Gransnet forums

AIBU

I’m a Celebrity, what’s the point??

(23 Posts)
Bridgeit Mon 26-Nov-18 14:47:12

Am I alone in utterly disliking this narsasitc show.?
Is it supposed to be amusing, or are we supposed to admire these celebrities for eating unsuspecting insects who have no defence or choice in the matter.
It would be much more palatable if they were sent to a place that needed help with home building, water supplies, sewerage systems etc, now that would be a challenge & something to be proud of. Does any money go to charity? Or is it just self indulgent?

MissAdventure Mon 26-Nov-18 14:48:25

Self indulgent I would imagine, but then aren't most tv shows these days?

BlueBelle Mon 26-Nov-18 15:21:14

There’s already a thread about this Not worth watching very tired programme now like the Simon cowel programmes ....had their day

humptydumpty Mon 26-Nov-18 15:27:49

Disagree completely - great entertainment.

EllanVannin Mon 26-Nov-18 15:28:37

They must all be running short of cash. Isn't one of them going to be half a million better off by being in it ? To say nothing of the presenters pay packets.

Why not have shows involving members of the public for a change ?

humptydumpty Mon 26-Nov-18 15:33:15

If you don't like it ladies, vote with your remotes - if that doesn't work, looks like it still has a good audience...

rockgran Mon 26-Nov-18 15:35:10

I hate all these shows and I agree that a charity inspired challenge would be a better use of resources and still provide entertainment.

ninathenana Mon 26-Nov-18 15:37:16

Never watched it, never will.

Charleygirl5 Mon 26-Nov-18 15:42:42

EllanVannin I totally agree, these Z list celebrities are short of cash. I do not bother to watch it.

Teetime Mon 26-Nov-18 15:44:14

Its not for me I never know who these people are.

Anniebach Mon 26-Nov-18 15:49:58

I enjoy watching it, everyone who works either on tv or in our own areas do so for money

sodapop Mon 26-Nov-18 15:56:12

I agree rockgran a charity challenge would be so much better. That would also improve the dreadful selfish, self centred Apprentice.

Willow500 Mon 26-Nov-18 16:05:27

Well I like it and enjoy getting 'to know' the personalities. It's especially interesting this year with Ann Hegarty's Aspergers condition as my grandson has just been diagnosed with it.

Smiley4 Mon 26-Nov-18 16:22:38

It amazes me what people will do for money and/or TV time. It sickens me. When so many are in need. Plus,
Holly willoughby flew out there, with her mother, and three children, all first class no doubt. Same for Declan and his wife and child. Plus mind boggling salaries. Plus staying in a six star hotel.
Nice work if you can get it. But it not the real world for most of us.

TerriBull Mon 26-Nov-18 16:26:14

I stopped watching it a few years ago, I thought some of the challenges with snakes, insects and the like were terrifying, not to mention what they are expected to ingest, absolutely foul shock When they did get stars, which were often hard won due to the nature and difficulty of the tasks, the ingredients for the evening meal, even with the maximum stars, appeared to be quite meagre, given they were half starved. It all seemed rather cruel, I know they are getting paid for it, but it made uncomfortable viewing. Like a lot of tired formulas I enjoyed it once.

Caledonai14 Mon 26-Nov-18 16:38:05

I've been watching it because of Ann Haggerty (for whom I have the greatest admiration), though I think it is quite ironic that the celebrities seem to be well up to most of the challenges, some of which are unnecessarily brutal and undignified -for example, was it really necessary to pour insects directly onto prone people's faces or to make other contestants' mouths held stretched open to that extent?

I stopped watching in years past when some poor soul got picked on by the public and I really disliked the smirking smugness of Ant and Dec over the distress or failures, particularly of older female contestants who didn't seem to know what their agents had signed them up to.

Unfortunately, the more the celebrities cope, the weirder the show format gets. I'm glad they've gone back to a "stars won = meals shared for all" as they seemed to be trying to starve the unchosen for a few days.

The best addition for me is Holly Willoughby for her human reaction to the contestants' struggles. She's disgusted, cringing and afraid along with them, says genuinely sympathetic, encouraging things and hugs them where possible. She's even getting told off for it!

So, while I am watching to see how Ann gets on, I am no longer so quick to switch off because the sniggering presenters' combo has been neutralised for this year.

KatyK Mon 26-Nov-18 16:39:23

We always thought it was utter rubbish. We watched it last year for the first time and now we're addicted.blush

Jane10 Mon 26-Nov-18 16:42:16

Nobody ever said it was the real world! Nobody has to watch it or even be in it. The fascination is seeing a disparate group of people absolutely out of their comfort zone and watching the relationships develop or not. I don't like the trials. I enjoy the chat and seeing how their personalities develop. It's not for narcissists (grossly overused term!). Nobody is looking at their best!
Don't like it? Don't watch it.

BlueBelle Mon 26-Nov-18 16:43:24

I stopped watching years ago too although I sometimes see bits and bobs when they are rerun or there’s nothing better on
I think Ann has been a real let down and see absolutely no reason for her to be there apart from the fee From what I ve heard she’s not done any challenges or anything much at all she’s better off staying with the chase

Jane10 Mon 26-Nov-18 17:06:31

Don't go on hearsay! She has done trials and has struggled on. The others have been supportive and kind. It's good to see.

Anniebach Mon 26-Nov-18 17:14:20

I find it interesting watching how personalities can change , it can be a look of anger, just a flash

Anniebach Mon 26-Nov-18 17:17:09

Would anyone with a disability be critcised ? I am learning from watching Anne. At least she hasn’t written books telling readers to ‘ just ask the universe ‘

Menopaws Mon 26-Nov-18 17:21:24

Don't follow it like I used to but it definitely uncovers personal issues unlike other reality shows, pretty gross at times but gains respect and loses respect in equal numbers. Admire people doing it. I couldn't