Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think this is just not acceptable (NHS related)

(147 Posts)
maryeliza54 Thu 08-Nov-18 13:33:44

British woman of 50 with three grown up children and several grandchildren goes to Cyprus for IVF. Comes home and has quads all delivered and( currently) in SCBU ( costs well over £1000 pd per baby) all on NHS. Sarah M on World at One described story as heartwarming - I am speechless.

Anniebach Fri 09-Nov-18 08:32:18

It was said yesterday this woman has eight grandchildren

TwiceAsNice Fri 09-Nov-18 08:43:15

My daughter in her early thirties had twins with her first pregnancy. As beautiful as they were it was such hard work for her. I don't think she'd have managed without all the help she had from me and her sister, and this woman is twenty years older and with double the babies she must be mad! She is selfish but I agree that there should be more realistic cut off points for all countries for older mothers having IVF. It is more risky and these children will probably end up losing their mother at a younger age which is sad for them.

harrigran Fri 09-Nov-18 09:18:05

The sense of entitlement is unbelievable, she has had children she has GC, why can she not just be thankful for what she has.
Heartwarming it is not, blood boiling is a better description.

Grampie Fri 09-Nov-18 10:12:22

My GP's office has an official poster explaining that Brits returning from living overseas are not entitled to NHS treatment free at the point of delivery until they have lived in the UK for 3 months.

Again, lazy or half-hearted journalism means that we need more facts.

sarahcyn Fri 09-Nov-18 10:24:56

Why does anyone need to have 7 children? I speak as a loving mum of four...

tickingbird Fri 09-Nov-18 10:27:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Brismum Fri 09-Nov-18 10:29:34

Is World at One BBC. I don’t think so!

GreenGran78 Fri 09-Nov-18 10:37:54

EllenVannin We have a reciprical arrangement about medical care with Australia. My husband had a stroke while we were visiting family there. Although he had insurance he had 6 weeks of excellent free care in the local hospital. The only charge was $100 for the ambulance, and the cost of some medication to cover his trip home. The insurance company flew out a nurse to accompany him home, and upgraded him to first class, but got off very lightly with the hospital bill.

123coco Fri 09-Nov-18 10:39:02

How very sad to hear so much negative feedback on this story. And the headline of greedy entitlement is just awful. If you were talking about the likes of Boris Johnson etc that would be fine like all the Grace and favours benefits et cet, but to use That’s term on a woman , who for all you know has never had to call on the NHS for anything before, and has paid national insurance all her life is a bit harsh . Someone who wasn’t able to have children and therefore no grandchildren either after my initial feelings of envy I just felt very pleased for her and couldn’t help thinking how lucky she was . It is always people who have children who moan about things like this . If she hadn’t have had all the eggs implanted she may have ended up with no baby. Why not just see this is as a miracle, which it was , and see it is a feelgood story . I am sure there are much greater things in the news to moan about today !!!

jenwren Fri 09-Nov-18 10:42:25

Just one word Selfish!

harrysgran Fri 09-Nov-18 10:45:36

It definitely wouldn't be for everyone but the babies will be brought up by her and she's the one that has taken the health risks .Men carry on becoming fathers into their 60s and 70s and are congratulated and given a pat on the back especially if they are a celebrity it does seem unfair that if it's an older mother the total opposite happens.However I do agree she should be paying for her care especially due to the cuts in our NHS

sylviann Fri 09-Nov-18 10:50:42

At the age of 50 I would not have wanted to cope with one new born never mind 4

paddyann Fri 09-Nov-18 10:55:22

I would have had a baby in my 50's if It were possible ,sadly I was told after my last that another would kill me.As for her maybe not living long well my dads mum died when he was 12 she left 4 children behind who were split up and put in childrens homes .
Death can happen at any age ,my late(other) GM was 45 when her youngest was born ,that daughter died at 45 ,6 weeks before my granny.People on here are very judgemental .If its not something that would suit you then don't do it ,otherwise 4 wee babies aren't going to impact your life .I hope she lives a long life and enjoys every day .I would !

paddyann Fri 09-Nov-18 10:56:45

Dads mum died at 41

paddyann Fri 09-Nov-18 11:02:31

sarahcyn as Jacob Reese Mogg ..he has 6 who knows he may add to that .Will you be as judgemental over him?

Tillygumbo Fri 09-Nov-18 11:13:50

Totally selfish woman. No 'feel good' side to it as far as I can see.

AlieOxon Fri 09-Nov-18 11:16:03

I would be judgemental about Reese Mogg. 6 or 7 children is TOO MANY.

Thank you M0nica, I entirely agree with you....

LJP1 Fri 09-Nov-18 11:20:35

What about the obese people with diabetes type 2? That is almost always a lifestyle choice.

Aepgirl Fri 09-Nov-18 11:23:47

Why would a woman of 50 want more children?

starbird Fri 09-Nov-18 11:25:47

I know the lady paid for the IVF but I think that if NHS did as some other European countries do and make a charge, however small, for anything other than routine care, then perhaps most people will think through their lifestyle and decisions a bit more responsibly. I think she only wanted one baby and I suppose they implanted four embryos as a backup, but it seems irresponsible of the docors to have done so. Looking after four babies/ children is a very different experience to having one at any age, let alone 50.
I think she will struggle and feel sorry for her, but the babies are here now and that’s it.

quizqueen Fri 09-Nov-18 11:31:04

This woman has indeed behaved irresponsibly by producing more children at the age of 50 when she already had three and the doctors in Cyprus should be criticised. I agree, child benefit and other associated benefits attached to Universal Credit should be for the first two children only. In fact, I'd like to see an extra tax on people who choose to have more than two children to offset against the toll on the UK resources and the planet in general. People should only have as many children as they afford and not expect subsidies from the state paid for by people's taxes.

Urmstongran Fri 09-Nov-18 11:42:58

When you think about it people have procedures and operations and if anything goes wrong as an emergency afterwards, then the NHS A&E department is where they head to. The private hospitals don’t provide that service do they!

Urmstongran Fri 09-Nov-18 11:44:25

Sort for unclear post just now! I meant to say ‘people have procedures and operations PRIVATELY all the time’

Urmstongran Fri 09-Nov-18 11:45:11

Meant.... Sorry! Oh dear I think I’ll just read today and not post!

jenpax Fri 09-Nov-18 11:57:54

I can’t imagine being a mother again at 50! Urgh I found it exhausting enough helping co parent one grandchild who was born when I was mid 40’s.
I love being a grandparent but
now that I am early 50’s parenting little ones again is the last thing on my wish list. I am off to a spa this weekend for a lovely grown up treat! ??‍♀️