Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cress

(7 Posts)
Nanagem Sun 16-Sep-18 14:32:09

I must admit I didn’t know, I thought cress was cress. I have to say I grow my own though, I like it heavy on the mustard, got some going most of the time on the windowsill

I like to sprout seeds as well, yummy.

jenpax Sat 15-Sep-18 18:06:11

I never noticed this? thanks for pointing it out. I like cress and will seek out the Tesco’s produce instead now

BlueBelle Sat 15-Sep-18 18:02:14

Lidl do as well Bathsheba that’s the first place I noticed it

And if 70% is rape how come it doesn’t have to be called rape I thought labelling was quite strict as regards ingredients

alchemilla Sat 15-Sep-18 17:55:31

Very easy to grow it yourself - one packet of seed serially grown can see you through for months. And just takes a tiny part of the window ledge!

Bathsheba Sat 25-Aug-18 19:23:34

I'd never noticed that BlueBelle and I've just had some fun googling the main online stores. Yep, all except one of the five big stores call rape/cress mix 'cress'. That's Sainsbury, Asda, Waitrose and Morrisons. Only Tesco's cress is 100% cress.
I used to like mustard and cress - is that still around? Probably have to grow it yourself...

MissAdventure Sat 25-Aug-18 18:58:45

I always thought over 50 percent of one ingredient was needed to label it by that name.
Maybe I made it up in my head though..

BlueBelle Sat 25-Aug-18 17:09:54

Am I being unreasonable to wonder how the supermarkets who sell growing salad cress in those little square plastic containers get away with it when the label clearly says 70%rape 30%cress I ve noticed this in a least three different supermarkets so presume it is completely normal
What do you think ?