Gransnet forums

AIBU

Restaurants

(62 Posts)
PoshSpice Sun 30-Sep-18 22:59:36

AIBU to think that SIL ordering food for a 18 mth old baby off a restaurant menu (a £9 pasta dish) that baby then doesn’t eat any of is not on and a complete waste of money? hmm Then allows grandad to pick up the tab for everyone? angry

harrigran Mon 01-Oct-18 10:09:59

DIL used to carry a bag with small plastic bowls and toddler spoons, one bowl of pasta would be ordered between two children and mother gave them small portions. GD2 by the age of one could manage an adult pasta which left me struggling.
GD1 has always felt too grown up for the childrens menu so we keep an eye on what she is ordering, anything over seasoned will see the entire meal left.

Coconut Mon 01-Oct-18 10:45:27

Talking of waste .... I witnessed a family being served food by a waiter, and the child then said “ I don’t want this now” so the father said” leave it then and order something else” .... speechless !

quizqueen Mon 01-Oct-18 10:51:04

We very often eat at the Toby Carvery and the main course meal for young children is always free and very wholesome- lots of choices of veg and a huge Yorkshire pudding which keeps the toddler quiet for ages!

DIL17 Mon 01-Oct-18 11:24:00

It's down to the parents really.

I would only take out baby/toddler food with us if we were just popping out to the park or shopping. For a meal out with family, then from the age of 1, I ordered DD something from the childrens menu or a small starter.

We would always eat the same meals at home and wanted to extend this to eating out.

For the sake of harmony, I'd have just paid the bill and moved on.

vickya Mon 01-Oct-18 11:27:55

2 year old grandson is a bad eater but eats everything apparently at the childminder, like Beau's grandchild. Last time we ordered a child meal for him, which was a quarter chicken, and I had a child meal too, roast pork, a very generous portion, adult is usually too much for me, and dad had an adult meal and was still hungry. Daughter had brought a few things in little tubs and grandson played with those, peanut butter sandwich, bite of banana etc. Ate not one mouthful of his meal and I had some of his chicken and dad had most. No waste smile. And they treated me and paid for an Uber for me back to my car! It was pouring and too far for me to walk again. I wasn't able to pay for the Uber as you need an ap. My first Uber! They are very nice. Friendly driver.

DotMH1901 Mon 01-Oct-18 11:32:42

We didn't eat out with my children until they were in the top end of Junior School - simply didn't have the money until then. With my DGC I have taken them into cafes and restaurants (on my own quite often) from them being babies and, until they were old enough to eat the kind of food served, would take a home made meal with me that was suitable for them to have. Not once was I asked to order something from the menu for them, in fact I was frequently asked if I needed a spare plate/cup etc for them. I have also ordered just for me and shared a meal with them (if I only had one GC with me at the time). As they grew older I would order extras from the sides menu if needed - there is often a really good choice. A fully priced adult meal is not necessary - but perhaps your s-i-l was a bit flustered and didn't know what to order for the best?

grannytotwins Mon 01-Oct-18 12:32:57

As my DGC are twins I used to order one meal and two plates. Sometimes they would wolf down the food and other times hardly touch it. Toddlers are so unpredictable even when it’s something they love. I’d just forget the money spent on uneaten food. It’s annoying, but typical toddler life.

mabon1 Mon 01-Oct-18 12:38:00

Not your money, so not your business but it is a waste.

paddyann Mon 01-Oct-18 12:42:48

mine never had jar food ,always ate what we did and were happy to eat in restaurants apart from one day whenmy son refused the macaroni cheese as he said it was tinned,he was absolutely right.The waitress was at pains to tell us it was tinned but it was Heinz .As if that was a reason to eat it .

dogsmother Mon 01-Oct-18 13:03:06

Depends on the child.
My second was born at 11 lb and by 18 month# ate more than a 4 year old! He really was off the scale but did settle eventually, he is now 6’4” and went through a big stage but I had a job holding him back from his appetite it was immense ?

4allweknow Mon 01-Oct-18 13:04:06

Did the Mum ask if they did a half portion if no children's menu. Does seem annoying to just order a course for an 18month in the hope it will be eaten. Does the Mum do this if out without someone else paying? If so money obviously doesn't mean anything to her.

