Gransnet forums

AIBU

Things that annoy me

(149 Posts)
Cindersdad Tue 05-Feb-19 14:39:09

There are many things that infuriate me so may be I'm just an impatient so and so. I'll just tell you of one of many for now.

In a queue at the supermarket the cashier has rung in the items for the customer ahead of me and has to wait for the customer to pack all the items before said customer fumbles for his/her card/cash holding up those behind them. They should have the card/cash ready much sooner allowing the cashier to get on with serving the next customer.

SueDonim Sat 09-Feb-19 16:39:42

Well, he did ask, Pamela - it's not your fault if he didn't like the answer! grin

PamelaJ1 Sat 09-Feb-19 15:29:11

I used to be that irritated person but I realised the error of my ways, gave myself a talking to and lightened up.
However that also creates problems because I’m also fairly opinionated!
The man in front of me recently had picked up the incorrect plug in smelly thing. He wanted lavender and not rose. We got into a conversation about fragrances and he asked me which I preferred. I felt honor bound to tell him that there was no way I’d give those things houseroom. They release nasty things into the air and I believe they are the work of the devil(?), well maybe I didn’t use that phraseology but got the message across. I think I’d have made him happier if I’d stayed quietly ?!!

PECS Sat 09-Feb-19 14:14:01

Everybody is entitled to go to the supermarket. As yet there is not a test to make sure you get through in a set time. Just be patient.

SueDonim Sat 09-Feb-19 14:10:48

We didn't want to take up two checkouts plus I needed help with the baby.

harrigran Sat 09-Feb-19 09:39:21

Two trolleys and two separate cards ? Why didn't you and DH go through different check outs ?

SueDonim Sat 09-Feb-19 00:11:55

All the impatient GN folk would have been spitting tacks and then having apoplectic fits if they had been behind me in the supermarket today. grin

My Dh and I had not one but two trolleys full of goods, plus our 14mth old granddaughter who was getting exceedingly fractious, at the checkout. To make matters even slower, I was using two different payment cards, two different loyalty cards and one money-off voucher.

Thankfully, the checkout assistant was a lot nicer than some of the moaners on here and did as much as she could to help us get through the system and enable us to pacify our GD.

There was a very patient soul waiting behind us so the checkout assistant got the next till opened up and my Dh helped her move her purchases there so she could get processed more quickly. So if that was you behind us in Waitrose today, thank you for being kind and understanding! smile

bikergran Fri 08-Feb-19 23:22:16

smile

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 23:20:53

That's because they usually keep the rest of their crap stuff in their partners handbag, in my experience.

bikergran Fri 08-Feb-19 23:18:35

think it would get lost in mine lol never seen the men produce it from anywhere other than their wallet LOL.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 23:15:19

I'll have to give it a go at home, biker, although I expect I may need a well fitting bra first. blush

bikergran Fri 08-Feb-19 23:08:16

MissAdventure quite a few young ladies keep their cards down their bras lol lol they seem to produce it as quick as a flash then just as fast pop it back in ! lol..they do it so quick you dont really notice...its like a magic trick lol

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 23:03:16

Iceland is the shop most likely to make me panic a bit.
There isn't anywhere to go once you've paid except out the door and into the carpark. (Is that one word?!)
So then I'm dodging cars, struggling with my bags and trying to organise my purse, ticket, debit card and so on.

annep1 Fri 08-Feb-19 22:58:34

Why is everyone in such a hurry nowadays. Life should be easier now. And yet we have less time.
And assistants should have time to be pleasant and speak to customers.
The problem is shops want to operate on minimum staff for maximum profit. So that owners can get richer. Less employment, less courtesy to customers who are doing companies a favour by shopping in their store. Hassled to spend your money as quickly as possible and get out. I generalise of course. All shops aren't like this but its the trend. Its all about greed!

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 22:55:35

I keep my bus ticket in my pocket. Its the same size as my debit card, so then I'd be fumbling around finding the right one.
House keys are in the other. smile
I'm not at all worried about being mugged; I just have to organise myself with military precision these days.

grannyticktock Fri 08-Feb-19 22:50:05

How about finding your card while you're waiting in the queue and placing it in your coat pocket? You are unlikely to be mugged in Salisburys during those last few minutes at the till. After you've paid, return it to the pocket, and then when you're packed up, you can move away, undo the various zips and clasps, and return the card to the purse/bag or wherever you keep it.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 14:33:25

My card is in my purse, in a particular pocket, so I always know where to find it.
Even using a different bag or purse has been known to result in me losing my card, purse or keys.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Feb-19 14:23:57

MissAdventure, My purse is always at the bottom of my bag purely and simply because there are total toerags around who watch the elderly and are more than happy to relieve them of their purse/wallets.

I would never have cash/cards in my pockets.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 14:15:03

Where is 'somewhere handy' though?
Seriously, where do people put their card or cash whilst packing?

grannyticktock Fri 08-Feb-19 11:57:56

I don't think moving slowly or fumbling a bit is a source of much annoyance, it's more the people who seem completely unaware of the presence of others - the ones who fail to use their queuing time to find their card and put it somewhere handy (rather than in a purse in a handbag inside another bag); the ones who prioritise tidy packing of their trolley rather than completing the transaction and allowing the queue to keep moving; the ones who slow things down by having a phone conversation at the same time, etc. It's about awareness of others rather than speed.

It's all very well saying that everyone else should have more patience, but you don't know what pressures there may be on people behind you in the queue. They may have a bus or a taxi to catch, a child to collect, a sick partner waiting at home, or simply be dying for a pee! It's simple courtesy to be as efficient and considerate as you can at the checkout.

icanhandthemback Fri 08-Feb-19 10:55:26

Great post bikergran. smile

alibongo23 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:54:18

I absolutely agree, people are so impatient these days and have no empathy with people that are not 100% fit and able to move quickly. I have been behind little old ladies that are so stressed because they can’t move quickly at the checkouts and are apologising to all for existing! I always reassure them that it’s not a problem and to take their time. Fully aware that I will be slower one day too grin
If you can’t care enough to be tolerant choose a self checkout then you have only yourself to get annoyed at! And the till of course.

Noreen3 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:21:05

I'm sometimes guilty of being a bit slow,but not too bad,and I have loyalty card and money handy.Some people are in too much of a rush.I do find it annoying when someone has been waiting at a bus stop then get on the bus,rummage for money or pass,talk to the driver about the bus being late,talk about the weather,then finally sit down,so the bus is even later

newnanny Thu 07-Feb-19 20:20:46

I can cope with that but I do get a bit annoyed if I am in a hurry and the cashier clearly knows customer in front and slows up whilst chatting to them and then even when transition has finished still keeps chatting to them. They are being paid to work not chat.

moggie57 Thu 07-Feb-19 19:48:05

well maybe you should write to the supermarket instead. on my trip to the usa there is always a 2nd person to do the packing. but if there isn't smile sweetly to the person getting impatient and say that you have arthritis in your fingers and that it is hard to grip items.never used a hand scanner its all numbers to me.

stella1949 Thu 07-Feb-19 13:19:33

This is why I use self checkouts . It's up to you how long you take, and nobody has to wait behind you.