Gransnet forums

AIBU

Autumn

(83 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 28-Aug-18 09:01:21

AIBU to be looking forward to Autumn,? Beautiful colourful leaves, wellie boots, squelchy walks,fireworks , home baking OK perhaps not that one ( never turns out the way I envisage.)
Do you have a favourite season & what is the reason ?

SparklyGrandma Tue 04-Sep-18 17:43:56

Beautiful garden, Flossieturner

Autumn is my favourite, mellow fruitfulness, getting the jumpers out and on, cwtching inside the house in the warm, the different colour leaves, berries.
The low golden sun as she starts to leave us for winter. Warm soups and stews...

I hate winter!

TwiceAsNice Tue 04-Sep-18 09:39:48

I don't like Autumn and loathe Winter. Hate it when the clocks go back and the evenings get dark early, I don't like driving in the dark at all and avoid it as much as possible. Then you have Winter which is even worse as I hate the snow and am actually afraid to drive in that. Spring is good when everything is new and bright and the relief of coming out of Winter but my very favourite season has to be Summer. I love the fact that it is warm most of the time ( hopefully) and that I can wear sandals all the time and don't have to wrap up in layers of clothes. My birthday is in July so maybe that has something to do with it as well. The one good thing about Autumn is Strictly again ( love it) and that Winter has Christmas in it ( love that even more)

Chewbacca Tue 04-Sep-18 07:21:41

Autumn is the most beautiful season of the year imo. That distinctive musky smell, first thing in the morning; the sharp bright blue skies and the rich colours of the trees; fine rain and the smell of woodfires in the evening ... I love it! All this summer I've felt sluggish and drowsy but now that the temperature has dropped, I feel more energetic and happy to actually "get on and do things".

Tea and cake Tue 04-Sep-18 07:14:54

That first smell of spring in the air. May...best of all months. But this summer (I can't do heat) was looking forward to the cool crisp days of autumn. Winter can be cosy, now I don't have to struggle to work!

pollyperkins Tue 04-Sep-18 06:27:05

Congratulations on your 50th anniversary grandad1943. We are not far behind. Enjoy your second retirement!

KaazaK Mon 03-Sep-18 19:02:45

April, May and June, my favourite months! September hails the downturn into dark nights and dull, miserable days for me! Not to mention seeing Christmas stuff in the shops already for goodness sake! I wish shops and the media would realise that we don't all like Christmas (I've started dreading it already!) For a lot of people its just another lonely day or they may have lost a loved one around that time. I work in the legal profession and while working in family law you could always guarantee we were rushed off our feet post Christmas with divorces and separated parents spatting over children!

Cindy8 Wed 29-Aug-18 14:17:02

I absolutely love winter especially with the picture post card looks of snow on tree branches and the lake frozen over and everyone all wrapped up snuggly in the snow and fresh air. I think its because im a winter baby?

JoJo58 Wed 29-Aug-18 12:31:04

I was always told by my Dad from a very young age that we should always embrace all of natures seasons they happen for a reason and that we cannot control, that has always stuck with me so Yes I enjoy every change that happens (still have me little gripes still wouldn't be normal if I didn't) but just thankful still here to enjoy them.

Alypoole Tue 28-Aug-18 23:25:55

Spring and Summer for me. Loathe rhe dark nights and mornings. I admit the trees changing colour are beautiful but a reminder that Winter is on its way. Roll on March I say.flowers sunshine

Rosiebee Tue 28-Aug-18 23:12:26

Autumn every time. The light in October always seems to have a touch of gold about it. I do love the fact that we have the different seasons. There's something to enjoy about each one. I can't imagine living in a country that doesn't have such distinctive seasons.

Brigidsdaughter Tue 28-Aug-18 21:46:34

I used like all seasons, especially summer. However, humidity almost renders me immobile. I'm dreading another heatwave - DH promises to remind me in the depths of winter when I say I can't wait for the heat to end.
Autumn would be my season of choice.

Beau Tue 28-Aug-18 21:05:15

I prefer spring and summer - especially since now that I have had to move to the North West I feel cold most of the time. I can't stop myself from looking at the weather in my hometown in the South East every day and during the 'heatwave' it was often 10 degrees warmer there. I can cope with a couple of degrees difference but 10 degrees was ?
Also it rains all the time here summer or winter ?

grandmaz Tue 28-Aug-18 20:09:18

Bridgeit...I love autumn, too...it's such a beautiful season and so gentle after the heat of summer...

Washerwoman Tue 28-Aug-18 19:19:58

Autumn and spring lover here.Love walking my dogs through woods full of leaves on a bright ,crisp day or when all the leaves are just emerging and everything is a vibrant green. This summer has been amazing it's true ,and I do love eating outside but at times it was just too hot ,I got fed up of watering and seeing the garden struggle and I actually prefer Autumn/winter food and clothes. The only downside is how ridiculously early the commercial build up to Christmas starts.Plus I don't like driving on wet,dark nights.

MissAdventure Tue 28-Aug-18 19:10:38

Autumn or spring; I love them both.

blueskies Tue 28-Aug-18 18:39:52

George Melly singing September Song. Wonderful.

SunnySusie Tue 28-Aug-18 17:50:32

I use a SAD lamp on gloomy winter days, just first thing in the morning. It does seem to help, but who knows if that is the placebo effect. I suppose it doesnt really matter if it makes you feel more lively, energetic and cheerful. They have come down a lot in price and size, so can easily be popped on a table next to a computer or used whilst having breakfast.

jenpax Tue 28-Aug-18 17:18:15

I am a SAD sufferer! so autumn makes me very anxious, since I know that the cold dark wet days are just around the corner ?

gerry86 Tue 28-Aug-18 17:13:46

I love spring as I love all of the spring flowers and the nights are getting lighter and good weather (hopefully) is ahead. No driving to work on icy mornings.

garnet25 Tue 28-Aug-18 17:00:40

I have a SAD light in my study and find it really helpful. I also take vitamin D in the winter.

I hate Autumn and winter and love
spring and summer.

BBbevan Tue 28-Aug-18 15:55:26

Not really a season, but that tiny bit between the end of winter and the start of spring. So much hope of pleasures to come

Grammaretto Tue 28-Aug-18 15:06:16

I'm another who loves Autumn. The harvest, the beauty of the trees. Its a quieter time of reflection and resolve.
I seem to get a burst of energy.
Its the Celtic new year, of course, Samhain, marking halfway between the Autumn equinox and the Winter solstice.
I wonder if this is why the school year begins in Autumn.

oldbatty Tue 28-Aug-18 14:45:23

Wit end, I have one. If you are sufficiently well enough to motivate yourself to use it, it helps! Also the lumie clock is good, oh and exercise which sadly doesn't come easy to me.

NanKate Tue 28-Aug-18 14:43:02

I too love the Autumn, sometimes warm days and cool evenings and wonderful co,ours. I wonder if it is anything to do with having a September birthday.

humptydumpty Tue 28-Aug-18 14:25:56

Have thought of filling my living room with as many lights as possible to stave off depression, will be interested to hear if anyone has any experience of SAD lights?