Gransnet forums

AIBU

On my own at Christmas

(71 Posts)
grassgreen Sun 07-Oct-18 17:59:05

For the first time, will be on my own at Christmas. No partner and adult children doing their own thing.

Don't want to go away but would like to do something other than being at home on my own eating and watching TV.

No desire to invite anyone to spend Christmas with me; I'm quite self-sufficient but would just like to do something - not sure what. Any ideas?

Tooglamtogiveadamn Sun 16-Dec-18 13:42:03

What about pampering yourself, with a bath bomb from lush (I would recommend intergalactic), a bath, a face mask, a glass of wine, and doing your nails and watching Christmas movies? Whatever you decide to do, enjoy it. Have a very merry Christmas and a happy, healthy new year! Best wishestchsmile

mrsmopp Fri 07-Dec-18 00:29:28

I would hope for a dry day, pop something nice in the oven, wrap up and go for a walk, coming home as the dinner is ready. Then feet up, telly on, box of chocolates and a wee dram of what you fancy,

Grandma70s Tue 04-Dec-18 18:02:07

I’ll be sort of on my own this year for the first time ever. I have always travelled 200 miles south to stay with my sons and their families. This year I just don’t feel up to it. We talked about it and at first they said they would all come here and stay in a hotel, but we decided (well, I and my DIL decided) that young children should be in their own beds when Father Christmas comes. As a result they are coming here a few days after Christmas, which should be fine.

My only concern is that as I am now in slightly sheltered accommodation, the people here will know I’m on my own and try to persuade me into ‘activities’. I shall explain that I am expecting phone and video calls all day, so must stay in my flat eating, watching telly and talking to family and friends. It is such a relief not to have to travel.

mcem Tue 04-Dec-18 17:29:37

My problem is a bit different. I have had 3 invitations from family for Christmas day but those invitations do not include my daughter because her behaviour this year has virtually alienated her siblings!
So I believe the buck stops here and have asked her to spend the day with me, citing my accident and illness this year and my desire to avoid the usually hectic day.
She has said she'd prefer me to go to her but I don't want to!!
Not sure what's next but I 'd happily spend the day on my own. Not joining in or volunteering. Just by myself!

SparklyGrandma Tue 04-Dec-18 17:04:13

Sometimes I spend it alone but have to softly put kind friends off about it.
I have ordered food and wine, will batten down the hatches, watch Call The Midwife and enjoy the peace.

No church in my town accessible on Christmas Day, though I am going with friends on Christmas Eve to a carol service.

Boots7 Sun 02-Dec-18 15:15:19

My son said it was our turn to have his family to dinner on xmas day,then he changes his mind and said could we go to them and cook xmas dinner at his house,fine by me!Then his wife said she doesn't want me to be in her kitchen(mind you she can't cook!)so she will cook.Now my son has informed us that they want to spend xmas day on their own with their children and we can go and see them sometime over xmas if we want to!

Tooting29 Thu 01-Nov-18 05:49:17

If the weather is nice, pack a picnic, go to the nearest beach and enjoy.

franjess2000 Tue 23-Oct-18 11:28:55

Age UK run an 'Empty Seat' scheme at Xmas whereby if you have an empty seat, you have someone over to your house for Xmas dinner.

Might be an idea to fill the house so you and they are not alone.

We tend to have all our friends who would otherwise be alone over on Xmas day. Might be worth asking if anyone else is in the same boat and wants to share a bottle of wine!

MeltingMacaron Wed 10-Oct-18 12:25:16

Last year, I joined a local Ramblers group for a morning walk. People I have never met before or since but a pleasant bunch of people also finding themselves alone on Christmas morning for a variety of reasons. We went to the pub afterwards which was busy and festive.

In the afternoon, I did some phone volunteering through a community agent scheme, calling people for a chat.

The evening was my own for a quiet meal and a favourite movie.

A couple of years ago a friend and I hired a church hall and kitchen and cooked lunch for fifty people. We had other volunteers to help us. It was fun but also very hard work in the planning as well as the execution. I’d help again on this kind of thing but only if it someone else did the organisation.

jeanie99 Wed 10-Oct-18 10:22:10

Hubby and daughter have done voluntary work Christmas day with the Salvation Army you could try this or another charitably institutions. An extra pair of hands will always be welcome at Christmas.
This will be our first Christmas on our own this year also but we are a couple.
I'm sure you will have a lovely time.

grassgreen Wed 10-Oct-18 06:01:18

Goodness, you have been busy with suggestions for me! Your comments have made me realise how many options I have and also possibilities for doing things at other times of the year.

