Gransnet forums

AIBU

Marks & Spencer’s selling Hijabs for young children.

(108 Posts)
Bridgeit Fri 12-Oct-18 10:10:06

As in the title M& S are selling Hijabs for children , including for 3year olds.
Any thoughts ?

Bridgeit Thu 18-Oct-18 19:31:39

And it seems we are daft enough to let them.

oldgimmer1 Thu 18-Oct-18 18:50:46

Errr...MandS is a business...cashing in is what they do..hmm

Bridgeit Thu 18-Oct-18 11:36:12

For 3yr olds ( that would be playschool) ?
which M& S are cashing in on.

DIL17 Thu 18-Oct-18 10:08:57

Bit late to this as only just saw it.

M&S stated that there were quite a few school it caters for that highlight a need for them.

The truth is, whether we think it's appropriate or not, the UK has become a very multicultural society and have decided that we will respect each others choice and religions (unlike some other countries) and with that comes products like this.

If their religion insists or offers them this choice to wear one, then that's their choice. M&S are simply aiding their customers wishes who have highlighted a need for this product.

Bridgeit Wed 17-Oct-18 20:27:33

It would seem that clothing of young girls ( it’s always aimed at the girls isn’t it) are giving out the same message in polar opposite ways, one section dress their girls in mini me sexualised clothes, the other inflicts a puritanical sexuality connotation. And companies are making money out of both. It’s a bit like the egg & the chicken as to which came first. A lot of us grew up at a time when clothes suited the weather, the heating or lack of, the cost & durability. Not to mention the hand- me downs, & repair the & make do’s.

Iam64 Wed 17-Oct-18 12:30:09

Exactly trisher - not to mention the pole dancing parties for primary school children, well that would be girls rather than 'children' wouldn't it.

I don't understand why feminisms is seen as a problem on this issue. Am I missing something.

trisher Wed 17-Oct-18 10:32:06

Riverwalk having seen primary school children in such tops (and don't mention the school disco where the 9 year olds had to be seen to be believed) I can tell you that you would have a parental rebellion on your hands if you tried to ban them. But both they and the hijab project parental beliefs onto children, one is culturally accepted and one isn't.

Mycatisahacker Tue 16-Oct-18 23:55:15

I think this thread illustrates that feminism is tricky.

So ignoring the under 16s do I feel uncomfortable seeing women in burkas? Yes I do. Totally.

I find it offensive, mysogynistic and depressing But have I a right to tell other women how to dress??

My whole soul says no but a part of me says in Britain it’s unacceptable to see women so marginalised and covered for no
Good reason whilst the men and boys wear shorts and western dress.

It’s either complicated or bloody simple. I hope that makes sense to some of you. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 16-Oct-18 20:14:19

"Proper Little Madam in training" ?
I think that has taken on a new meaning from the Clark's shoes advert hmm

Jalima1108 Tue 16-Oct-18 20:12:36

Jalima - who's "supposed" to cover up?
confused - those whom are told to I presume. Check it out.
Others may choose to.

trisher wasn't there a case not long ago about a female employee in this country who was told to dress in high heeled shoes?

Just googled it; here is the link
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36264229

Riverwalk Tue 16-Oct-18 20:12:30

trisher if I were the banning Tsar, well yes I would ban young girls from wearing such skimpy tops. What's the relevance of your question?

trisher Tue 16-Oct-18 19:59:44

Riverwalk would you ban girls in primary schools from wearing on non-uniform days skimpy tops with sometimes slogans on the front like "WAG in training" or "Proper Little Madam in training" ?

Riverwalk Tue 16-Oct-18 19:37:33

I say this every time we have such a thread - I lived in Saudi Arabia for six months and even there young girls did not wear hijabs, or any sort of covering. Until their teens girls were in typical Western garb i.e. jeans, dresses, sparkly tops, etc.

I don't give a toss if grown women in the UK choose to wear the niqab or go half naked, but do strongly object to very young girls being paraded in hijabs.

They should be banned in primary schools.

A generation ago it was unusual to see a Muslim woman in as much as a headscarf, now their granddaughters are in hijabs.

maddyone Tue 16-Oct-18 18:51:18

Shopping in pyjamas, that’s a whole new thread Iam64 grin

Iam64 Tue 16-Oct-18 18:29:45

Notanan, the issue is parents who dress their children in a way that sends a clear message to others, what their belief systems are. Hijabs in one group, crop tops and sexualised slogans in another.
It’s ibevitable, we all impose our clothes choices on small children. I’m not comfortable with whole body covering for women or girls. Can’t say I like the sexualised slogans on adults or children, don’t get me started on shopping in pyjamas

trisher Tue 16-Oct-18 18:26:49

But notanan if you are feeling threatened and constantly hearing abuse about your religion, and then you see clothes for young children which sexualise them (and there is no doubt some outfits do) your response might be to protect your younger girls as well.

notanan2 Tue 16-Oct-18 16:02:00

I wonder if this confirms my suspicion that the increase in young women wearing more traditional conservative clothing is in solidarity with faith, race and culture.

Post puberty, yes that is likely.
Small girls? No.

Mycatisahacker Tue 16-Oct-18 13:59:01

You might be right I was probably overreacting but I to yearn for the days when kids could be kids. Especially girls.

Growing up as a 60s/70s kid we wore jeans and shorts with the occasional dress grin

I feel a bit sad to see under tens in either head scarfs or crop tops. Just seems sad to me

trisher Tue 16-Oct-18 13:35:44

I think that is probably a good reason Iam64 . It is shocking to see these figures. I feel so sorry for Muslims trying to go on with their every day lives.

Iam64 Tue 16-Oct-18 13:18:11

Latest figures show an increase in hate crime, with 52% of hate crimes directed against Muslims. I wonder if this confirms my suspicion that the increase in young women wearing more traditional conservative clothing is in solidarity with faith, race and culture.

trisher Mon 15-Oct-18 12:29:22

Interesting isn't it. I know of someone quite high up in the legal profession who was working for an American company, she left when it was suggested at her annual review that she might "sex up" her conservative dress style. Perhaps that's why some women choose to cover up.

oldgimmer1 Mon 15-Oct-18 12:07:48

PECS that programme was interesting, wasn't it?

Headscarfed Palestinian woman amongst a bunch of Palestinian men in Gaza - and very much in charge!

Jalima - who's "supposed" to cover up?

If I told my daughter that she was "supposed" to cover up for fear of looking sexual in the eyes of men she'd tell me, perhaps quite rightly, that, in the UK she is perfectly entitled to dress how she pleases.....

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Oct-18 10:07:40

Sexualisation is in the eye of the beholder.
Precisely, that's why young girls and women are supposed to cover up

oldgimmer1 Mon 15-Oct-18 09:57:38

Wow mycat....overreacting just a bit??

Sexualisation is in the eye of the beholder.

I used to wear hotpants and knee high boots as a 10 year old, according to fashion.

I come from a conservative, Welsh Methodist family.

Sexualisation, or harmless following of a fashion trend?

PECS Mon 15-Oct-18 09:57:12

Haha! My experience of Palestinian women is not one of oppression within the family!