Gransnet forums

AIBU

Something that annoys me.

(129 Posts)
kittylester Sat 09-Feb-19 14:22:42

My real name is quite unusual and I use a shortened version. The shortened version can be spelt with or without an e on the end. I always use the e. My niece has the same name and doesn't. (She's wrong!!! grin)

AIBU to get really angry when people ignore my extra e? I know I am really but it infuriates me when I send a message or email and people don't take enough care to check.

Feel better now!!

rambler2 Tue 12-Feb-19 09:43:41

Not really bothered if people get my name wrong so long as they like me!
What really annoys me is when sales assistants call me "dear' or 'love'.
So patronising.

SueDonim Mon 11-Feb-19 15:40:27

My father misspelt my second name, with an A instead of an O. I've always used the O version but my birth certificate plainly has the A spelling. Luckily, it's not caused me any problems in life so far.

On being asked if you have spelt your own name correctly, I was recently asked by the bank if I had my own date of birth right! I offered to phone my 90-something mother to clarify but they said that wouldn't be necessary. confused

Tillybelle Mon 11-Feb-19 14:02:19

olliebeak. Or - like my Aunt who had six brothers - do you ever get called.... "Lil" ?!!!
Hence I grew up with and Aunty Lil. Poor lady. She was the best Aunty ever, so long-suffering!!

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 13:59:54

janmarie grin

Tillybelle Mon 11-Feb-19 13:58:43

Rockmysocks.. YANBU!
It's your name and people should get it right!
I started out as a Teacher. I can't imagine how awful it would have been if I had not spelled my pupils' names correctly!
It is a matter of respect.
Both my Christian name and surname have more familiar alternate spellings. I always spell my names when giving them. I had close friends who persisted in spelling my first name differently. Recently in an email I told them how it is spelled. They did not take offence.
The spelling of names is important. If your niece wants to drop the e there is nothing you can do. But in your case you can tell people when they have spelled your name wrongly and ask them to put it right. That is perfectly reasonable.

Magrithea Mon 11-Feb-19 10:00:53

kittylester I'm intrigued!!

My name is shortened to one I prefer but when people shorten it even more it annoys me! I've only allowed one or two to do this and have pulled people up who shorten it even when they've just met me!

janmarie Mon 11-Feb-19 09:13:50

An elderly lady I know had the surname of Clarke. She ordered a catalogue over the phone and said her surname explaining it had an "e". When it arrived it was addressed Mrs J Clark-Witheney!!

JasminesNanny23 Mon 11-Feb-19 09:09:53

Really? I’ve got an ‘e’ at the end of my middle name and always say Anne with an ‘e’ so people spell it right. My first name sometimes is written by putting an extra ‘r’ in it which amuses me as it is an unusual way to spell my name, plus because my surname is Mitchell I quite often get called Michelle as a first name when people who don’t know me speak to me, which amuses me. Sometimes I correct them but most of the time don’t as I prefer it to my first name. A few times I’ve been called Mary-Anne, this morning on the phone for example, which I don’t mind. I don’t care what I’m called as long as it’s polite, if that is all you have to worry about then you are very lucky.

olliebeak Mon 11-Feb-19 09:09:15

I come from a family who have a penchant for giving babies two christian names, but very often call the child by the second of those two names as their 'everyday name'. It wasn't until I got in genealogy that I discovered how many times it has happened down the generations.

However, my own 'everyday name' (Lilian) usually ends up spelled incorrectly as Lillian - with an extra 'l' in the middle. I've learned to just let it go - but I really can't abide being called 'Lily' .................. I can hear my mum groaning in protest!

MaudLillian Mon 11-Feb-19 08:12:48

I get annoyed too, when people add an e to my name -even if I've just sent them a letter, card or email with my way of spelling it on there! But I also hate spelling mistakes and bad grammar....

yattypung Mon 11-Feb-19 01:37:52

And to make matters worse, my name is Patti not Patricia!! Although my sister always called me Trish!

yattypung Mon 11-Feb-19 01:33:56

Even my mum and dad couldn’t agree on how my name was spelt, dad insisted it ended with an ‘e’ but mum says not so

OPgrndtr Sun 10-Feb-19 22:55:04

Yes it is. Webster is wrong. Thank you very much. Marcie

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Feb-19 22:02:45

I know a couple of Marcias and they are always Mar-see-ah, OPgrndtr - Webster's is American, isn'it?!

sylviann Sun 10-Feb-19 21:58:59

My first name gets spelt incorrectly quite often but I know who they mean so I don't mind

Juggernaut Sun 10-Feb-19 20:43:55

GabriellaG54
We have no 'Warwicks' in our family.
Anything 'widely used' is much too popular/common for us!
wink

OPgrndtr Sun 10-Feb-19 20:40:35

My DM named me Marcia pronounced Mar-see-ah. She wasn't aware that Webster's famous dictionary says that is pronounced Marsha. I have to go by it legally for banks and Drs. Last year DM had to take me to my eye Dr. since I couldn't drive home after. The nurse came out and asked for Marsha. I didn't answer. Then I asked if it was my surname. She said yes. Then my DM asked me if people do that all the time. I said yes, and she apologized for naming me that. That is why I always go by my nickname for friends and family. Thank you. Marcie

netflixfan Sun 10-Feb-19 20:38:30

My name is Joy and I will answer to anything beginning with a J. Doesn't bother me!!!

Tamayra Sun 10-Feb-19 20:35:52

Tam Tee Tammie Tammy
All the names I get called !
Is Tamayra really so hard to remember???

GabriellaG54 Sun 10-Feb-19 19:44:30

Warwick is the English place name most widely used as a male forename.

Juggernaut Sun 10-Feb-19 19:15:53

My name can be spelled two different ways.
I have spent over 61 years correcting people, and will continue to do so.
I am usually known to friends and family by an abbreviation of my name, which causes even more confusion, as that abbreviation can be used for at least three more female and two male names!
Our DS and DGS both have old English forenames which are often used as surnames! DGS's forename is also a place in England!

annep1 Sun 10-Feb-19 18:06:25

I don't feel like an Ann so I usually tell people its with an e hoping they don't think I am being pernickety. But what I hate is when my name is pronounced Annie. Surely everyone knows how Anne is pronounced!

Nonnatimesfour Sun 10-Feb-19 17:41:07

Urmstongran, I don't go with the p.c. brigade, they want a'one size fits all' how boring is that - we are individuals and I am a Christian so I will say I have Christian names and a surname - end of ! :-)

Jane43 Sun 10-Feb-19 17:38:47

I’m just plain Jane so no problems with that. Some people did insert an extra ‘e’ in my maiden name of Sedgwick though.

kathsue Sun 10-Feb-19 17:32:42

My first name is Kathleen. I had a long chat with a chap in an Indian call centre who just couldn't get it right. I had to explain it began with K not C, then he wanted to end it with line. He tried saying it phonetically . He finally twigged and said "Aah 2 elephants". confused.
I still think of that whenever I have to spell my name.