Gransnet forums

AIBU

Summer noise

(85 Posts)
4allweknow Sun 08-Jul-18 17:35:41

Afraid it's yet another neighbour moan. Music thumping for hours from neighbours garden. Warm weather neighbours out in garden playing music that has nothing but a deep thumping base when it reaches my house. We have a lovely garden, small summer house and can't go in either for the noise. Neighbours actually have a speaker outside. Driving me mad. Husband is hearing impaired but he can even feel the noise. We are detached houses. Oh, noise stopped, DH up on garden chair looking over 2 mtr fence, shouted 3 times to attract attention and has asked for music to be turned down a bit. The relief, just hope it lasts. Neighbours are good usually, late 30s so not exactly in the flush of youth. Gold star to DH.

Misha14 Mon 09-Jul-18 10:38:53

Earbuds. Aren't they the answer?

4allweknow Mon 09-Jul-18 10:44:27

Update on yesterday. Noise was also evident last weekend and we put up with it. Our feeling is that if even half a dozen households here played loud music outside the noise would be deafening. What's goid for the goose, goid for the gander sort of thing. We too could have taken a speaker outside, opened all our windows and doors and played our music. How would that go down with those who feel we should just ignore?
There is a community forum for our little area and in the evening there were posts about music being heard two streets away. Seems others thought the noise was a nuisance even at that distance.

4allweknow Mon 09-Jul-18 10:45:44

Good for the goose good for the gander, not goid.

paddyann Mon 09-Jul-18 10:47:27

My goodness what a bunch of old moaning minnies,were you never young,carefree,happy.Have you never just wanted to sit in the sun and listen to your favourite music .Or sit at night with a firepit and a glass of wine in hand.
Music,smoke ..all are the work of the devil .You're giving us oldies a bad reputation .Thank heavens I'm not of the same mind as you.My neighbours can enjoy themselves and their children can play ..loudly ..without fear of enviremental health being evoked .You should start a commune for like minded old people .Lights out at 8 and no noise allowed .

Grandma70s Mon 09-Jul-18 10:50:12

I would be very angry indeed if I could hear my neighbours’ music at all, but luckily they are good neighbours and don’t do that. They have three children, 12, 11, and 8, and the most I ever hear is excited chatter if they are in the paddling pool or chasing each other round the garden with the hose. Of course they aren’t teenagers yet, but I don’t think their parents would let them play loud music. I also hear the thump of a football very often, and piano practice which I rather enjoy. Nothing I could possibly object to. I think I am very lucky. Nobody has barbecues either, so I don’t have to endure the smell.

I wake very early and often put the television news on. I mute it and use subtitles in case it disturbs them.

Legs55 Mon 09-Jul-18 10:55:28

I live in a Park Home so all Residents have to be at least 45 (depends on Park rules), Grandchildren are allowed to visit but one of my neighbours has her's after School all week, I don't mind children playing but screeching & screaming, I end up having to close my windows, not good in this heathmm.

When DH was alive & we had BBQs we used to invite the neighboursgrin

Seakay Mon 09-Jul-18 10:57:26

Paddyann have you considered headphones? That way only you listen to your music at whatever volume

Elrel Mon 09-Jul-18 10:59:41

OP - why didn’t DH go round?
Pheasant - the idiots smashing the ambulance etc. should, hopefully, end up in court.

Liz46 Mon 09-Jul-18 11:00:47

Our next door neighbours sometimes inflict their choice of (awful) music on us in the garden. We put up with it but have a little mutter. I wouldn't like to live next door to Paddyann. Use headphones for goodness sake.

glammanana Mon 09-Jul-18 11:04:16

Its not just the summer weather that causes neighbours to have very loud music playing,where I live in a small cul-de-sac of bungalows we have a new neighbour who insists on replaying "Queen" on repeat all day long from about 8am,front windows open so I can hear it in my lounge 4 properties away,to make matters worse he sings along in the most awful tone above the music.
He has been spoken to about it by his next door neighbour but will still continue to play the music loud,his neighbour doesn't want to involve the HA as this man is in his 70s and he could loose his tenancy with him being on a probationary period and he needs the bungalow for his lifestyle (he has had a stroke) its vey difficult as he won't see reason.

