Gransnet forums

AIBU

Marks and Sparks

(245 Posts)
Hildagard Tue 08-Jan-19 15:39:28

I know that this has probably been mentioned before but.....Went into to large store yesterday and what have they done!, completely lost it, the new products are well, words fail me. When are they going to take notice of their loyal customers I for one have lost that loyalty. I was looking for a pair of trousers. Regular length size 14 DH who is 6ft would have been able to wear some and the quality of the fabric, yuk. Went off to Debenhams and got a great pair, and in the sale. How many more of you feel the same as I do, what can we do?

Lily65 Thu 07-Feb-19 19:07:35

Witzend, Tilletts have the odd thing and Kettlewell

callgirl1 Thu 07-Feb-19 17:03:32

Ours is also closing, but in April. The only department store left will be a locally owned one, which tends to be fairly expensive.

chelseababy Thu 07-Feb-19 11:15:40

Ours is closing in May.......will miss it. We had a local campaign to save the store. Wonder how many of the people bemoaning the closure actually shopped there.

SparklyGrandma Thu 07-Feb-19 08:21:42

I agree Witzend some nice log tops and tunics to cover the modesty when wearing leggings out. My coat does the trick in winter, but that doesn’t last forever...

Witzend Wed 06-Feb-19 10:22:09

Another thing, since so many people wear leggings now, why don't they do more long tops? I had a look the other day in large local Marks, could hardly find anything - masses of ordinary shorter tops and jumpers, though.

I know some people just don't care - I see so many really fat people wearing leggings with tops that don't even begin to cover their enormous bottoms - fair enough if they don't care - but although mine is not enormous I really would love some medium-priced, non-tacky, non 'bits-added' thigh-length tops or jumpers to wear with leggings.

A forlorn hope, I dare say. ?

MissAdventure Mon 04-Feb-19 23:10:31

Oh I've just seen the picture of the trousers! grin
Trumpton!

Coolgran65 Mon 04-Feb-19 22:11:10

Should read Arrrggghhhh ....(not arranging)

Coolgran65 Mon 04-Feb-19 22:10:11

I am exasperated. on their web site it states ...order before 10pm and pick up in store next day.

So I 've done the research and read the reviews, picked a 5* jumper for dh for Valentine's. It was 9.30on so should be able to order on line and pick it up locally tomorrow.

I opened an account and sorted the order, get to check out and click to pick up in store. This is great, there will be no just hoping it is in stock.

Hah!!!! Too good to be true. Tomorrow and Wednesday are greyed out, first available collection in store is Thursday. Very far removed from tomorrow which is Tuesday.... Ie the next day collection

Arranging !!!.

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 22:09:40

At least the germolene pink stuff has vanished now, and has been replaced by A Colmans mustard colour ( equally horrific to me.)

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 22:08:14

I was in a black tent last year.... camping.

Agree that the difference in stores is worrying, I realise that a small M&S can’t stock everything ( and I certainly would give the marching band trousers a miss) but there is a happy medium surely.I suppose that buying online is the way to go, but I prefer to see and try on before I buy.

Deedaa Mon 04-Feb-19 21:31:50

Mapleleaf I wear most of my coats open unless the weather is really bad. If there is heavy rain I will happily button up the trench coat and not care what it looks like!

SparklyGrandma Mon 04-Feb-19 20:23:06

As a largish, short lady, trousers with a go fast stripe down each leg, EVEN if they are from Marks, would be avoided by my short large self.

Marydoll ditto, Lily65 thank you!

Marydoll Mon 04-Feb-19 19:59:18

If only I was tall and slim Lily grin.
I can only dream!

Lily65 Mon 04-Feb-19 19:34:03

Marydoll, large short ladies should wear exactly what they like.

Just as tall slim ones should.

Marydoll Mon 04-Feb-19 19:27:38

I hope there are not many large, short ladies reading this! sad

Lily65 Mon 04-Feb-19 18:29:35

God no, large short ladies should be in black tents.

starbox Mon 04-Feb-19 17:15:11

Saw these beauties in the M & S sale- great if you're signing up to join a marching band. Can you imagine a large, short lady (these were that size) in turquoise polyseter with a gold stripe up leg?! But in fairness, I did get a lovely bright red cord mini skirt for only £9!

lilypollen Sun 03-Feb-19 22:46:34

DH hates the ready meals when I get seduced! Thinks they are over seasoned and I generally agree but it's nice not to have to cook from scratch! However overall I think they are more reasonably priced than Waitrose, including fresh meat and veg.

tidyskatemum Sun 03-Feb-19 22:32:52

Too many different labels (come back St Michael!) complete lack of quality control with sizing all over the place and over-elaboration of what could be quite nice basic items if only they could resist the urge to add sparkly bits/nasty buttons/frills and flounces. I like their knickers but it's hard to get matching bras when almost everything in co-ordinated ranges under a 36DD has padding, which I hate. I have no love for the food hall either - I rarely buy ready meals but occasionally get seduced and am always disappointed, while raw meat, veg etc are vastly overpriced for the quality. Give me Aldi any day!

Mapleleaf Sun 03-Feb-19 21:35:34

I’m sorry, but why would you buy a trench coat that only looks smart if you don’t button it up?! Surely the idea of them is to stop you getting wet in rainy weather. Kept open, you’d soon be soaked through. Maybe it’s just me....

lilypollen Fri 01-Feb-19 15:18:48

Sorry to resurrect another moan. Got a text "snow days are online shopping days". I need some bedding. Can I get the filters to work? No chance. The same happened with wine couldn't get a country option. I've given up and having a nice cuppa!

Lynnebo Sun 27-Jan-19 14:53:19

Visiting family, we called into the M&S at Deepdale (Preston) yesterday and it was a delight! Loads of beautiful clothes - I could’ve gone crazy but resisted and only bought two cotton nightdresses for an impending hosital stay.
A staff member was stationed at the cafe entrance only letting you in as a table became free at lunchtime with all the tables being cleaned promptly.
Our local store is bigger but not nearly as attractive.

Lazigirl Sun 27-Jan-19 14:46:22

I think my point earlier in thread was, we find it easy to moan about M&S but if we want decent quality we have to pay for it. Some items in M&S are good quality and wash and wear well, but you have to be selective. Their decent quality stuff is much cheaper than other more exclusive shops. If you want cheap then M&S has plenty of rubbish too but so do other shops. Perhaps they miss the fashion mark because they are trying to be all things to all people but I do see plenty of their clothes recommended in fashion supplements.

Witzend Sun 27-Jan-19 12:27:35

In their defence for once, I did find a nice enough pair of navy trousers - Per Una I think - last autumn. Needed something for a late October wedding that wasn't jeans! About £45 IIRC - anything of reasonable quality I found elsewhere was at least double.
In the end couldn't go to the wedding since dh was taken ill enough to be admitted to hospital - luckily soon better - but I've worn the trousers a lot since. They wash well and have kept their shape.

Jalima1108 Sat 26-Jan-19 22:08:30

I visited JL Jane10 and at least they had some colour co-ordination in their own brand.