Gransnet forums

AIBU

What does AIBU mean

(35 Posts)
IsabelleatRedmire Sat 21-Jul-18 11:06:47

New member here. So far amazed at the sensible questions and answers. Here is my daft question.

What does AIBU mean and what does BU mean. Thank you.

DanniRae Sun 22-Jul-18 11:12:07

That really made me smile MissAdventure smile and
IDGAF either!

MissAdventure Sun 22-Jul-18 10:56:55

I never use them either, and nobody has said anything.
Anyway, if they did, IDGAF. smile

Anniebach Sun 22-Jul-18 10:50:09

I don’t use them, not been criticised,

Elegran Sun 22-Jul-18 10:42:09

I have never in the many years since I joined GN seen anyone being criticised for not using acronyms. I for one wouldn't even notice their absence, why should I?. If it should happen to anyone in the future (highly unlikely) then the poster should immediately report the criticism to HQ, using the "report" button above every post.

kittylester Sun 22-Jul-18 08:43:24

Quite Janea!

janeainsworth Sun 22-Jul-18 08:17:39

That stated, please would all forum members respectfully recognise and accept that other methods of posting on this forum and elsewhere are becoming ever more prominent and in that the use of acronyms will undoubtedly not be used by those who post using such methods.
It’s a pity your apps don’t have a pomposity checker on them, Grandad.
Oh and a tautology checker toohmm

DanniRae Sun 22-Jul-18 07:51:15

Well, as I have already stated, I don't use acronyms. I don't want to be puzzling out if DD means darling daughter or demon daughter etc. Why not just put daughter and we can then decide from the post what "D" she is! But I suppose each to their own and if acronyms work for you then so be it. I enjoy being on Gransnet too much to let it spoil it for me grin

BlueBelle Sat 21-Jul-18 22:31:55

A few people have said they have been criticised on Gransnet for not using these shorthand features, well don’t take any notice, if you don’t like them, don’t use them I don’t and I haven’t been critised, well not to my face anyway?

MawBroon Sat 21-Jul-18 22:28:26

I think it shows however that no app can entirely render the human brain redundant and as such voice recognitioncan only function effectively as an aid which still needs proofreading, checking and if necessary, editing.
How does it cope with Latin or indeed modern foreign languages?
(I see now I should have added “course/coarse” to my list of homophones. )
Were I marking a dissertation or thesis, or presented with a legal report I would inevitably be influenced by poor spelling and grammar by the author of any such work.
Just as a calculator is a huge boon in the area of arithmetic, the answers it produces must make sense and it may take a person with a reasonable grounding in maths to spot a massive discrepancy caused, for instance, by a misplaced decimal point.

Grandad1943 Sat 21-Jul-18 21:26:33

The world is a changing place for such things as the use of acronyms. Technology has thankfully brought forward text creation apps that can be easily used on a smartphone for even the most complex of documents. Along with the foregoing speech recognition software has given to persons who suffer from disabilities such as Dyslexia the ability to achieve the same in their lives as those without such disabilities, backed up by legislation such as the Equalities act 2010.

In the above acronyms are not easily absorbed into such technology for as I stated earlier in this thread speech to text apps always look for full dictionary words as opposed to acronyms. However, users can of coarse add acronyms to their own personal dictionary.

In the above and by example, BBC can be added to the user's dictionary to avoid stating British Broadcasting Corporation each time the title is required. However, adding many acronyms to a users dictionary can become confusing not only to that user but also the app does not always respond correctly when an acronym is spoken.

In regard to words spoken the same but have different meanings (example duel and dual) then speech recognition obviously cannot differentiate between the two meanings but grammar correction apps are now rapidly advancing and reducing such errors.

However, apps which completely eliminate such errors in the context of a paragraph or compleat document are still only available on at minimum laptops with high-end processors. However, as device central processers, speech and word processing technology advance at the rate as of present, that drawback it would seem will soon be eliminated.

The above technological advances have released the very many who suffer text disabilities both in reading and writing to achieve their full potential, and many now at the very top management in various industries are those who also suffer from such disabilities as Dyslexia.

However, in the above, I feel it will be acronyms that will reduce in use as I cannot see how those will ever fit into that technology easily.

Also, being someone who suffers a limited form of Dyslexia, I have been criticised for "not conforming to forum conventions" in not using acronyms on this forum.

BlueBelle Sat 21-Jul-18 21:19:40

Sorry Elegran think the iPad slipped into ‘ I know better’ mode

BlueBelle Sat 21-Jul-18 21:15:51

Your post just illustrates how confusing it all is Elegant why not use this great old language we have to enhance the nouns Surely we re not all too busy to write a few extra words If DD can mean darling, dear, dearest, dratted, daft, dismal, discombobulated why can’t we just say so

Bathsheba Sat 21-Jul-18 20:10:45

Gosh did I really say 'when you get use to them"? Sorry if so blush

BBbevan Sat 21-Jul-18 20:06:17

AIBU, I always read it as ' I don't know about you ' !!?

Elegran Sat 21-Jul-18 19:27:38

D doesn't just stand for dear or darling, of course. Some husbands, sons, daughters and so on are dratted, darned, damned, delinquent, or just daft.The context usually helps define which. And some partners are not Husbands at all, either Dear or Damned, some are unofficial Other Halves.

