a basin on the far side...what a pavlova!! That sooooo could have been my husband ...grinjust not visual or practical AT ALL X ...diy in our house really Is diy!!

confusedbeetle Sun 01-Jul-18 11:46:24

not

confusedbeetle Sun 01-Jul-18 11:46:14

Sorry, just seen the second photo, can see the bathroom better now so see what you mean. However I still think the choice of bath was nit great

confusedbeetle Sun 01-Jul-18 11:43:42

The bath seems strange to me. Does it bulge and take up too much space by the radiator. Also seems odd to have the taps at the side. Many over bath showers, you don't need to swing the screen out at all. Leave it in place, keeps a better seal, and just step in. In this room, the taps are in the way of stepping in. I know you would still need to open the screen to fill the bath but ideally, you should be able to open outwards. Perhaps a smaller bath or even just a shower cubicle would have been better

Neilspurgeon0 Sun 01-Jul-18 10:28:16

And me, what is wrong with that ?

NanaNancy Sat 30-Jun-18 22:16:19

Haaahaaa, laughing with you not at you, as all the taps in my house are backwards with the hot and cold because my DH put them all in - if you get into my shower with a one lever control, the hot is at the top of the dial not the bottom where it should be -- even when there is a picture (red for hot) it still eludes him. And he insists they are correct!
Visitors are baffled.

annep Sat 30-Jun-18 19:34:02

Jane43 my thoughts exactly. I don't know how I stopped myself saying it.

Davidhs Sat 30-Jun-18 18:18:54

Lack of supervision is the problem, happens all the time with male or female helpers!. It's best to decide what you want and organise it yourself.

Willow500 Sat 30-Jun-18 17:34:11

When my GD was 15 their shower door exploded when she was in it cutting her hand very badly leaving a large scar - it was a miracle she didn't cut an artery or lose her sight! The photos they sent in to the house builder looked like a scene from a horror movie. The builder had replaced the screen a few weeks previously - son tried to sue them for negligence but had to give up in the end.

My FIL built a conservatory many years ago but got the size of the double glazed unit for one window wrong. We have a video of him offering it up to the frame and waving his arm out of the side of it grin

Legs55 Sat 30-Jun-18 16:47:20

My DH was never "practical", when we had a new boiler fitted the engineer sensibly explained how to work the controls to megrin. We did make a good team building furniture, I would sort out all the pieces, make sure we had everything, then I would instruct him how to build it according to the instructions, perfect result everytimesmile. His son however never followed the instructions as demonstrated by the very "wonky" wardrobe he put togetherhmm

Coolgran65 Sat 30-Jun-18 16:19:58

I also am glad the pic was clarified.
I assumed the shower screen would swing away from the bath and couldn't see any problem. smile

thuberon Sat 30-Jun-18 16:06:19

grandtante - your story beggars belief. The men who fitted my screen were from a reputable bathroom fitting company too. Nanny41 - it was DH asking if I was happy without a clue that I might not be as happy as he, that prompted my post. Gma29 - yes I am the one who "cleans the bathroom". I am resigned to accepting the new arrangement rather than "complaining" (icanhandthemback ha ha) because of what happened with the old screen. I had just stepped out of the shower when it came crashing into and through the bath, with the most enormous thundering crash. I am quite sure that had I still been standing in the shower, at the very least, both my legs would have been broken. I had a very lucky escape. That, and the amusing and sympathetic responses to my post are enabling me to surf this particular little difficulty with Zen like calm. (mostly)

mumofmadboys Sat 30-Jun-18 15:54:21

When I was in hospital having one of the children my DH decided to get the new blind fitted in the bathroom. A joiner came to do it and the blind was fitted so the design was on show from outside the house! Of course I noticed immediately but neither of the men did! I had a laugh about it with the joiner's wife!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 30-Jun-18 14:59:07

I once employed a plumber who installed the floor drain in my bathroom on the highest point of the sloping floor!

He didn't see the point either, when I asked him how he expected the water to reach the drain!

And the man was a fully qualified plumber, not at handyman who said he could do the job.

He got nasty when I refused to pay his bill and I had to get a council housing inspector in, before he re-positioned the blasted drain free of charge.

CardiffJaguar Sat 30-Jun-18 13:14:52

The picture shown raises more questions than the OP. But the explanations have helped. What seems inexplicable is that the old screen was not simply copied.

icanhandthemback Sat 30-Jun-18 12:29:24

I once left my Dad and ex-husband to fit a second hand leaded light window in the kitchen to replace the old one. When Mum and I came home we were rather surprised to see that left hand and middle panes still had leaded lights but the right hand pane was now plain glass. "Oh," they said, "The window frame was too big for the whole so rather than remove a brick, we cut it down." "Oh," says Mum and I in unison, "Why didn't you cut the static middle pane so it at least looked symmetrical and we could still open the right hand window." "You're always complaining," they said! We still giggle about it 40 years on.

Jane43 Sat 30-Jun-18 11:23:53

Annep - I’d rather not see myself when I step out of the shower! ?

maddyone Sat 30-Jun-18 11:03:00

Oh nooooo.

peaches50 Sat 30-Jun-18 10:50:49

I have posted this before but still makes me roar with laughter - sent brother in law a bday card that said 'I never follow manufacturer's instructions - after all it's only their opinion of how to do it' sister and I in hysterics stony silence from recipient and DH who couldn't see the joke..

Gma29 Sat 30-Jun-18 10:43:45

We had new bathroom fittings - chosen by OH and fitted professionally. I can no longer open the window to clean the other side as it won’t clear the top of the taps. He hadn’t noticed, but then, he never cleaned the window!

GreenGran78 Sat 30-Jun-18 10:39:51

The mirror in our bowling club’s ladies’ room was obviously fitted by a man. You have to be at least 5ft 6ins to be able to see your face in it! I am just 5ft, so literally don’t get a look-in!

Nanny41 Sat 30-Jun-18 10:34:59

Thuberon, I had to smile, as that is exactly the kind of thing my Husband would do, then sit back and admire his work!

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Jun-18 21:32:08

Is it the positioning or the size of the shower screen that is the problem?
Ours swings over the bath and out across for easier access.

annep Fri 29-Jun-18 21:21:03

I'm so glad I'm not the only oe lol. and yes I was more interested in the towel hook thingy. only i didn't like to ask!