Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think Gransnet is not inclusive

(8 Posts)
sodapop Fri 25-Jan-19 12:50:41

There are quite a lot of members on Gransnet who do not live in the UK. Why then are any offers / competitions etc restricted to UK members.

Nonnie Fri 25-Jan-19 12:53:32

Maybe because GN is based in the UK? I suspect they can only make such offers based upon what is offered to them. I don't suppose they get offers from outside UK.

Elegran Fri 25-Jan-19 13:08:42

Why not ask GNHQ? They don't automatically monitor every post, so they may not see your question, and the individual posters don't know the answer.

granfromafar Fri 25-Jan-19 13:39:14

They are probably catering for the majority. I ignore most of the adverts but often enter the competitions.

sodapop Fri 25-Jan-19 13:55:45

I understand the points made, thanks. However I think Gransnet should be aware of their membership spread and at least make some effort to include non UK members. I will make my point directly to them as suggested.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 25-Jan-19 16:44:23

Hi sodapop, thanks for raising this. We know many of our users live abroad and it's great that the Gransnet community extends so far. When it comes to competitions it's often dictated by whoever is running the competition for us. Postage charges can be exorbitant, especially for heavy prizes, and it also becomes very tricky to track and make sure prizes arrive safely. It is fairly standard practice amongst most sites running comps for just these reasons. We are always more than happy to post the prize to a UK address (friend/family member) if the winner would prefer and they can collect it when they next visit. Could this be an option for you?

sodapop Fri 25-Jan-19 17:41:33

Thanks Lara that would indeed be an option for me, not sure about others outside the UK. Maybe it would be possible for prizes, offers to come in the form of vouchers occasionally so we could participate.

nonnasusie Fri 25-Jan-19 19:17:27

I've used my daughter's address for competitions and had a couple of things sent there! I live in Italy!