Gransnet forums

AIBU

School uniforms

(109 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 05-Sep-18 19:16:53

To think academies’ uniform policies are ridiculous and unreasonable.
My granddaughter has just started secondary school and her uniform cost hundreds of pounds. Every item had to be bought from the school shop at top prices but poor quality. She needed five different items just for PE, including short socks and long socks, all with school logo. What the hell does it matter what socks they wear!
This is a state comprehensive school. I cannot imagine how poor parents manage and what about those with twins or triplets?
If a child wears the wrong thing to school they get punished, even if their uniform has been stolen or their expensive shoes have fallen apart.

MissAdventure Sat 08-Sep-18 11:14:00

I'm eternally grateful my grandsons school has a uniform.
I would hate him to be the kid that lives with his Nan and doesn't have the latest labels to wear.

Jalima1108 Sat 08-Sep-18 11:12:30

And, of course, there will be the 'haves' at school wearing the 'must have labels' and the 'have nots' unable to compete, perhaps bullied or, even if not, being made to feel awful.

School uniform is a leveller as long as it is a sensible uniform and the costs are kept down.

MissAdventure Sat 08-Sep-18 10:58:08

I think anything with a 'must have' label is the equivalent of wearing a uniform.
Why people would pay a ridiculous amount to wear the same as other people, I don't know.

Jalima1108 Sat 08-Sep-18 10:47:57

grin it reminds me of a group of men in a pub all saying that they could never join the Forces because they didn't want to wear a uniform.
All wearing identical blue jeans and t shirts.

annodomini Sat 08-Sep-18 10:45:15

Standing in for another lecturer in an FE college, I started a discussion among a class of trainee nannies about school uniform. They unanimously agreed that they had always hated it and were glad to be free of it. Then I looked at them: each one of them was wearing jeans and a college sweat shirt!

Jalima1108 Sat 08-Sep-18 10:43:48

I think so, Hm999; it would be much easier to spot an escapee.
I have seen groups of nursery children out wearing bright purple or red, but bottle green isn't at all distinctive.

Hm999 Sat 08-Sep-18 10:29:57

And sure Nursery uniform (usually just a bright sweatshirt?) is safety-aware when taking them off-site?

Hm999 Sat 08-Sep-18 10:27:44

Can I defend teachers please? They are told to check uniform, and can be told off if, on a lesson observation, there is a pupil not in complete uniform in their class. Presumably Senior Leadership Team of school will say they are told by the governors or Multi-academy Trust to push school uniform.

Iam64 Sat 08-Sep-18 09:31:10

I'm with Luckygirl -get rid of school uniforms. The accepted uniform would quickly become a pair of jeans, t shirt and sweat shirt with boots or flat shoes. That's the out of school uniform we see everywhere

Bluegal Fri 07-Sep-18 21:20:07

I am one that actually loved school uniforms! Yes agree might have cost my parents an arm and leg but I really felt proud to wear it! Years later when my daughters went to school the uniform was more relaxed but still a uniform as such. I would have hated the American way of.... anything goes. Maybe I just like UNIFORMS as love all sorts of uniforms and fancied policemen, fireman etc

But seriously when I left school and went to a college where there was NO uniform it was a nightmare for me simply because it was a competition as to who had the best, most up to date, most fabulous outfits! My parents couldn't afford to dress me then in the latest fashion. At least with a uniform there is no competition in that respect. All dressed the same.

Jalima1108 Fri 07-Sep-18 19:51:46

^how to make a developing adolescent girl feel really really crap about herself.^However - none of it as bad as gymslips!!

As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out.

If you don't have to buy school uniform to kit out your DC then you have to buy more clothes that are suitable for school anyway.
Having a reasonably priced school uniform means spending out on the uniform, on play/casual clothes and something for 'best' so the cost is probably about the same. Of course, if the price of the school uniform is extortionate, that is something that does need addressing.

I hate seeing my little DGD coming out of school wearing clothes in a colour that simply does not suit her and those grim black school shoes that cost an arm and a leg.
I saw the DGD yesterday - the little one looked very sweet and very happy in her pretty gingham dress and the older one, who had worn blouse and skirt (same school), changed as soon as she got home from school.

I don't remember ever wearing my school uniform out of school Deedaa - it was pretty hideous!

Luckygirl Fri 07-Sep-18 19:37:06

And as for the charity days when you PAY for the child not to wear uniform - words fail me!

And do the children learn less on those days? - of course not!

Luckygirl Fri 07-Sep-18 18:59:22

I am absolutely 100% against school uniform - it is an unnecessary expense, it is ugly and it simply becomes a focus for rebellion and detracts from the school getting on with their real job rather than policing uniform.

I watch the pubertal girls walking to school in their grey (men's) trousers, their (men's) shirts, their (men's) blazers, their (men's) ties with their busts bursting out of it all - how to make a developing adolescent girl feel really really crap about herself.

It is simply all wrong.

The idea that there is already not competition between pupils within the constraints of the uniform is nonsense.

I hate seeing my little DGD coming out of school wearing clothes in a colour that simply does not suit her and those grim black school shoes that cost an arm and a leg.

