Gransnet forums

AIBU

Violent TV programmes

(82 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 15-Jan-19 21:54:11

They seem to be the norm now, are they a reflection of parts of our society OR are they steering us towards accepting this as the norm .? Does this brainwash a generation of young people into carrying weapons as acceptable & par for the course?
It’s the same old question , do TV & films reflect reality or do we emulate what we see & watch?

Gettingitrightoneday Thu 14-Feb-19 08:08:44

Oops double post . My excitement at at last getting my tablet functioning on gransnet.

Gettingitrightoneday Thu 14-Feb-19 08:02:44

I thought I would watch Luther to see what it was. I was appalled by the unecessary violence. That is now right off my watch list.

Nelliemoser Tue 29-Jan-19 10:05:53

I thought I would watch to see if Luther was worth watching. It was totally uneccesarily
violent.

What do people get out of watching a violent fight? I suspect a lot of people must enjoy it.

What is wrong with these people?
It is perfectly possible in a drama to make it obvious that someone has been assaulted.
Now get on with the story if there is any sensible story in the whole drama.

Alexa Mon 28-Jan-19 15:22:54

Violence for entertainment bores me however the violent scenes on Les Miserables last night were well done and credible because of the obvious human and moral interest , unlike in many battle scenes in film plays.

NotSpaghetti Mon 28-Jan-19 14:26:07

Not all violence is gratuitous rockgran

Jane10 Sat 26-Jan-19 18:10:09

Grantchester perhaps?

rockgran Sat 26-Jan-19 17:54:07

I enjoy the puzzle of a crime drama but I don't need to see gratuitous violence to understand that a crime has been committed. I prefer gentler police dramas where people seem to die tidily and with very little bloodshed.

Jane10 Sat 26-Jan-19 17:17:27

Jaxie I'm so sorry but I can't remember! It's not quite the same without Lucien but Jean seems to be doing sterling work with the police most of whom now seem to lodge with her!

bluejay29 Sat 26-Jan-19 13:34:45

I don't watch the violent drama series and hate the swearing on tv after 9pm, children are still up. I shudder especially at the swearing on the BBC. It makes me angry and very sad... I don't pay my licence for that.

Jaxie Fri 18-Jan-19 10:21:14

Jane10, Please tell me what the name of what the Dr Blake Mysteries have morphed into.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jan-19 10:33:53

Lily65 - ha ha!

Lily65 Thu 17-Jan-19 10:07:02

Notspaghetti, I've seen that! somehow it doesn't count when its not in my first language.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jan-19 00:18:03

I’m afraid I don’t seem to want to watch endless re-runs of 70s shows and don’t watch any of the soaps.
I’m someone who has enjoyed some of the grittier dramas but wouldn’t want children watching a lot of it.
I’ve been watching the Argentinian TV drama series “The Cleaning Lady” this week for instance and that’s pretty bloody.

Toots Wed 16-Jan-19 20:33:54

I too get fed up with the programme makers thinking we want "reality" on television all the time... I do enjoy a good detective mystery I must admit, but graphic gratuitous violence, no thanks. We actually tend to watch the Talking Pictures channel quite often, all those old black and white..and sometimes colour...nostalgic films are much nicer and more relaxing to watch. I have to say, also, that I believe a lot of street violence comes from some of these horrible video games the youngsters play..they get lost in a fantasy world where they can shoot, stab, and blow people up with no consequences whatsoever, and I think it dulls their senses, and consciences in the real world. ?

sarahellenwhitney Wed 16-Jan-19 19:42:28

No holds barred in the 21c ? I was most surprised however on watching a programme that showed what was ok in the 70s but would not be allowed now and seen as racist although a comedy, yet female abuse 21C is apparently ok.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 16-Jan-19 19:27:38

Bradfordlass72 I loved Saturday mornings at our local cinema that was frequently spoilt by the boys in our crowd who insisted on charging around the aisles in unison with Roy Rogers after the baddies.

Jane10 Wed 16-Jan-19 19:02:44

I just love a good long veg!

Lily65 Wed 16-Jan-19 18:52:59

Funny you should say that Grey......I wonder how the horses are doing these days?

Greyduster Wed 16-Jan-19 18:30:26

Where did the issue of “vegging in front of the TV” come from? A couple of hours in front of evening tv is hardly “vegging”, and I suspect very few of us can be accused of that. Do you need a ladder to get on that horse of yours, Gabriella?

Mollyplop Wed 16-Jan-19 18:09:50

Good point Chino

Chino Wed 16-Jan-19 17:52:46

I recently watched Manhunt and found it very enjoyable as there was no vicious violence shown. I do like crime and mystery dramas but am increasingly finding myself turning them off because of the nasty scenes shown. I do feel they must have some impact on vulnerable viewers

moggie57 Wed 16-Jan-19 16:25:40

as soon as i hear the f word i turn off the dvd that i am watching.its like books to why the f word every other few words, cant they say what they want to without effing.!!

sharon103 Wed 16-Jan-19 16:07:23

I used to watch Coronation Street for years from the Ena Sharples era up until a couple of years ago when the violent stories started. Can't stand to watch it now. The same with Eastenders that's all doom and gloom and arguing so haven't watched that for a few years now. You can't beat the good old family comedy shows from the 70's.

seadragon Wed 16-Jan-19 16:06:02

I'm with you PECS about the soaps. I noticed a sharp increase in violent drama last year which has helped me reduce my viewing considerably. Is all this part of 'project fear' I wonder?

PECS Wed 16-Jan-19 16:01:41

I actually think that the soap operas do potentially more 'damage' than some short , even if violent, series or plays.
They really do normalise 'dramas' as being part of everyday life. The aggression, casual relationships, family meltdowns, deaths etc etc. that they present as normal everyday life is insidious!