Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cars

(10 Posts)
ninathenana Tue 30-Oct-18 10:03:52

AIBU to expect the car that DD bought on Saturday with MOT until Oct '19 would actually start this morning angry
Private sale so no come back but she had a mechanic with her who checked it over and test drove it.
I know MOT is no guarantee but I'm so sorry for her, she really doesn't have any luck.
Just needed to rant.

J52 Tue 30-Oct-18 10:09:30

Hopefully it’s something simple, could be the cold weather.

MawBroon Tue 30-Oct-18 10:11:48

It may just need a new battery, they will take recharging only so often before they just need replacing.
Alternatively there may be an electrical fault which has flattened the battery or something left on like the radio or an interior light.
Good luck!

ninathenana Tue 30-Oct-18 10:34:08

Not the battery as it is turning over but not sparking.
Fingers crossed a plug or simple fix.
Thanks Maw

stree Tue 30-Oct-18 11:51:40

First call is on the test mechanic.
Level of ignition problem depends on car make and model.
Changing plugs will not help if no spark either.
Get make and model, google common problems for it, find owners forum for it.

merlotgran Tue 30-Oct-18 12:21:20

Always a good idea to have AA home start or similar. They have all the necessary testing gear.

Telly Tue 30-Oct-18 14:02:18

Feel sorry for her, we can all slip up no matter how careful we are. Let's hope it can be sorted out easily.

ninathenana Tue 30-Oct-18 15:13:55

Merlot she has but with 45 mins to get to work this morning, she had no time to sort it out.
Thanks for all suggestions, I was in need of a rant this morning. You don't expect a car you've had 3 days to give you trouble.

callgirl1 Tue 30-Oct-18 17:27:43

We once had one break down about 30 minutes after picking it up from the place where we bought it. Rang them and they sent someone out with a replacement till it was fixed, all well and good, but the car we bought was a Vectra estate, the replacement was a Nissan Note, tiny, and we were on the way to the airport to pick up 3 people and luggage! It was a tight squeeze.

Mycatisahacker Thu 01-Nov-18 08:53:23

Aw that’s very annoying your poor dd. Hope it gets sorted and rant away