Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect privacy in A&E.

(99 Posts)
Nanawind Wed 18-Jul-18 14:48:50

On Monday I was taken to hospital after suffering from chest pains (not heart) my DH and I were sat waiting for my blood tests to come back before seeing the doctor again. This was in the main waiting room for A&e.
There was approx 12 patients and they were being triaged, the nurse who was doing this made them stand in the doorway and expected them to give the full reason for why they were there. Some were sent away as they could and should of gone to the chemist. But at least 7 to me were quite poorly
but it's the manor of having to explain in a public place so everyone in the waiting room knew what they were there for and 2 of these patients had an embarrassing problem.
Surely she could of seen them in a private room. What ever happened to patient confidentiality.

annep Fri 03-Aug-18 13:26:35

post! not pist lol!

annep Fri 03-Aug-18 13:25:26

I just thought I would pist our experience of today at A&E.
In N Ireland. Had to go to our local A&E 6am. Triage in 5 mins. (it was very quiet this morning). It was in a small side room and very private. Straight onto a trolley bed with painkiller drip. I asked husband did he want me to ask about drawing screen round us as other people on chairs could see him. He couldn't have cared less, but I would have liked privacy. I don't know why they didnt draw the screen but my husband said not to make a fuss. A lady had come in at 8pm previous evening and was still waiting for blood results. Doctors had been in short supply and were extremely busy and still were,even though it was relatively quiet. One had been on duty a very long time. However my husband got every test possible done, and everything explained. Everyone was so pleasant- doctor, cleaning staff, nurses- no one rushed. We were treated so well. I couldnt be anything but grateful. I will send a thank you card. Might sound silly but I always like to do that.

blossom14 Mon 23-Jul-18 10:45:39

We had good service when DH was taken to A&E with a stroke in January. I could hear all the conversations in surrounding bays as they could probably hear ours. When you are in an emergency situation like that it is probably not your primary concern.
The most distressing part for me was the conditions and lack of privacy in the 'Assessment ward' waiting 4 days for a place on the stroke ward.
I accept that it was at the peak time of winter demand and we had to wait for a bed to become available but the conditions were pretty dire and just trying to keep DH clean and comfortable was a struggle - privacy was just a flimsy curtain in all the wards.

Alexa Mon 23-Jul-18 10:21:29

Rosina, I agree. I was nursing in a 2-ward local infirmary during the 70s at the time when the some of the matron's and GPs' management duties were taken over by a salaried manager. He installed underfloor heating when what the matron, who had hands-on experience at the bedside, knew was needed was modern beds and mattresses.

Nanny41 Sun 22-Jul-18 22:39:18

I feel sorry for peope having to explain about why they are visiting A+E while others are overhearing, it is not acceptable.I even loathe having to explain to someone on the other end of the phone when making an appointment with my GP, let alone announcing evrything in an A+E department.I am a retired Nurse and this is horrifying to hear.

MawBroon Sun 22-Jul-18 15:49:46

The bottom line though - don’t always blame the professionals when this is what they have to deal with

willa45 Sun 22-Jul-18 15:41:21

What many healthcare professionals lack the most is discretion and'sensitivity' training!

Years ago, after spending many years in South America, we moved back to the US. A short time later, I ended up in the hospital for an unrelated condition.

The day I was ready to go home, one of the nurses approached me. It appears there was a gentleman in the next ward who spoke Spanish only and didn't understand a word of English,

The nurse was asking me to accompany her, so I could tell him in person (perfect stranger), that she was going to give him an enema. I explained to her how awkward that was, at best. So, I had a better idea. I wrote a message for her in Spanish and handed it to her.....but why couldn't she have thought of that herself?

focused1 Sun 22-Jul-18 09:12:50

I would ask . Just say what I am about to tell you I will but I would prefer a private space . Same in a bank . Some people also have very loud voices . I speak softly and politely and usually get somewhere different to talk .

annep Sat 21-Jul-18 23:02:14

Fair point Muffin. Disgraceful too.

muffinthemoo Sat 21-Jul-18 22:29:28

My brother’s an A&E consultant.

The problem with triage rooms in A&E, from what he tells me, is the level of violence and risk to staff involved in patients being alone with triage nurse in a room with only one exit.

His nurse colleagues, and indeed doctor colleagues, are so routinely threatened and assaulted that police are stationed 24/7 in the A&E waiting area.

Staff safety has unfortunately got to be prioritised above increased privacy for patients.

annep Sat 21-Jul-18 22:18:12

RosinaI didn't know that. Those in power need to get their act together!

annep Sat 21-Jul-18 22:16:54

Bluegal. I agree its difficult to have private rooms in A&E. Curtains round a cubicle I think is ok. But a tiny room is all that is needed to give people private triage. I did address the point about visiting the doctor. We simply dont have enough doctors. Where I live you can wait four weeks for a routine appointment - if you are lucky. We have been told the surgery is two doctors short. And any time I have rung the out of hours service (a rare occasion I have been told to go to A&E or ring for an ambulance, apart from one time when I was told to try painkillers. Under these circumstances which I'm sure are replicated in other areas I can understand people turning up at A&E. And before anyone replies yes I know they shouldn't. Maybe a couple of GPs at A&E eould help.

