Gransnet forums

AIBU

discourteous driving

(67 Posts)
PECS Thu 15-Nov-18 10:20:17

Coming home after a governing board meeting at the local school last night about 9:45 I was approaching the turn into the close where I live. The road I was on is narrow and when fully parked up ( one side only) only has room for one car...me! As I approached my turning a car appeared coming towards me. Instead of stopping just before the road junction so that I could turn in the carcontinued so we were both in the narrow part hmm I could tell he was determined I should reverse the length of 7/8 cars to the next possible space to pass. He could have reversed 2 car lengths to the space behind him that he had just driven across.

As I started reversing he moved forward and kept pace with me. I then scraped a parked car.angry My fault but I am so angry as it was all avoidable.

He then had the nerve to shout 'you just hit a car!' He was a young, well spoken guy about 20 ish. When I said that I knew I had and how discourteous his driving was he started shouting it was not his fault. I said, calmly that I was responsible for my driving but he was responsible for his which was selfish and unhelpful. By this time a queue of cars were behind him so he squeezed by and the other cars waited so I could get home! I wish I had taken his number now!
I have left a message on the windscreen of the car I scraped but nobody has called or arrived yet !

Fennel Mon 19-Nov-18 19:42:15

Well done Happys .

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Nov-18 19:31:27

Not only aggressive but sexist and ageist as well Happys!
I'm glad you made him back down.

Happysexagenarian Mon 19-Nov-18 17:44:12

Something similar happened to me last year. No parked cars, just a narrow winding unlit country road with very few passing places. I could see a passing place on the opposite side of the road just a few yards behind the approaching vehicle. We both stopped and the other driver started making hand gestures indicating that I should back up. It was at least a quarter of a mile back to a passing place on my side. There was no way I was going to reverse along that road in fading light, too many bends and dangerous for any vehicle behind me. I leaned out the window and called "No, would you back up please". He just sat there revving his engine. I rolled up my windows, locked the doors, turned my engine off and sat there with my arms folded. He got out angrily and started hammering on my window. I pointed out to him that there was a passing place just behind him and it would save us both a lot of time if he reversed into it. He shouted a lot of abuse about elderly women drivers while tugging on my door handle, so I took out a pen and paper and scribbled down his registration number. He watched me and then stomped back to his car and reversed at speed into the space - and smashed his nearside rear light on the bank! I drove past quickly and left him there. I was a bit worried he might turn and follow me but he didn't. My DH told me off for getting into a potentially dangerous situation on a lonely road, but agreed that the other driver should have reversed.

Regardless of what the Highway Code might say I do think common sense and courtesy should prevail sometimes. I just hope I don't meet him on that road again.

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Nov-18 23:48:07

then there are the drivers who do a steady 40 mph all the way and don't slow down to go through the villages where it's 30mph …..

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Nov-18 23:47:10

The 4by4 driver shouldn’t be tailgating but she would have been wondering what you were doing. She would not have necessary known who was driving the car in front of her and may have been scared. I would be cross if I was behind you too
I know the road well, it's a very winding main road and I know how fast to drive safely. Sometimes I get caught behind someone doing about 28 - 30 mph but I don't tailgate them, if you slow down on the one straighter stretch then most drivers would realise you're being courteous and allowing them to overtake.

Momof3 Sat 17-Nov-18 23:41:56

Great intimidation confused

Momof3 Sat 17-Nov-18 23:40:59

Ok without knowing the speed limit of the road, you should be travelling at the speed limit of the road and the weather conditions. The 4by4 driver shouldn’t be tailgating but she would have been wondering what you were doing. She would not have necessary known who was driving the car in front of her and may have been scared. I would be cross if I was behind you too

petra Sat 17-Nov-18 15:57:44

Many years ago I lived in a little village called Tollesbury (in essex)
Driving home one night from Maldon a car came up behind me and stayed there for the 10 mile journey although there were several safe places for him to overtake.
As we came into the village I pulled over at the curb so he had to overtake me.
Then, I followed him to see where he lived (small village)
Then went home, told OH. Job done. He wasn't going to do that again to me. Not if he wanted to walk again ?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Nov-18 15:51:19

I still feel intimidated when someone does that to me, so would not dream of doing it to someone else. ?

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Nov-18 15:48:40

frightening, aren't they!
Stay with us
don't tailgate me though, I only have a little car wink

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Nov-18 15:34:16

The "interesting" side of 60' sz10 and 5'2" - please do not banish me to the dark side (mumsnett) they can be truly scary????????