Just get rid of the lot!

Pupils do not suddenly cease to learn when they go to sixth form or college in their own clothes!

Deedaa Fri 07-Sep-18 18:03:55

Does anyone else remember the good old days when our school uniforms were worn as "best" clothes for family outings? I've still got photos of me at the zoo in my school blazer and panama hat!

At least GS1's new uniform hasn't been too bad. Blazer,tie and sports gear from the school and trousers and shirts from M&S. GS2 has his cast offs and GS3 has GS2's

Billybob4491 Fri 07-Sep-18 17:31:45

My granddaughter aged 4 started school this week and her uniform and PE kit etc., came to nearly £200, and she is a tiny little girl.

womblekelly Fri 07-Sep-18 17:24:20

Not a huge fan of school uniform.... always remember the beret I had to wear ... and then the 17 shirts a week to wash and iron when both girls were at secondary school ..that did include husband’sas well

Wheniwasyourage Thu 06-Sep-18 22:31:04

Our local secondary school has a tie and a uniform jumper with a badge, sold through the school, and they wear white shirts bought from wherever they like. No jeans because if they get wet at the start of the day it takes all day to dry out, but otherwise they can wear any (decent!) dark trousers or skirts. No blazers, I am happy to say - they aren't waterproof and are expensive, so what is the point of them? This is a poor area, but the uniform-wearing rate is very high as it is cheap and comfortable, and they all look very smart.

The various primary schools and nurseries have uniform sweatshirts and they too look smart. I'm sorry to see so many posts about expensive uniforms. That must be very difficult for families with several children and/or low incomes.

lemongrove Thu 06-Sep-18 22:15:17

school uniform seems a lot cheaper now than it ever was way back then when we were children/teenagers.It can be washed and dried quickly too.

Nanna58 Thu 06-Sep-18 21:24:45

My youngest granddaughters school shirts were £38 for two from the school shop. Same shirts direct from Trutex £18 for two - worth shopping around!!

Happysexagenarian Thu 06-Sep-18 19:13:16

Forgot to add that many senior schools have a different uniform for Year 10s and above (especially the boys) as they are really 'young men' then and look better in a tailored suit without badges or logos. Sometimes a lapel pin is worn to ID the school.

Happysexagenarian Thu 06-Sep-18 19:04:17

When I started Secondary school in the early 1960s my uniform was only available from the Co-Op so my Mum saved up her 'Divi' through the year which helped with the cost. I have to say it was excellent quality: a wool blazer; heavy warm raincoat for the winter; and well made skirts, shirts and summer dresses. My GM altered my blazer and skirts each year so that they lasted more than one year. I was always very proud of my uniform and still have my tie and scarf.

Two of my GC started new schools this week, one to Secondary school and the other to Primary Pre-School. They both had to have full uniform, some of it from the school shop but some could be bought anywhere as long as it's the right colour. They both looked very smart on their first days.

I think school uniform is a good idea. When I have visited schools where uniform is not worn you are often greeted by a cacophony of colours and styles often inappropriate for school. A smart uniform reduces fashion competition, and promotes pride and unity in the school. But it should be affordable. School badges and logos can be iron-on or sew-on to reduce costs and allow parents to buy jumpers, sweatshirts and jackets from High street stores.

As for exercise books and similar materials, they should be provided by the school at no cost to the parents. I know exactly how much schools pay for these items from suppliers and it is a fraction of the prices in the shops. Now that parents are expected to provide tablets, laptops and other high value learning resources, as well as overseas educational trips, the least the school can do is provide basic materials.

Grandmama Thu 06-Sep-18 18:44:10

Sorry pedants: should be my mother and me.

Grandmama Thu 06-Sep-18 18:43:24

My grammar school had a list of 4 shops for buying uniform. I can still remember my mother and I choosing which shop to go to buy it then coming home and putting it all on so my parents could see me - so proud of me going to grammar school (which I loved).

At the end of the summer term before we started secondary education visits were made to our new schools. My grammar school had a stall selling second hand uniform but my parent who were far from well off as my mother was a SAHM wouldn't have dreamt of sending me in second hand clothes.

Daisyboots Thu 06-Sep-18 17:50:28

The cost of school uniforms even in junior schools was brought home to me yesterday. Mt 10 grandson had grown so much over the summer that he couldn't get his school sweater/sweatshirt on. A new one because it has the school logo embroidered on was £20. My daughter is a single parent and they live in a poor area so many parents must find it as hard to find the money as her. In Asda you could buy two sweatshirts in the same colour for about half the price of the embroidered one. Another grandson is special needs and goes to a special school. He is now 14 and going into year 10 and has to have a completely different uniform. Why? It is really getting stupid in my opinion. Yes my parents spent over £100 on my grammar school uniform in 1955 which must have been more than a months earning for my father in those days. It was tan and mid blue so everything had to come from one of the two uniform shops in the town. So with all the other schools locally having navy or black uniforms we stuck out like a saw thumb. I do agree with uniforms but I think it is now getting ridiculous needing the school badge on every item.

M0nica Thu 06-Sep-18 17:39:29

DGD, not FGD,