Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect dog owners to control where their pets pee?

(75 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 12-Jan-19 15:46:45

Ooh sorry but have to rant! Was just washing up, kitchen window faces out front and saw a chap letting his dog roam over my front garden, peeing on it (the dog peeing, not the man!). I popped out and asked him nicely, not to let his dog do that again as my garden isn't a dog toilet.

He marched up the drive, and told me to tell the dog that.

My response " you're responsible for controlling your dog".

His response "you need to grow up" .

My response "you need to take responsibility for your dog's behaviour ".

I shut the door then as I felt he was belligerent and didn't want him taking a swing at me.

I should add our garden is open plan, as our estate planning didn't allow otherwise, and the dog wash on a lead so the owner could have done more to control it. (It was actually a really nice 'smiley' labrador which under different circumstances I'd have loved to pat).

I'm not a dog hater: for years we had dogs but work and other commitments didn't allow for us to have more when the last one passed away (and I still miss her). However I would never allow my dogs to foul other people's property: they were always put out in my back garden to do their 'big' business before being taken out for walks for recreational purposes and NOT allowed to pee in other people's gardens on the way!

Grrrr!!!

Sorry for the rant but he was SO rude and clearly felt he had the right to let his dog do that!

Maybe I should keep a bucket of water handy but would be tempted to chuck it over the owner, not the dog.....

NfkDumpling Mon 21-Jan-19 16:46:57

The owner was totally out of order. He shouldn’t have let his dog on your garden - it’s private property and I think you had every right to object.

We have an extra wide driveway as we have to drive in sort of on the slant and its open to the path. One gatepost is used by every passing dog as a pee post. They like to leave messages for each other and we have no objection as we realise this is just what dogs do. However, if the owners were to let their dogs wander into the rest of our garden (which is planted) I would object - loudly.

I have owned dogs and now walk our (male) granddogs. I would never ever let them into someone’s garden and keep them on a tight lead when walking the local open plan estate roads. It’s not difficult.

nanny2507 Mon 21-Jan-19 16:19:25

i have both cats and dogs and a disability. My dogs are never on leads as i cant hold a lead... however... i am in total control of my dogs as they are trained. I do not walk my dogs down the street they are only ever driven to parks or fields where they can be off lead. I would not allow any of my dogs on to someones garden but you cant always stop a dog peeing. I would not actively let my dogs pee up a bush or plant on someones property but i will let them pee up lamposts and or trees (not on peoples lands or gardens) I would be very annoyed if someone let their dog on my garden to pee...its called respect.

madmum38 Mon 21-Jan-19 15:22:14

May not quite connect but my dog,a border terrier/Jack Russell cross would forever be taking socks from wherever he could find them and when he pooped it would come out ready wrapped in a sock package. Caught him one day getting my daughters sock drawer open,don’t know why he was so obsessed but it made the clearing up easy.
He died from a brain tumour which we were told had nothing to do with his sock fetish

sodapop Mon 21-Jan-19 10:29:00

The dog was on a lead absent it was the attitude of the owner as well as the pee which the OP found annoying.
Every morning whilst walking my dogs we go past a house with open gates. The dogs never attempt to go in there despite not being on a lead as they have been told not to. Some people are always going to be uncaring and rude, unfortunately it gives other dog owners a bad reputation.

absent Mon 21-Jan-19 04:25:18

The dog should not have been in the garden. The dog should have been on a lead because it was in a street – and, therefore, it would not have been in a garden unless the owner was too.

Although not now, I have had dogs in my life – always slightly worried and disturbed boys because they were rescues and had had sad puppyhoods. I trained them and they behaved superbly, bravely, loyally and lovingly – depending on what was going on. However, they did pee on lampposts and car wheels in the urban environment where we lived, but never in peoples' gardens.

Cindy8 Mon 21-Jan-19 01:13:54

Hi guys
When i used to take my black lab out for her walks she used to go straight to a grid to do her wee's, iv no idea were she learnt to do this as i had her since she was 7weeks old, she sadly passed away a few years back at the age nearly 17 years but iv never seen a dog do this before.xx

LullyDully Wed 16-Jan-19 15:19:02

I was thinking about those black plastic bags. I assumed the owner would tip the poo down the loo and wash the box.....yuk.

GabriellaG54 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:38:22

LullyDully
Polystyrene is not recyclable.

BradfordLass72 Tue 15-Jan-19 19:40:56

Peppered borders around where you don't want any animal to go may work - until it rains. My neighbour uses strong cayenne pepper .

Mycatisahacker Tue 15-Jan-19 18:53:33

Fucks sake!

Dog poo totally clear that up but dog pee!!!

Please here’s a box of grips feel free to take one!

We have fox poo, badger poo, deer poo regularly onmour lawn and we live 20 minutes from Birmingham city centre.

It’s life! IF I was that bloke I would think you were batty.

LullyDully Mon 14-Jan-19 14:11:22

I suppose it saves on single use plastic ?