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Nov-18 15:15:33

grin grin grin
How old are you? Are you a Yummy Mummy, 5' 9" and size 8?
GrannyGravy? In which case, off you go to Mumsnet wink

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Nov-18 14:12:47

Oh dear, I am blonde, short and drive a big 4 X 4, can I still be in gransnett?

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Nov-18 13:20:36

I think I posted on another thread that I was going along a winding main road at a reasonable speed and someone in a 4x4 was tailgating me and making me quite nervous; there was nowhere to pull in. When we got to a straight stretch I could see the road ahead was clear so I indicated to the left and slowed down so the driver could overtake but I could see in my rear view mirror that she was waving her arms then shaking her fist at me instead of overtaking!
Presumably as she didn't know what my intention was she had no clue about considerate driving herself.
She then continued tailgating me.

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Nov-18 13:16:22

However, as the control means that the distance between my car and the vehicle in front is greater than many drivers would allow, on motorways, dual carriageways etc I constantly have other drivers "cutting in between" my car and the vehicle forward of me.
Grandad DH always keeps a safe distance on the motorway (as do I) and it is always extremely annoying when that happens - and quite dangerous.

Davidhs Sat 17-Nov-18 07:11:59

Idiot cyclists. Last year in Yorkshire with a caravan on tow I overtook a guy on a bike on a long straight section then came to a T junction. I was turning left and had left about a foot width between the caravan and kerb, he actually tried to get past me on the inside, and fell off.

There really should be a formal riding test for cyclists and insurance too.

grumppa Sat 17-Nov-18 00:36:01

I do most of my driving on crowded and narrow London suburban roads, and while there are quite a few discourteous idiots, in my experience the majority of drivers are polite and understanding.

But don't get me started on idiot cyclists, and pedestrians who never look before stepping into the road, apparently believing that modern technology had done away with braking distances.

PECS Fri 16-Nov-18 21:08:19

Have I offended you manda? If so a) it was unintended & b) sorry if I did.

Grandad1943 Fri 16-Nov-18 20:52:53

Apologies, in my previous post I should have stated that the above system is known as Forward collision/Adaptive cruise control to give it the full title.

There is difference to single aspect forward collision control.

Grandad1943 Fri 16-Nov-18 20:32:32

I get a new car each year through the company, and the last two have come with forward collision and lane change control. Forward collision control keeps my vehicle at a safe braking distance from the vehicle in front no matter what speed you are travelling at.

However, as the control means that the distance between my car and the vehicle in front is greater than many drivers would allow, on motorways, dual carriageways etc I constantly have other drivers "cutting in between" my car and the vehicle forward of me.

The above is especially prevalent on the approach to junctions were drivers on an outside lane will "cut through the gap" often well short of any safe distance from the intersection to carry out such a manoeuvre.

The above can be infuriating, and others in the office that have forward collision control fitted on their cars have disabled the function due to annoyance. However, I have kept the function switched on as I feel it does keep me and other reasonable road users in a line of fast travelling vehicles safer in general everyday use.

The above stated I do observe that those that carry out the above hazardous manoeuvres are both male and female drivers in all age groups and not just the young

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Nov-18 19:48:17

confused

Manda Fri 16-Nov-18 18:52:41

And yet you're comfortable with being pretty offensive yourself!

PECS Fri 16-Nov-18 18:06:40

There are some incredibly arrogant and very rude people in all walks & roads of life!
Someone messaged me because they thought I was "showing off" by mentioning where I had been b4 my altercation. That was not my intention..just wanted to point out I had not been out socially..so not drink driving!! The person assumed I was a governor but of course other people attend Governing Body meetings.wink

Grandmarnia Fri 16-Nov-18 17:40:36

I drove into a car park which had a narrow driveway and a one way system. A woman reversed out in front of me (had obviously not looked for other cars) and then started beeping at me to reverse out of the car park onto a busy road so she could drive the wrong way out of the car park. I calmly got out my car and told her I was not moving and she needed to drive back into her space, let me pass and then she could drive out illegally if she wanted. I got a load of verbal abuse with her saying she always drives out the same way she came in and I had blocked her in. I sat in my car and then another car came in behind me and was half in the car park and half on the road, so the road too was at a standstill and lots of cars beeping. This woman was beeping at me to reverse! A farce.
I again got out of my car and started to take photos of her car and the 'one-way' sign and she then drove at me!
I spoke to the driver behind me and went into the surgery to apologise I would be late for my appointment and advised why. The practice manager came out and spoke to the woman who then moved her car back into the space.
I parked, walked back to the reception to witness the woman having the same battle with another car!
She obviously knew best!

minxie Fri 16-Nov-18 17:37:37

In that situation if I’m in the right, handbrake goes on and there I stay for exactly the reason you discribed. Hitting a car