Gransnet forums

AIBU

Kick a Ginger day

(127 Posts)
Greenfinch Tue 20-Nov-18 17:41:07

I was absolutely appalled when my 11 year old DGD came home from school saying that children had been going round kicking anyone with ginger hair in school today. One boy was too scared to come to school and another had a panic attack in a lesson. Apparently it is a recognised day ,yet another import from America and one more example of the evils of the internet .I think teachers and parents need to be more aware so that it can be banned next year as a date has already been set .I feel powerless but feel sorry for all ginger haired children tonight. Some will be going to bed very unhappy. All so unnecessary and perverse

MawBroon Sat 08-Dec-18 20:41:28

I used to spend a lot of money to achieve a hair colour close to that of my gorgeous 7 year old grandson.
I hate this US inspired (or English?) discrimination against redheads.
Growing up in Scotland there were always two or more redheads in my class or year at school.

Annaram1 Sat 08-Dec-18 20:03:30

I am naturally a ginger and was always proud of it. I thought my hair was beautiful and so did a lot of other people. However now I am in my 70s the red seems to have faded and now I am blonde. Not grey yet though!!!

Elegran Thu 29-Nov-18 11:47:34

There are people who must have someone to kick. If one category escapes their malice, they find another.

Greenfinch Thu 29-Nov-18 10:55:09

You are right Elegran.Ginger Beer was rhyming slang for Queer.

Greenfinch Thu 29-Nov-18 10:49:01

That's an interesting thought.

Elegran Wed 28-Nov-18 20:40:14

My memory may be at fault, but wasn't "ginger" used as a term for homosexual at one time? Are there perhaps echoes of homophobia in this "kick a ginger", which have been transmogrified into redhead-phobia now that being gay is accepted?

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Nov-18 20:13:43

'Simply Red' aka Mick Hucknall was on the television this evening.

Anyway real ginger is warm, stimulating, spicy and has therapeutic properties
I will tell DD smile - I'm sure she will agree!

Rufussmum Wed 28-Nov-18 19:12:17

As a proud, fiery redhead I am always amazed that we are the only minority group who are seen as fair game for abuse. Even TV 'comedians' think it's OK to use the word ginger as a term of teasing/joke material.
Anyway real ginger is warm, stimulating, spicy and has therapeutic properties - like me, in fact.
Redheads were viewed with suspicion and fear in ancient cultures and everyone knows that bullies are cowards at heart.

Fennel Sat 24-Nov-18 21:19:19

He looks a typical ginger - that expression!
Two of mine were a sort of ginger, like me, but not fiery redheads.

PECS Fri 23-Nov-18 16:33:46

it is still long and curly.. he is vey proud of both the colour and curls!

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Nov-18 16:13:34

That hair is just glorious

I have serious envy

My DD's hair and eyes were the same kind of toffee/copper colour when she was young, but I haven't seen her real hair colour for years sad

Greenfinch Fri 23-Nov-18 16:08:40

Tried to get on to the site but a message warning about no privacy came up.sad

PECS Fri 23-Nov-18 15:56:17

gingerparrot.co.uk/2016/01/ginger-junior-of-the-month-january-2016/ You have to embrace you ginger and be proud! This is a pic of my DGS2 winning Ginger Junior a few years ago! The Gaga mentioned in DH and the Mum my DD1 grin

MadeInYorkshire Fri 23-Nov-18 11:12:49

I believe the "kick a ginger" is a more recent import from the US, however I think it has always been an issue - I am/was a classic redhead with fair skin and freckles, AND glasses, so I was completely stuffed! I was called ELTON and various other names all the way through my later schooldays, and it doesn't really ever leave you unfortunately .....

Elrel Thu 22-Nov-18 17:52:37

This thread made me realise that I always say red hair.
Plenty of ginger in the kitchen, especially the biscuits but I've never seen red or auburn hair as ginger.

I first noticed the abusive negative use of ginger in a Mitchell and Webb show. Webb's character had a strong dislike of both 'gingers' and students so of course became involved with a red headed young woman student. At the time I thought it a ridiculous prejudice but since then abuse about hair colour seems to have become blatant.

Jalima1108 Thu 22-Nov-18 17:46:10

One of my DC was called various names over the years, but usually affectionately, such as 'ginge', 'coppernob' and also 'Duracell'.
She did learn to stand up for herself (and others) but this sounds a lot more vicious.

PECS Thu 22-Nov-18 16:05:48

gingerparrot.co.uk
Coming from a family of red heads we have never experienced any negative issues. Only my mother recounted being teased as a child (in the late 20/early 1930s) because of her hair. I am sorry if there are idiots out there who feel hair colour gives them an excuse to bully.

GrannyBeek Thu 22-Nov-18 08:17:05

It works! Isn’t it brilliant!

nanababs Thu 22-Nov-18 06:40:26

I really hope this works. Tim Minchin’s ‘Prejudice’ sums it up brilliantly.
youtu.be/KVN_0qvuhhw

GrannyBeek Wed 21-Nov-18 23:53:37

Never heard of this, and I find it horrific! Some in our family have a slight red tinge. My DIL is desperate for DGS (7 months) to have red hair. Reminds me of the (auburn-haired) Tim Minchin, who sings “Only a ginger, can call another ginger ginger”. Which is now my earworm!

notanan2 Wed 21-Nov-18 23:34:06

P.s. I find the brits far more anti red hair than Americans who are more likely in my experience to admire it than ridicule it. I think it goes back to a historical motivation to distance oneself from the nearby (inferior/pagan/drunken etc) celtic regions, a historical differential that wasnt such a motivator in the US.

notanan2 Wed 21-Nov-18 23:31:41

I think it counts as racism although it wouldnt fit current classifications because being a red head is associated with being of celtic decent, particularly scotish and Irish, and therefore worthy of riddicule.

trendygran Wed 21-Nov-18 23:27:08

My youngest granddaughter has ginger hair and has just started her first term at school. I hope she won’t be bullied and that this anti ginger behaviour will somehow come to an end. Where did it start ? Does anyone know? I don’ t remember my friend with ginger hair being bullied during our school days in the 50s and 60s. but zi guess it probably did happen.
I tell my daughter and son in law off ( as much as I dare) for calling her Ginge!!

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 22:42:19

If you can provide proof that such a day exists in Canada, I will be the first to apologise for taking umbrage.

You asked me to provide proof then when I did said:
You are quoting a 10year old FaceBook entry, a 7 year old Australian post, and all of this stems from a satirical 2005 adult TV show????

That was why the links were old - because this started years ago in America, presumably went over the border to Canada and now has arrived in the UK, you continued to take umbrage.

I know full well the difference between Canada and America thanks. I don't know anyone who does not.
I'm glad Canada is taking a stand against it. and hope it does not take off in the UK.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 19:43:09

I just hope this thread isn't either going to "Highlight" the apparently KAGD lets just hope it dissapears into the background without it hitting the Media as like some stuff on Gn does

bikergran It is worrying that, in trying to deny that this began with a cartoon in America, spread to Canada and now is over here in the UK, presumably spread by social media, it has been highlighted even more.

Perhaps by not hiding our heads in the sand and denying all knowledge that this has happened, is happening and could happen in the future, we can stop its spread.

Let's hope so.

I know that my red headed DC has been 'teased' over the years but not in a nasty way.