Gransnet forums

AIBU

Postie's and dogs, a war of attrition with my new postie! Advice please!

(113 Posts)
Farmnanjulie Thu 20-Sep-18 10:22:52

I live on a farm in rural country lane,and we have two dogs,they are two Staffies who I use as volunteer therapy dogs due to their friendly and gentle nature,we take these dogs everywhere and anyone who meets them loves them,well our two postie's share this route and have met my dogs from new pups,and actually knock on the door to see them if they are not out in the garden,the postie who replaces them on days off ,is the same.
As are our bin collectors etc.
Our garden goes around our cottage with a wrought iron gate with the country lane in front of it so we get farm and public traffic coming by.
Sorry to waffle but helps you understand the problem.
On my birthday on one of the hottest days of the year,I saw a parcel left outside the gates on the road side, they were a bouquet delivered by royal mail,the chocolate inside were in a melted puddle,and the flowers so wilted they were dead by the end of the day,then on another day i saw a new postman ramming our post in the bars of the iron gate,this included folded over birthday cards,this has happened with other items,and I really got fed up when a contactless card in a Halifax envelope was hanging out of the gate, when I saw one of our regular postman I asked what was going on ,he said there was a new postman appointed and in his words " was terrified of barking dogs" he also said they had told him that these were lovely dogs and he had known them all there lives,and they have been tested and used as therapy dogs,
Since then I have noticed we have gone from having daily post to barely getting any,we have had daily post always and things were not arriving..

I complained to the post office and they had him Interviewed and said he has a duty to leave post secure,as he isn't doing that,he now refuses to post at all ,and they want us to pick up most from a office nine miles away,the customer service said that as our post could come between 8.30 to 3.00,it's not practical to keep the dogs in for all that time,the manager said he was told by other postie's that there is no problem ,but he won't budge,he was asked would be like to meet them with me,and he refused,.

I feel really cross! They have not done anything,never have and have plenty of support from those who know them,and now we have considerable problems to get it post!
In a farm area,he is going to come across dogs,if he is that terrified ,should he be doing this job!
What do you think,! I would welcome your views!

juneski Sun 23-Sep-18 19:48:21

I'm really sorry, but I think you are being a little unreasonable. I think you need to find a way your postie can deliver the mail safely. There are so many instances of posties getting attacked by dogs, and while I am sure your dogs are perfectly lovely, not everyone loves dogs.... I'm not sure where that is in the postman job description.

justwokeup Sun 23-Sep-18 02:12:40

A post box by the gate is not unreasonable when you have 2 dogs. We have free access to the front door but the postie never leaves large parcels, we have to collect them from the sorting office as 'too large for the letterbox'. That might be a compromise.

mrsmopp Sat 22-Sep-18 23:44:28

Could the postman ring you on your mobile to let you know he is on his way, and you could bring the dogs in till after the delivery?
I would not expect anyone to enter my property if there were any dogs running loose. Dogs are territorial, they are guarding the property and no postman should be expected to enter under any circumstances, it's not worth the risk as you cannot predict the dogs reaction. Health and safety rules. Common sense in fact.

1974cookie Sat 22-Sep-18 21:03:30

Barneyoldbat. I see what you are trying to say, but what if the chase ended up by the Postwoman getting hurt ? It may not be caused by your dog biting her , but my goodness, what if she had fallen over trying to escape your over exuberant dog, and broken a bone or several ???
If a dog had jumped out of a window to chase me as you have stated, I would be absolutely terrified !! The size of the dog does not diminish the damage it can cause.

Fennel Fri 21-Sep-18 11:34:41

".Maybe your postie has had a bad experience".
And maybe Royal Mail have to protect their workers.
Otherwise no-one would be a postie, and we would be even more unhappy.

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Sep-18 10:53:25

paddyann your first sentence sums it up in one.

Pat1949 Fri 21-Sep-18 09:11:15

Nannabilly Well said. I really can’t understand how anyone would put 100% trust in a dog. A few years ago I was bitten by a friend’s spaniel. It had never shown any aggression towards me before or since. I still have the scar to prove it.

Nanabilly Fri 21-Sep-18 08:25:18

It looks as if farmnan has left us (unless she is lurking to check her replies)
I have read and 're read this thread and bit my tongue too.
My man is a postman , he is also a dog lover and has owned both small and larger dogs all his life .
A few years ago he was constantly harassed by a dog and one day it chased and bit him badly.
He is still not afraid of dogs but is very wary of strange dogs both small and large. There is a huge difference to being afraid and being wary and this is what her post person is probably feeling. Wary!!!
People who force their dogs into other people or other dogs by saying " it's ok he is a big softee and only wants to play" make my blood boil.
Keep your dog under control ..it's the law . How the heck can you watch a dog from the kitchen window. If anything did happen then you would not be there to stop it . It would be too late by the time you had got to where the dog was.
Dogs ARE unpredictable ALL dogs are including yours . They may never have reacted before but who knows it will never happen .
How many times will a post person have heard those words and then the dog has reacted .
The managers at the post delivery office would never have agreed that the member of staff is in the wrong job..

Patticake123 Fri 21-Sep-18 07:14:55

I would side with the postman. I’ve been nipped on the ankles by one too many ‘friendly ‘ dogs that according to their owners ‘wouldn’t hurt a fly’. A postbox by the Gate May be the answer.

