Gransnet forums

AIBU

Eugenie’s wedding

(378 Posts)
Cambia Sat 18-Aug-18 18:23:41

AIBU to think that we should not have to pay the security costs for Eugenie’s wedding? Apparently she carries out no royal duties at all. I read that the money will come from local councils that apparently cannot afford money for car for the elderly, potholes etc etc. Really do feel that that particular branch of the Royal Family are not particularly good value and that is putting it very politely!

Jalima1108 Fri 24-Aug-18 13:21:29

Perhaps Eugenie will wear clogs with her wedding dress.

Anniebach Fri 24-Aug-18 13:09:55

Sorry sandels

Anniebach Fri 24-Aug-18 13:09:27

They are my only style, clogs and sanders

Jalima1108 Fri 24-Aug-18 12:58:23

Actually, they're more my style than Jimmy Choo!

Anniebach Fri 24-Aug-18 10:07:23

?. Hope Fly flot will be safe

Jalima1108 Fri 24-Aug-18 10:00:23

Are Jimmy Choo shoes made in the UK - or will I have a problem post-Brexit obtaining them? They are my favourite brand.

retreats with tin hat on

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 21:12:24

It will, oh it will

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 20:35:16

Every thread meanders off to Brexit eventually

(surprised this one hasn't yet)

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 20:34:34

yes threads do meander, the the thread on Corbyn and Anti Semetism wander off to Brexit today.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 20:20:57

Threads do meander Sassenach

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 20:20:11

I think I'll watch Muriel's Wedding instead!

sassenach512 Thu 23-Aug-18 19:03:17

What I was 'trying' to say, is that Cambia's OP has been hi-jacked and is now a diatribe against Diana. It has nothing to do with whether I accept your views or not Annie this is supposed to be about Eugenie's wedding....just saying

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 18:31:54

Zara wore Jimmy Choo for her wedding, perhaps Eugenie will do the same.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 18:14:14

Where do you think Eugenie will go for her wedding shoes gillybob?
I do know one groom who wore plimsolls with his morning suit grin

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 18:13:10

It's only four pages if you ask for 100 posts per page therefore much shorter Sassenach wink

Oldwoman70 Thu 23-Aug-18 16:49:29

When Diana joined the RF she was a young inexperienced naive young girl. We don't really know what happened within that marriage in the later years, mostly gossip from partisan courtiers. I think Diana learned how to use the media and her popularity, Charles has always come across as cold and unapproachable which doesn't help him with the public.

I think the disaster, which was their marriage, should be allowed to fade into the background, for the sake of her children.

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 16:43:03

Nothing vitriolic has been said about Diana, I do understand some find the truth of her behaviour difficult to accept.

Gilly was it not you who brought Diana and the way Charles treated her (allegedly) into this thread, and the tampon talk ?

So you started it and others have chosen to continue

gillybob Thu 23-Aug-18 16:35:31

and its got miles to go yet before we reach the magic 1000 !

Politics, the royals and Shoe zone all make for interesting threads.

gillybob Thu 23-Aug-18 16:33:47

By posting you are helping to keep it going you know sassenach512 ....just saying.

sassenach512 Thu 23-Aug-18 16:24:12

This thread has turned into a tedious vitriolic attack on Diana now, it is supposed to be discussing 'Eugenie's wedding'
After 14 pages, is it not time to lay this one to rest?

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 12:55:34

She was thinking of the thrill of the chase in my opinion. She didn’t think of her sons when posing snuggled up to Fayed Jnr for the press either. Little wonder William is camera shy after the times his mother paraded him for the camera, Harry loves the camera as did his mother .

As wrong as the affair was I admired Charles for going ahead with public engagements whilst that was in the press, duty first for him but it must have been so humiliating, not only the public but his parents and siblings.

And I see no criticism of Anne and her affairs.

nigglynellie Thu 23-Aug-18 12:42:46

FGS, which one of us in an intimate relationship hasn't used language that we certainly wouldn't want anyone else to be privy to let alone headlines in the gutter press for the whole world to snigger over or wag a disapproving finger. I felt deeply sorry for P.C over that episode and furious with the tacky media who gleefully made so much of it. Quite frankly Diana behaved both badly and extremely foolishly. Who in their right mind would go chasing off in the middle of the night, with a drunken chauffeur, knowing the paparazzi were waiting to pounce, driving at breakneck speed with no seat belt, when they had their own luxury flat in the hotel where they could have stayed and left in the morning with proper security in force. What on earth was she thinking of? Not her sons that's for sure.

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 10:10:57

eazybee, no different to many others are they?

I do think the majority condemn Charles and potray Diana as a victim. Is adultery acceptable ? Not for me . But so easy to point a finger at Charles for having affairs when single, in no way do I defend this but I can understand why , no front page headlines every time as we had if he was seen with a single girl. All the complaints of their privalages mention their difficulties and - they can walk away.

I think the victims in this sorry saga was those who suffered through Diana’s antics and I include her sons .

eazybee Thu 23-Aug-18 09:33:17

No bias , wicked Charles and innocent Diana victim of the evil Windsors.
Actually, don't think you believe this, Anniebach.

None of the principals, Charles, Camilla, Diana, emerge with credit from this tawdry affair.

eazybee Thu 23-Aug-18 09:26:51

Apologies if this point has already been made, but if the main part of the security bill is for covering the carriage ride through Windsor to protect members of the royal family, surely only Prince Harry and his bride went ride-about after their wedding? All the other guests went straight to the reception, therefore no need for immense expensive protection outside the castle walls.

I am a strong supporter of the concept and reality of our royal family, but I wouldn't cross the road to see any one of the four members of the York clan. I was mildly pleased to hear that Eugenie was getting married as I thought at last she could escape the stifling environment of her mother and sister and lead her own life, as all the other minor royals do, ie the children of the Snowdens, Kents, Gloucesters and Phillips. Regrettably, it appears she intends to continue stressing her royal credentials whilst doing nothing to justify her place.