My favourites so far are singing - perhaps I should join a choir which would link me into that world. Also housesitting or looking after an animal. I'd previously considered offering my service to the Cinnamon Trust as a dog walker so this might be the push I need to get that into place. Having a Waitrose delivery of special goodies also sounds tempting.

Bridgeit Tue 09-Oct-18 16:33:01

Ahh that’s really nice to read Elrel. Although situations can be very difficult at times, if we try to look on the bright side & seek out an alternative outlook it does help, in my case at one time , I really enjoyed the unlimited vodka,until the next day ! ??

dorcas1950 Tue 09-Oct-18 16:30:07

Spangles, that was meant to be a happy laugh not a scary grimace!

dorcas1950 Tue 09-Oct-18 16:28:50

Spangles ?

Elrel Tue 09-Oct-18 16:27:41

Bridgeit - A few years ago DS was worried I'd be on my own for part of Christmas Day. He had separated that year. He came with his toddler on Christmas Eve so I had all the fun of bedtime and stockings in the morning. We cooked a traditional dinner Then they went off to spend the rest of the day with his ex and family.
I curled up in my comfy chair with a film I was keen to watch, wine and chocolates. Nothing for DS to feel guilty about although I don't think he believed me!

Mabel2 Tue 09-Oct-18 14:25:56

Grammaretto, most shops are open Christmas eve and boxing day so nowadays there is no need whatsoever to stock up ridiculous amounts of food.

Grammaretto Mon 08-Oct-18 22:32:47

Make sure you have supplies in to last when shops are shut after Christmas. We set off to drive to our DS but the car broke down late on C eve so we had to return home and buy Christmas food from the only shop open. It was reduced for quick sale so that was nice.
A walk is always a good idea and a good book. Sounds perfect.

sodapop Mon 08-Oct-18 20:57:44

That's definitely my sort of holiday Eglantine penguin are so funny and lovable. No sunbathing by the pool for me thank you.

Eglantine21 Mon 08-Oct-18 20:43:35

???

This is what I learnt

Penguins are so funny.

If you sit down on the ground they will come to you and talk to you.

If you leave your camera on the ground they will pick it up and run off with it.

If they fall over accidentally (all the time honestly) they will jump up and look around to make sure nobody noticed.

If one penguin is going downhill and meets another penguin coming up he will turn round and go uphill and not notice he is going the other way.

When a penguin jumps onto a floating bit of ice he lands on his tummy, slides all the way across and back into the water with a surprised look on his face. He will do this several times.

Penguin poo is pink and out of the water penguins are black and pink and very, very smelly.

And if I had another £10,000 I would go and watch them all over again.

???

Hm999 Mon 08-Oct-18 20:15:44

Sorry to sound like an old grump, but I love Christmas Day on my own. A box set, my favourite food, a bottle of something nice, being in charge of the remote. There's a lot to be said for it.

Blackcat3 Mon 08-Oct-18 18:53:03

Lucky you! Sounds like bliss, but if you wanted to be out and about the volunteering suggestions are good....personally I favour good food, a log fire, a few good films, a book and a bottle of something fizzy!

muffinthemoo Mon 08-Oct-18 18:32:42

We want the penguin stories!!! ???

Spangles1963 Mon 08-Oct-18 17:58:12

I had my first Christmas day alone last year,for various reasons. I just decided to make the most of a day by myself, doing exactly as I pleased. I made sure I had some lovely food and wine in. I had a nice lie-in,then watched TV with a glass bottle of wine. Then I had my dinner and watched some more TV and had more wine. It was a very enjoyable day,with no pressure to be anywhere at a certain time,and no one else to worry about. And I had Boxing day to look forward to with my daughter and granddaughter,and a proper Christmas dinner.

Overthehills Mon 08-Oct-18 17:00:39

Oh pretty please Eglantine, I’d love to hear all about Antarctica - appeals to me far more than hotter climes!

Bridgeit Mon 08-Oct-18 16:41:59

Any hotels nearby with spa & sauna facilities available.
One of the Christmases I spent alone , I watched a favourite film , with champagne & all the nibbly extravagant foods that I like etc.
I have to say I really enjoyed it. Best wishes for what ever you decide ??