Pinny4 Mon 09-Jul-18 11:35:32

Possibly your new neighbour has a hearing deficiency Glammanana ?
I don't mind neighbour noise for a short time during normal non sleeping hours, after all we do share this world, but if it goes on too late e.g 2 in the morning stuff - or too long e.g. all day...well.... I would remind them we don't all live in detached mansions set in ten acres of land and invite them to be a bit considerate. Nicely. wink
Otherwise it's war - I have music too and I like getting up early when they have had a late night wink

Liz46 Mon 09-Jul-18 11:42:50

Glammanana, I am a bit of a Queen nut too but only with the doors and windows closed and away from the neighbour's wall. I wonder if your neighbour ever saw them live? I saw them on two occasions at The Empire in Liverpool. Wow, what a show! Maybe ask your neighbour if he ever saw the band live? If he did, he will be delighted to bore you rigid about how brilliant it was and maybe you could persuade him to close his windows at least in the room where the music is on.

moorlikeit Mon 09-Jul-18 11:46:28

Music loud enough to be heard by others in their gardens is inconsiderate. We all have different tastes and tolerance of noise and it is wrong to impose our life style choices on others except for the occasional family gathering or party. Unwanted noise (whether it's music, barking dogs or strimmers etc) has been proved to cause major stress in people so I believe that treating the garden as if it is soundproofed is actually cruel to neighbours. We are careful to keep our noise to the minimum - using gardening equipment only in short bursts and, now that we are retired, on weekdays. We listen to our music indoors or on earphones or go to local gigs. Please try to realise that your music is someone else's noise and can deprive them of the peaceful enjoyment of their garden.

Brismum Mon 09-Jul-18 11:56:30

I get “music “ all year round from my neighbour (father of three in his 50s) Only when he’s home alone! Unfortunately even in winter with doors and windows closed l can feel and hear the bass in my house even with tv on! Usually over by 7pm when his wife gets home but regularly starts at 3pm! When I cut the grass recently he was cooking, loud music, door open. When I stopped to empty grass box he’d turned it up and the windows were almost rattling! Paddyann not a bad person but a bad neighbour. Hope yours are out a lot. Sadly a lot ot us suffer with inconsiderate neighbours and not just in the summer.

Brismum Mon 09-Jul-18 12:08:00

Harsh words Paddyann. Lack of tolerance not restricted to the “oldies “ and lack of consideration not restricted to the “ youngsters “ as you have proved!

justwokeup Mon 09-Jul-18 12:19:01

paddyann are you winding us up? It's not a case or young or old - as long as I can remember I've never liked loud music that is someone else's taste, or inconsiderate people. And many young people are extremely considerate. One day every now and again of noisy neighbours doesn't bother me one bit, but I'm glad you don't live next door to me. I'd listen to children playing and shrieking every day all day long but cars parked up with loud base thumping makes me want to lean in and switch it off! It's just a case of what pushes your buttons. I play music I like in the house, and even then it's not loud, but OH gets like you every once in a while .... hmm

Overthehills Mon 09-Jul-18 12:26:18

I think it’s lack of consideration that gets all of us a bad name, Paddyann.

GabriellaG Mon 09-Jul-18 12:44:57

I'm lucky in that I only have neighbours on one side (farm land to my right) my new next door neighbours, a very young couple possibly 19-22 with a dog, make no noise at all not even with the windows wide open. I might hear occasional talking but nothing identifiable, no barking, no tv yet they have visitors who are as considerate as they are.
The previous owners were in their 50s with 1 then 2,3 and 4 dogs who never played music and dogs were beautifully behaved. I can honestly say that in my 9 years of living here I never heard their dogs bark...and no, I don't need hearing aids. The perfect neighbours.
The local EH department is strict about noise levels as it's a mix of a small busy commuter town with many residents living cheek by jowl with businesses, some of whom have music licences.