Son-in-law and sister-in-law are confusing, granted, but again the context can help. Not many can say that their sister-in-law is growing a nice beard. (I dunno though . . .)

MawBroon Sat 21-Jul-18 18:07:43

I fear we are as guilty of “text speak” as the young, if not more so judging by the LOLs peppered around the site. ?

BlueBelle Sat 21-Jul-18 18:06:02

And honestly when you get use to them you really don’t notice them
Sorry to disagree but I m not a newbie I ve been on here maybe three or four years maybe more and no I m not use to them they still confuse me Son in law could be sister in law some say DH dear husband some say OH other half it’s confusing and when there’s a lot you do lose the gist as you travel along trying to read them correctly
To compare DD with BBC which has been used by everyone since it was began is plain daft
And don’t get me on the stupidness of calling an adult child you are heavily complaining about as darling or dear as in my DD hasn’t spoken to me for five years ?
And we have the gall to complain about youngsters and text talk

MawBroon Sat 21-Jul-18 17:53:13

TBH I think more than I picked up on the dual/duel confusion yesterday particularly as Grandad seemed for rather a long time unwilling or incapable of recognising that there is a huge difference.
Where homophones are involved clearly greater care needs to be taken which is why schoolchildren are taught at an early age about “their/there”, “red/read”, “hole/whole”, “place/plaice”, “peek/peak”, “troll/trawl”. “draw/drawer”, “strait/and straight” (as in “straitjacket” not “straight jacket”!) and a whole host of other examples.
Language is our servant not our master but it must be used accurately if it is to retain meaning and clarity.
So TLA’s (three letter acronyms) are fine in their place but not obligatory and should be seen as an aid to communication not a barrier.

Bathsheba Sat 21-Jul-18 17:51:47

Sorry, should be 'complain', not 'complaining'.

Bathsheba Sat 21-Jul-18 17:50:18

There is no need to exhort gransnetters to "respectfully recognise and accept" posts which type out the words in full, because no-one is bothered about those posts where someone has laborious typed every letter.

Exactly Elegran. Threads appear periodically where members, often but not always new members, complaining about the use of acronyms. But I have never, ever seen anyone complaining about words being typed out in full confused. So there really is no need to ask us to accept or recognise them. We already do.

Elegran Sat 21-Jul-18 17:45:49

Someone on the thread from GNHQ asking for ideas to grow the site would like to dispense with acronyms, because it takes her so long to work them out that she has lost the point of the story.

Two things - first it is not HQ's dcision when people use shortened versions of common expressions - it is up to the individual how they post, so long as it is polite and not abusive. If you don't understand them, ask.

Second - if this is a new medium to you, cast your mind back to when you started school and first used that other new medium, "reading". By the time you were reading fluently, you had learnt to cope with thousands of printed words in every book, far more than the number of acronyms used on gransnet. It was worth a bit of effort.

Elegran Sat 21-Jul-18 17:37:00

How many people talk or write about the British Broadcasting Company or the Independent TeleVision ? Not many, it is always BBC or ITV. You get used to the acronyms you use.

On Gransnet acronyms are not obligatory. No-one is penalising people who don't use them but prefer to use the whole words. Their posts are just read exactly the same as those who prefer to shorten them. There is no need to exhort gransnetters to "respectfully recognise and accept" posts which type out the words in full, because no-one is bothered about those posts where someone has laborious typed every letter.

Bathsheba Sat 21-Jul-18 17:21:24

And consider this too: how many of you say Universal Serial Bus port instead of USB port? Do you routinely say/type Do It Yourself? And what about Ante Meridiem and Post Meridiem? Before Christ and Anno Domini?

Bathsheba Sat 21-Jul-18 17:12:14

I don't mind the abbreviations (they're not really acronyms!) at all TBH. I'm a lifelong trained typist, so typing everything in full isn't a problem for me, but it can be for others, or for people who access GN on their mobile phones, for instance. E.g. look at the difference between the following two sentences:

1) "I see a lot of my daughter and son-in-law and our granddaughter and grandsons, but hardly ever see my son, daughter-in-law and our three other grandchildren"
2) "I see a lot of my DD, SIL and our GD and GSs, but hardly ever see my DS, DIL and our other 3 GC"

It's not hard to see which one would be quicker to type, is it? And honestly, when you get used to them, you really don't notice them - I just read sentences like that as I would if it were typed out in full.

Grandad1943 Sat 21-Jul-18 17:10:30

Like many thousands of others in these times I use speech recognition on my smartphone to post on this forum and in other walks of my life. In that, it is much easier to state the full wording of anything rather than say any acronyms as that "confuses" the speech recognition app as it is always looking for dictionary words.

I have been accused on the forum of "not conforming" to Gransnet convention and as happened yesterday the software can "confuse" such words as duel and dual which one forum member wished to make a mountain out of yesterday.

However, I do feel that acronyms are useful to those using conventional typing methods. That stated, please would all forum members respectfully recognise and accept that other methods of posting on this forum and elsewhere are becoming ever more prominent and in that the use of acronyms will undoubtedly not be used by those who post using such methods.

By example, this post was created using the Android apps "Dragon Anywhere" for speech recognition and "Grammarly"