JenniferEccles Mon 01-Oct-18 13:17:10

£9 for a pasta meal for an 18 month old?

That's outrageous. What a waste of poor grandad's money.

Happysexagenarian Mon 01-Oct-18 13:53:20

For under-twos we usually ask for an extra plate and share small portions from the adults meals. Baby gets to try new foods and if he doesn't like it he haven't wasted a whole meal. Restaurants are always happy to assist.

Hm999 Mon 01-Oct-18 13:54:23

Personally I prefer to ask for a spare plate and everyone adds a bit to baby's plate.

MysticalUnicorn Mon 01-Oct-18 14:00:20

I always used to share my meal with my toddlers of that age if we went out. Would never have bought a separate portion, it's just waste of food and money.

lizzy67 Mon 01-Oct-18 15:37:36

I remember going into a posh vegetarian restaurant with my new hubby, my own 2 sons, and one of their friends. The food was good, the service was good, but I nearly choked on my food when I saw 2 female waitresses smooching each other in full view of customers. This was over 30 years. I'm not homephobic, but the kids were all 10-11 years of age. They sniggered at these women, but I almost died of embarrassment!

notanan2 Mon 01-Oct-18 16:10:05

Kids are fickle though

Same baby probably usually eats NOTHING but pasta, and chows down whole bowls at a time.

They do it on purpose to embarrass mum and dad I swear.

E.g. you are staying with friends who ask what your kids like for breakfast. You tell them that toast is fine, they love toast & dont like cereal.

Kids get toast, look at it like its a turd, and ask if there is any cereal.

GillT57 Mon 01-Oct-18 16:11:33

Lizzy, homophobia doesn't enter into it, it is bad manners, unprofessional and likely unhygienic to snog other members of staff in front of customers, I would be just as repulsed if it had been a heterosexual couple, yuk.

Esspee Mon 01-Oct-18 17:41:31

Problem with children's menus is that they often are stuff that I would never feed to one of mine. (e.g. Pizza, chicken nuggets, fish fingers, chips etc.). I alway rate a restaurant by the children's offers. It should be small portions of the best adult meals.
If someone else was paying I would simply ask for a small plate and share my meal, or if the child was a picky eater I would bring food from home.

EmilyHarburn Mon 01-Oct-18 18:01:45

If I pay for a meal and anything is left I ask the resturant to pack it up and I take it home.

wendione Mon 01-Oct-18 18:12:53

Not at all unreasonable. I would be annoyed too particularly if I was paying. I remember my father-in-law pulling up his daughter about her ordering adult meals for her two children, knowing full well they wouldn't be able to eat all of the food. The best of it was that we also had two younger children who were being given food off both of our plates but we were always expected to split the bill three ways!! I admired him so much for speaking up for us because my ex husband was too scared of her to say anything and I didnt feel it was my place because it wasnt my family and I was the in law! FiL had obviously picked up that it would become the "norm" if someone didnt address it. I would not tolerate that type of behaviour today. Far too many parents treat everything as easy come easy go and particularly when it comes to money - especially their generous parents. Speak up and make it clear you do not appreciate waste

Tillybelle Mon 01-Oct-18 18:26:18

I totally agree with MissAdventure What a waste of money! Was he showing off? Or is he just extremely stupid?
Good point ajanela!

Tillybelle Mon 01-Oct-18 18:30:38

wendione Maybe I'm going a bit off the point of this thread, but you reminded me of the many times I was dining with a group who drank loads of wine and other expensive alcohol. I do not drink alcohol. When the bill came they always expected us all to split it evenly. I decided to say, after a couple of times, I'll split the food not the drink. Their drink constituted over half the bill!

Shazmo24 Mon 01-Oct-18 18:31:07

At that price I would have eaten it myself!

annep Mon 01-Oct-18 20:05:44

Parents seem to do this kind of thing nowadays. We were much more careful with money. I just hold my tongue. I live far away so it doesn't happen often. I would have to say something, if I lived close, but I don't think it would go down well.