Rosina Mon 09-Jul-18 12:46:43

I agree Paddyann it is lovely to hear your music but what if your neighbour likes something completely different, or has a splitting headache, or likes peace and quiet? I don't think it has anything to do with being grumpy, or old. I love rock music, and classical music too, and as far as I am concerned unless you play Handel quite loud you are insulting his genius; he was meant to be heard. However, I don't inflict it on my neighbours - and in this hot weather with the windows open I stick to something a lot quieter. I too get a burning urge to find a bucket of water and throw it straight into the window of cars with a thumping bass at the traffic lights - how I would love to do that!

gmelon Mon 09-Jul-18 12:51:38

^Glammanana*
Regards your neighbour, I would have a friendly word with the housing association. I doubt that the housing association will throw him out because of complaints about music.
This man is in need of housing because of his health.

Throwing him out would be a long and drawn out process with plenty of chances for him to comply.
They will ask him to stop disturbing you all and hopefully he will do so.
He may not realise or may be so depressed that he does not care.

If he doesn't turn the music down then you are better off rid of him. Having had a stroke does not make someone a good neighbour.

gmelon Mon 09-Jul-18 12:56:22

4allweknow
I would be pleased that they had turned it down when asked.

Smoke from cigarettes/wood burners/ noise in the summer, none of this is an issue that environmental health or as it is commonly referred to "the council" will take seriously.

Bathsheba Mon 09-Jul-18 12:58:37

Imagine the cacophony if everyone, in an average urban street, played their music loudly in the garden for all the others to hear. A mix of rock, pop, classical, drum and bass, opera etc, all blaring out, fighting for supremacy.
I think you might, just might, get the idea then Paddyann that it is so very unneighbourly to play your music loudly if you have neighbours in close proximity.

LiltingLyrics Mon 09-Jul-18 13:04:55

Occasional parties are fine but for one person to deliberately inflict their choice of loud music on others is plain selfish and inconsiderate. Why not just pop a digital device in a pocket and wear headphones? Actually, if you want to be able to enjoy your own garden while other are assailing you with their noise, headphones and your own choice of music is a great solution.

sluttygran Mon 09-Jul-18 13:29:51

I guess I’m quite lucky because all my neighbours seem to be leading members of the Noise Abatement Society.
I pride myself on being a particularly quiet person, but ‘her next door’ recently complained that she could hear my kitchen timer bleeping after I baked a cake!
She must have awfully good hearing, as our flats are quite old with and well built with nice thick walls.
She seemed most affronted that my timer had beeped when she was having a quiet cuppa. Needless to say, she didn’t get any of the cake on this occasion!

SeaWatcher Mon 09-Jul-18 13:40:16

We also have a problem with neighbours playing very loud music every evening and all day Saturday and Sunday. They live in a house that is in a road parallel to ours so their garden backs onto ours with a small alley between. These are 2 or 3 bedroomed (depending on whether you have an upstairs bathroom) and most are lived in by a single family. However, this property is occupied by at least 5 men and 1 woman. It seems they use the living room as a bedroom so spend their time in the back garden, all year round ( a marquee and heater in the winter). There seems to have been a change in people recently and the new ones play music even louder than the previous ones did and as, at weekends, the day goes on their voices become louder and louder and sometimes there is shouting (possibly alcohol related). Yesterday the music was so loud we could not sit in our back garden and even with windows at the back of the house and back door shut we could barely hear our TV or have a conversation. My next door neighbour went round there to complain but they were far from friendly towards him, despite the fact he is 74 and very polite, and pretended they could not speak English (it is possible they can't) so didn't understand what he was saying. An occasional party is one thing but every evening and all day at weekends..!!