Bluegal Sat 21-Jul-18 17:51:27

Annep...I think we are getting away from the original post which was the fact A and E is so full there is no privacy? I think that is a big difference from not being treated with dignity, once admitted. Of course, in an ideal, situation there should be enough consulting rooms with closed doors ...but fact is...there isn't! So what I am getting at is with the amount of people going to A and E instead of booking with GP's its going to get worse and this does need to be addressed.

Just out of interest just how many people would refuse whatever was available if it meant they got medical attention at the end of it? Complain all you want but, imo, the staff do amazing jobs with limited facilities and space. Complaining to the Trusts doesn't seem to me to be the answer. The problems lie much higher up.

Elrel Sat 21-Jul-18 17:36:15

Admin in many areas needs to be more efficient. Time and money is wasted daily.
Unfortunately the best advice re NHS now seems to be don’t be patient, be pushy. Otherwise it is too easy to be overlooked.

Rosina Sat 21-Jul-18 14:37:06

I am all for better funding for the NHS, and willing to pay more tax to fund it, but whenever this subject rears its head there is always a counter opinion - a few weeks ago it was a senior doctor - saying that it doesn't need more funding, it needs to be more efficient. Some years ago I visited a hospital with friend who was interested in taking up nursing. We walked through a fairly modern hospital where workmen were replacing old handrails on the staircase with new, heavy wood rails , and decorating was being undertaken in the public areas. Adjacent to the hospital were two new wards, recently finished but not yet opened. They never were opened; one was used as a walk in centre for a short while and then both these brand new wards, and the recently refurbished hospital, were demolished. How many millions did that exercise waste, and how often is that repeated throughout the NHS?
I believe there has been an incredibly expensive fiasco with a new patient management system that was abandoned in the last few years; do heads ever roll I wonder?

annep Sat 21-Jul-18 11:15:29

I've bever heard of PAL or 111. I must investigate. ( in N Ireland). I agree with another person who taljs about difficult decisions. We need to pay more tax. Some countries have much better systems than ours but citizens pay much more in tax.

Elegran Sat 21-Jul-18 10:59:09

But they can hardly restrict the times when people can go to A&E.

Alexa Sat 21-Jul-18 10:12:56

They should restrict visiting times as they used to do, except in special cases like someone dying.

MissAdventure Sat 21-Jul-18 09:53:21

It doesn't really matter if you're 'too ill to care'.
Presumably people with dementia 'don't care', but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have privacy and dignity.
As I've said though, the sheer volume of people seen means that things often get messy.

Alexa Sat 21-Jul-18 09:53:01

Nurses tend to be okay as regards privacy. Docs less so in my experience. When I was a surgical in-patient in 2002 one doctor wheeched the curtains back and revealed my bare bottom to a male visitor at the next bed.

Also, later on, two doctors came round with a trolley full of paper records. One of them asked me in normal speaking volume if I had farted yet. True, a proper question but not one to be broadcast to the ward. As it was the male visitor to the next bed made a crude joke in response.

Nonnie Sat 21-Jul-18 09:50:18

I think that the NHS 111 service should be advertised more widely. If people phoned them instead of going to A & E then only those who really needed to would be taking up the space.

I called 111 recently and discovered that what I was concerned about was serious and that I should call my GP immediately. Presumably they inform the GP about the call. The GP sent me to see a Consultant and also said that if certain things happened I was to call 111 immediately, it did and I did.

If people need reassurance then 111 is a good place to get it.

annep Sat 21-Jul-18 09:33:35

Bluegal no matter how many people agree it does not mean it is ok to not treat people with dignity. Asmall room for triage is not a suite Veuns. . Also saying everyone who turns up at A&E wrongly is stupid is downright rude. If someone is ill and can't see a doctor they may think thats what they should do. Perhaps if we had enough doctors it wouldnt happen. At the minute where I live patients are triaged - not as to when they see a doctor but as to whether they actually get an appointment at all. Good service what? So, many people like myself will not go ti the doctor unless we feel its urgent We just cope with ailments. which could end up getting worse and make A&E busier.

Bluegal Fri 20-Jul-18 23:43:21

Annep. I have to say I tend to agree with Venus. If you are ill enough you just don’t care.

annep Fri 20-Jul-18 22:57:50

Venusdevillendorf your reply was rude. Because you know people who aren't bothered about privacy doesn't mean those who are bothered are wrong. We all know medical staff do their best but the NHS which isn't free by the way has gone very much downhill and we need better. And try getting to see a doctor! Its almost impossible where I live. Yes some countries are much worse off. That doesn't make our service ok. Sometimes telling people to count their blessings is not appropriate.

Purpledaffodil Fri 20-Jul-18 19:17:16

Willa45 thanks for that interesting post. I think we all forget that the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence (or the Pond)?