Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to be a bit cross with Tesco?

(23 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 23-Nov-18 20:32:21

I have never posted in AIBU before - it's quite exciting!!

I am catering for 17 at my DD's on Sunday - I offered so that is fine. I am doing a large beef, bacon and beer stew, and fish pie for me and my veggie GD. Ordered all the ingredients (+normal fortnightly shop and stuff for Xmas cake) to be delivered today from 6 pm - 7 pm.

It gets to 8.20 - and no Tesco order. So I phone Tesco, thinking that perhaps a vehicle had broken down somewhere. What do they tell me?........the driver ran out of time so he took the while lot back to the store!!!

Did they trouble to phone and let me know?.......No!

They have re-scheduled for 5 pm tomorrow - I was planning to do all the cooking during tomorrow afternoon, and to slow cook the beef. They are offering me £10 off the bill.

To be fair, this is the first time in many years of online shopping that Tesco have let me down. But........

AIBU to think they should have phoned and let me know?

Lynne59 Fri 23-Nov-18 20:36:05

That's very poor service. Yes, they should have told you.

Beau Fri 23-Nov-18 20:39:49

That's really bad - once years ago Waitrose had a problem but they still delivered to me - at 11.20 pm but on the right day!

FlexibleFriend Fri 23-Nov-18 20:41:42

Yes they should have phoned you, whenever they are going to arrive outside their allotted time slot they have always texted me to let me know, even if they are going to be about 30 minutes late.

Oakleaf Fri 23-Nov-18 20:45:37

Their T&C's say they should have called you. Also, they deliver until 11pm. I would call them again and insist they get a driver out to you this evening even if the store manager has to put the bags in the boot of his car and deliver them himself.

EllanVannin Fri 23-Nov-18 20:47:08

I'd have been fuming ( not that it would have done any good ) but that's the way I am. It's not Christmas yet so there's no excuse. A phone-call wouldn't have gone amiss either.

Lollin Fri 23-Nov-18 21:11:35

I agree with oakleaf I have experience of a department store where one of the managers actually drove to me with my order. Yes i was surprised and have continued to be a loyal customer and tell others about my positive experiences.

Soupy Fri 23-Nov-18 21:48:29

At the very least you need an early morning delivery tomorrow.
And a discount for the inconvenience!

Luckygirl Fri 23-Nov-18 22:35:37

I have sent an email of complaint to the CEO!

Blue45Sapphire Fri 23-Nov-18 22:43:12

That is appalling. Waitrose were half an hour late with mine once and arrived carrying a complimentary bottle of wine!

etheltbags1 Fri 23-Nov-18 23:00:09

Yes i would complain too

harrigran Sat 24-Nov-18 08:45:17

Definitely out of order, if he was at the end of his shift he could have passed it on to the next delivery.
I don't have much faith in stores after one Christmas order at M&S just got completely lost. DH turned up at 7am on Christmas eve to collect turkey and party food to be told they had no record of the order.

Scribbles Sat 24-Nov-18 13:19:12

YANBU. That's appallingly bad service and, in your position, I wouldn't give them the opportunity to do it again. Other online supermarkets are available.

About 3 years ago, close to Christmas, my (then) local Waitrose had a problem with a broken-down van and/or a shortage of drivers (I forget which now) and kept me regularly updated with phone calls. My groceries ultimately turned up in a taxi only a couple of hours late and with many apologies plus £15 off the bill. It's that kind of problem solving attitude which results in my still being a loyal Waitrose customer.

Luckygirl Sat 24-Nov-18 13:45:53

Waitrose it is then!

The CEO's secretary rang me just now and offered £30 - she started by asking me what I thought would be fair recompense. Perhaps I should have said the order free! I bet the £30 will be in the form of vouchers! She said the van's gearbox had broken down - fine - shit happens, but there is no excuse for not letting me know. She also said that maybe they should look at new vans for Hereford as this had happened 4 times recently - what the heck?!

Jalima1108 Sat 24-Nov-18 13:46:05

AIBU to be a bit cross with Tesco

tchsmile I am smiling, not at what they did, but at your gentle understatement Luckygirl.

I would be very cross indeed!

"Every little helps" - not when it comes to customer service, obviously.
I hope you've received your delivery now together with an apology, a discount and perhaps a bouquet.

Luckygirl Tue 11-Dec-18 22:34:54

Well - STOP PRESS - I have just looked at my credit card statement and they have reimbursed me the entire cost of the order - it was a big order with all the Christmas stuff on it - £194!!!!!!!!!!

So that's Christmas food for 10 sorted for nowt!! smile

cornergran Tue 11-Dec-18 22:38:58

Good news luckyg, it must help - a lot - even better if they can get your order to you early tomorrow. Good for you for complaining.

Emma49 Tue 11-Dec-18 23:03:07

Great result.

Grandma2213 Wed 12-Dec-18 03:06:09

Wow Luckygirl that sounds like good news. Let us know when you get your order!

I shop with Morrisons and rarely have a problem. They always ring but usually because they can be early. It suits me because I only order a late delivery as it is cheaper, so I am always in! I once got a £10 refund because they were late (by about half an hour) and have had a free box of a dozen eggs because one was broken. I can't really remember any other problems. There are occasional replacements but they are usually of more value than my original order.

Jessity Wed 12-Dec-18 09:55:46

Brilliant outcome financially luckygirl, hope the order arrives in time for you to get on with your preparations.

Tesco let me down badly years ago when online ordering was relatively new. We returned from holiday, empty fridge, Tesco order carefully planned for an hour later. Didn’t arrive, no phone call, no answer from customer service. Turned up the next day with a bottle of wine as apology.

Never used Tesco since. Always use Ocado and never have any problems, always a call from the driver if there’s any issue, mostly to say he’s a bit early, is it convenient.

Nonnie Wed 12-Dec-18 10:33:44

Just wondering if it will all be the same stuff from the original order and frozen will now be liquid!

Well done for complaining, It is always worth it so they don't do the same to someone else.

Alexa Wed 12-Dec-18 12:06:10

Good result Luckygirl.

It's nevertheless of concern to me that Tesco did not freshly click an automatic refund and give you a valuable freshly clicked gift as an apology for your inconvenience.

Fennel Wed 12-Dec-18 12:43:43

Very annoying. Did you order the fish for your fish pie? If so I would insist on a fresh replacement. Our Tesco gets fish in fresh every day.
And you had other perishable stuff in your order eg the meat.