Flowerofthewest Mon 14-Jan-19 12:30:03

I once bumped into an old workmate of mine bending over his Highland Terrier and holding a polystyrene box under dogs bottom. He explained that he finds it easier to collect poo on the way out. Close lid and take it home

JanaNana Mon 14-Jan-19 11:17:06

It's not the dogs at fault but owners who are either thoughtless or inconsiderate, and think it's ok to let the dogs go wherever they want. I'm old enough to remember a TV programme with a woman called Barbara Woodhouse who taught dog owners to train their dogs to toilet in their own garden, before taking them out for a walk.
An open plan garden is still someone's garden, would they be cheeky enough to open the gate and let the dog in if it was fenced?
Only last week an 80 year old woman was fined £80 by two PCOs ( in Daily Mail news) for allowing her dog to be walked with those extra long extention leads in a cemetery of all places. There was apparently a sign at the entrance clearly stating that only the regular small leads could be used but she said she had not seen it and always cleaned up after her dog. At the time she was caught using the long lead, her dog had not fouled anywhere but the fact that it could have done out of her sight by the use of this type of lead was enough to issue the fine.

Margs Mon 14-Jan-19 10:59:30

A man in the mould of Jeremy Clarkson, eh? What an ignorant sh*t!

newnanny Sun 13-Jan-19 21:01:12

I keep my puppies on short leads and they are not allowed to go on other peoples property. I pick up after them and throw bag in bin. Really not hard to do and nothing all dog owners could not manage if they wanted to. I am afraid just a few bad owners make a large nuisance of themselves.

bikergran Sun 13-Jan-19 19:49:14

Last week I was putting some rubbish(black bin bags) from my dd house I put them on pavement whilst I unlocked the car boot...I just happen to turn around and a man with two small dogs dragged one of the dogs away form one of the bin bags! I happen to look and it had peed all over the bag!

I said well I was going to put that in my car! I said I cant now can I! he did apologise. but we think this is the man that walks his dogsd (once gone dark) an let it or them do their ! right outside my dd house, where the gnsons step nicely into the poo on the grass before getting in the car or going in the house.

They have a grass verge dog toilet outside where they have to step onto as there are no paving flags.

Jaxie Sun 13-Jan-19 19:18:38

But cats don't leave steaming piles of poo on the footpath for people to walk in. Where I live dog owners let their dogs poo on the beach: very nice, especially where toddlers play.

Dilemma Sun 13-Jan-19 17:22:49

Just before Christmas, two women, each with a child in a buggy and a dog, walked past my house which has an open plan lawn an the front. One dog was allowed to foul my lawn and it's owner picked up after it. I wasn't quick enough to speak to the owner, but posted on the village website that I felt allowing the dog to use my garden was not acceptable, even if the owner picked up.
Well, this caused Armageddon online, with most people calling me unreasonable and suggesting I put up a fence if I don't want this to happen! The local councillor posted that I would be within my rights to sue for trespass, but that seemed to be a step too far.
All I want is for dog walkers to respect other people's property; I have since seen the same dog being jogged past my garden to avoid a repetition of the incident, so maybe my "naming & shaming" did the trick.

Hollydoilly10 Sun 13-Jan-19 15:44:38

We don't always need dog training but Owner training too.
Rude man

icanhandthemback Sun 13-Jan-19 15:41:59

I haven't read all the posts, just wanted to say that, as a dog owner, he gives dog owners a bad name and was completely out of order. You ANBU.

4allweknow Sun 13-Jan-19 15:00:45

The owner is out of line allowing his dog to pee on private property. Should have it under control walking on footpath. Have lived on "open plan garden" estates for years and yes, some owners seem to ignore their responsibility. Most female dogs, if allowed on strange grass will pee, leaving their scent. Male dogs usually want something to pee up again to leave a scent. Boths' pee can burn grass turning it yellow. Not long lasting but some fine pepper sprinkled on the grass may deter a dog from even stepping on the grass

Boolya Sun 13-Jan-19 14:54:00

We used to get up daily to a heap on the gravel in our front garden. We were sure we knew which dog it was but never saw the owner so dropped notes through the door,no result. Installed a wildlife camera - bingo! Showed it to local bobby, problem solved.

lizzypopbottle Sun 13-Jan-19 14:19:02

Dog wee can be quite corrosive. If I'm lazy about where my dogs pee in our garden, I get bare patches in my grass. Usually, I water it in as soon as they do it. The watering can is generally ready and waiting for this job. Our dogs are rarely left outside because we want to clear up after them immediately. It's inconsiderate to allow a dog to wander into someone's garden and pee. I'm guessing the dog in question was on an extending lead. It's better to teach your dog to walk beside you.

Saggi Sun 13-Jan-19 13:42:20

On a serious note ....GrowingOldDisgracefully...open plan doesn’t have to be open plan. Reading the deeds to our property tells me that you can put up a fence or wall to the height of 2.5 ft ( I believe). Don’t know if it’s same in your area!! Keep the unwanted dogs out! Although not the cats! Just a thought!

Willow10 Sun 13-Jan-19 13:36:46

Really? Please don't tell my creepy neighbour!