Pat1949 Fri 21-Sep-18 07:09:26

My daughter is a postie and quite frankly dogs are the bane of any posties life. She's not afraid of dogs we (and she) have always had them as family pets throughout her life, but she is always wary of other people's animals. The number of times she has had people telling her the dogs are ok only to have them snapping at her ankles is unbelievable. Maybe your postie has had the same. No dog is 100% trustworthy, sometimes they can take a dislike into certain people. We once had a Boxer, which loved everyone except
an insurance man. When the collector knocked on the door the dog would go absolutely wild, the one day the dog actually broke a pane of glass in the front door trying to get at him, thank goodness he didn't suceed. After that I always made sure the dog was firmly locked away around the time when I knew the man was coming. We have owned staffies and have had no problem with them. At the moment we have a bullmastiff, a large heap of love, but because of her size people are wary of her. We always make sure she is in the house when we are expecting the post person,who comes around a two hour time slot. Couldn't you do the same? Or at least give the man a break and construct something where your post can be left securely. It seems quite selfish to me that you seem reluctant to do this and are even complaining about him. Nothing worse than a fear of anything.
Unless you do something to allow your post to be delivered in circumstances that the postie feels safe Royal Mail rules actually stipulate that they are under no obligation to deliver (something I've found out recently) Obviously, he feels threatened, so either construct a safe box or collect your mail from the depot.

paddyann Thu 20-Sep-18 23:47:46

Farmnanjulie its not the dog thats the issue usually ,its the owner,My friends dog was ragdolled by two staffies just yesterday,he's an old boy and he's had to have antibiotics,stitches and sedatives from the vet.The two "men" who were with the dogs thought it was funny and said if she was worried just to kick their dogs' heads!!The police have been informed ,my friend is distraught,her old boy is 17 ,hes the best natured wee dog an dthats coming from me who is terrified of dogs .Maybe your postie has had a bad experience

Shizam Thu 20-Sep-18 22:49:15

Couldn’t agree more about keeping the dogs under control! Don’t blame the postie! I am a dog owner and lover. But, honestly do not want to walk on to someone’s property where something might bite or scare me!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 20-Sep-18 22:02:08

bye the way, he never hurt her I think he just liked the chase.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 20-Sep-18 22:00:10

We had a springer spaniel who hated the postwoman and would sit by the front door just waiting to grab the letters and pull them to pieces. If he could he would get out and chase her, it was hell trying to keep him in during the summer holidays with kids at home, he even jumped out the window once to chase her. I ended up having to collect my post. Dogs and posties. grr

MissAdventure Thu 20-Sep-18 21:57:01

Oh.

notanan2 Thu 20-Sep-18 21:55:07

Are you a postman, notanan?
No, Im just pointing out that being unwilling to work around the OPs free roaming dogs does not necessarily indicate a dog phobia that deems one unsuitable for working in the public where one might expect to encounter well managed dogs.

lemongrove Thu 20-Sep-18 21:20:42

grin Phoenix

I agree with the posts advising the OP to take measures to keep the dogs away from the front garden.Even with a wrap around garden, attractive fencing with gates in can easily be put up.
I really like dogs, but don’t like being jumped up on by them or even a strange dog running at me ( friendly or not.)

MissAdventure Thu 20-Sep-18 21:16:22

grin
Phoenix! I was almost that frightened..

Luckygirl Thu 20-Sep-18 21:01:25

Phoenix - smile

phoenix Thu 20-Sep-18 20:59:09

MissA, I appreciate that you were nervous, but surely doing a poo behind your neighbours sofa was a bit extreme ! grin

paperbackbutterfly, you say you dislike dogs as they are "germ carriers", how do you feel about money? More germs on that than the average dog!

I like dogs, and will always pat and fuss friendly ones, but I do not allow them to lick.

Fennel Thu 20-Sep-18 20:43:19

Good post*Iam*.
My work also took me into people's homes and many of them had a dog. Or two. I'm not afraid of dogs, but aware that they naturally feel protective of their home and their owner.
Several times I had to freeze as a dog, usually an alsation, started to circle me until the owner called it off.

Iam64 Thu 20-Sep-18 20:24:57

There are several, easy, practical solutions to the little local difficulty. You either chain outside, or keep your dogs inside. Alternatively, you put a post box at the perimeter gate of your property so the postie doesn't need to risk feeling high anxious or worse, being harassed (bitten even) by your dogs.

My work took me into people's homes. I never entered unless the dogs were secured outside the room we'd be meeting in. I have two dogs currently, have often had 3 and I' confident around dogs. confident enough to know that dogs are dogs, no dog is entirely predictable.

The thing about the postie, the window cleaner and others is that they come to the house, they may even knock on the door but they are never allowed in. In the dogs head, their barking kept the danger at bay. So, they repeat the behaviour.
It's so unfair to expect the world to accommodate our dogs. We love them, love sharing our lives with them. Not everyone feels the same. It's simple good manners and also legally expected that we have our dogs under control at all times. The new Act means if we don't, we can be prosecuted.

merlotgran Thu 20-Sep-18 20:24:41

Only a tiny poo, MissA. At least it wasn't a Great Dane. grin

MissAdventure Thu 20-Sep-18 20:18:56

Are you a postman, notanan?
I'm quite scared of dogs.
I was going to take my neighbours chihuahua out for a walk whilst she was out for the day last week.
The chihuahua was afraid when I let myself in, and I was afraid I'd get bitten.
So, neighbour came home to find a poo behind her sofa!

notanan2 Thu 20-Sep-18 20:13:35

You can love and own dogs and still be scared of strange dogs who don't get called away from strangers. That's just being sensible!