Gransnet forums

AIBU

What irritates you?

(226 Posts)
NanKate Tue 13-Nov-18 21:45:30

I can be heard shouting at the TV when actors hold cups/mugs around the outside instead of using the handle properly.

Hugging a cushion elicits the same reaction from me.

NanKate Fri 21-Dec-18 07:32:55

Watching a cookery programme where the invited guests, all with Michelin stars, at the end of the meal leave their cutlery all over the place - horizontal, or knife on left and fork on right. ?

As a child my parents were sticklers for good table manners, so it has stayed with me. I know I’m old fashioned.

absent Fri 21-Dec-18 05:04:28

Gransnet postings sometimes.

H1954 Fri 21-Dec-18 02:07:42

People, of all ages but mainly elderly ( and I'm no spring chicken either), who do not acknowledge you when you either hold a door open, step out the way in a crowd etc! Flaming ignorant............I usually respond to their ignorance with a rather loud " that will be thank you then"!

farview Mon 17-Dec-18 15:17:13

At the moment...Bloody everything!!!?

Tooglamtogiveadamn Sun 16-Dec-18 13:39:05

People loudly chewing with their mouths hanging open! Boak ?

Emmaline Sat 01-Dec-18 14:16:59

IMO .. IYKWIM .. It's laziness! grin

Rosieroe Sat 01-Dec-18 12:22:44

‘that’ life...

Rosieroe Sat 01-Dec-18 12:22:02

Oh - and the overuse of acronyms. Is it to give the impression the life is too busy for the intelligentsia to use complete words? I’ve just started reading a book I borrowed from the library and four pages in I’m baffled by acronyms. Everything needs to have a glossary attached these days so we plebs can understand what’s going on.

Rosieroe Sat 01-Dec-18 12:07:34

Slurping when drinking hot drinks. Please just tip the cup or mug so the liquid doesn’t have to be sucked in. Or use a straw!

Witzend Sat 01-Dec-18 11:02:40

farnorth, your comment about your granny and hair did amuse me. My mother had a real 'thing" about that long, messy-curly sort of hair. Whenever she saw anyone with it, she'd say, 'That hair!'
Long after she's no longer with us, it's still a family joke.

blackiyto Fri 30-Nov-18 22:44:09

People talking loudly on their phones in public irritates me. discord.software/
downloader.vip/adobe-reader/
downloader.vip/itunes/

felice Fri 30-Nov-18 16:28:44

New heating boiler delivered on Monday, i have DBF and his partner coming to visit today for the weekend, partners first visit, first time meeting him.
Garden room is already full of stuff from the boiler room, new boiler there too.
Sooooo SO comes for lunch with a huge box of tools and plans to open all the boxes for the new heating system just to see if it fits!!! As he is going away with his DS and family next week it will just sit here.
Which also means taking packaging apart etc.
I totally lost it,,,,,
I am in constant pain with this blasted knee, stressed as still trying to get things sorted out with the lawyer dealing with my Mothers estate, and he wanted to put a whole lot of BOILER all over the placeangry.
Sorry for the rant but feel much better now, oh and my cheese sauce for the Cauliflower cheese for dinner tonight has split...........

TerriBull Fri 30-Nov-18 14:12:09

A bit of a loaded question!

Cycle trailers - a sort of wagon for placing one's tiny tots, absolutely fine in Center Parcs, all lovely because once you've unloaded the car on arrival and loaded it up again on departure, it's a car free area for the duration of one's stay.

However, back in the planet of "everyday life" they're mad! Firstly, the little passengers are being subjected to car fumes, particularly diesel. Secondly, get stuck behind one and the traffic tail back can be considerable. Increasingly seem to be seeing quite a few "yummy mummy" types transport their offspring to and from wherever at peak rush hour times with a line of frustrated motorists behind them hmm they come across as rather self indulgent to me.

Witzend Fri 30-Nov-18 10:04:33

People saying 'train station' instead of just 'station'.

Unless you meant a bus station, in which case you said that, or a Tube/Underground/Metro, which you said ditto, it was always just 'station' for overground trains.

NanKate Thu 29-Nov-18 16:09:15

I am sick to death of MeTime. Of course most females want sometime off from a busy home or work life, but the pendulum seems to have swung towards selfishness, putting themselves in front of the children and family, over indulgence etc.

When I was a young mum I realised that my family would take top priority but once our DS had flown the nest we could indulge in some UsTime.

I think my mother or grandmother had little MeTime, lacking time and money. My grandmother's MeTime was listening to Mrs. Dale's Diary every day.

However, I am with women all the way who stand up against sexual harassment, they are brave and have a battle to fight.

Washerwoman Thu 29-Nov-18 08:58:46

Currently it's outside Xmas lights that are excessive and out up far too early.Can't anyone wait for anything anymore?If someone wants their tree up weeks before in their own house that's their choice,but inflicting fashing blue lights on everyone else for weeks is inconsidrate IMO.My DGD has her first advent calendar and is desperate to start opening it but is learning the valuable lesson of patience.
Not to mention the environmental cost and the havoc it just cause to wildlife,already under pressure from light pollution.

Rutheleanor Wed 28-Nov-18 18:08:54

When it has been raining and I tread on a loose paving stone and water whooshes up my trouser leg!

Atqui Fri 23-Nov-18 18:15:38

Used mugs put on the worktop above the dishwasher instead of IN it

Brunette10 Fri 23-Nov-18 17:11:54

People parking in Mother and Child bays with NO children with them. Ugh!

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Nov-18 16:34:01

Getting through to the surgery, finding I'm in a queue then hearing the same annoying bar(s) of music over and over and over …..

Grammaretto Fri 23-Nov-18 14:21:10

Luckygirl I agree. Our GP told us patients in the queue could overhear consultations which was why they do it.
Being kept on hold for a "couple of seconds" while bombarded with hoŕibke music.
What is it with this 2 seconds? Why don't they just tell you where you are in the queue.

Luckygirl Fri 23-Nov-18 13:32:53

Muzak in doctor's/dentist's surgeries - it does my head in and makes me feel ill!!!

Waidde53 Fri 23-Nov-18 13:22:18

:D
hi,
this moment irritates me, also. I was talking to some nice people, and also at the end of any sentence they used to say: you know what I mean (and I was standing there and thinking all the time what are they really talking about :D).
not so nice,

BBbevan Wed 21-Nov-18 11:14:45

My hair was exactly like Sandy Shaw's in the 60's . Silver now but still a bob and long fringe.

FarNorth Wed 21-Nov-18 09:43:06

Claudia Winkelman's fringe - just as Sandie Shaw's fringe annoyed my Granny, who often exclaimed how much she hoped I would never get such a style. (which I didn't want to do, anyway)