Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is it just me?

(20 Posts)
4allweknow Wed 27-Feb-19 22:40:01

Never had any problem like this with mobile hairdresser. Had her for 11 years now. Usually on time, has texted now and again asking is okay to come a bit earlier as had a cancellation or finished so somewhere quicker than she thought she would be. I even had to insist I give her an increase in her charge as she hadn't increased it after 3 years.

Patsy70 Tue 26-Feb-19 22:28:29

I've also found that mobile hairdressers tend to be less punctual, full of apologies regarding traffic, sick child etc. I now visit a salon, which on the whole seems to keep to time. When I was practicing as a therapist at home, I was also frequently called at the last minute to cancel or rearrange appointments, which I found very frustrating. It works both ways I guess.

Tangerine Tue 26-Feb-19 21:55:37

If you are able to do so, I'd perhaps go to a salon. They tend to run to time, I find.

sodapop Tue 26-Feb-19 19:32:11

Don't think I would be tipping someone who arrived an hour late.

Chewbacca Tue 26-Feb-19 18:49:00

Hairdresser did arrive, over an hour late, and offered profuse apologies but no explanation as to what had delayed her. However, next appointment booked for the first appointment of the day, straight after the school run. Fingers crossed.

I don't think she's resentful about the price charged because I always tip her very well and she seems pleased with that. I'm hoping that today was a one off. ever optimistic smile

stella1949 Tue 26-Feb-19 18:03:56

You might be better off going to the salon instead. Like you I do the school drop-offs and pickups - so when I need my hair done I make the first appointment of the day, straight after I do the drop offs. That way there is less likelihood of delayed appointments at the salon.

B9exchange Tue 26-Feb-19 17:40:38

Thank you Sodapop, you have made me feel a less guilty! smile

janeainsworth Tue 26-Feb-19 17:18:03

I think if this sort of thing happens once in a while, you have to be accepting and tolerate it.
But if it’s happening every time, they are taking the mickey, aren’t they?
It’s time to give your custom to someone who appreciates it.
chewbacca have you thought of going to a salon? Then you could arrange an appointment at the time of your choosing, and they are less likely to run late, find other things to do etc. They’re also perhaps more likely to be concerned about their reputation.

I’ve been going to the same salon for 14 years. In all that time, they phoned me once to say that my stylist was off sick. I was offered the choice of rescheduling with him, or seeing someone else.

The rest of the time I am seen promptly, made to feel welcome and generally looked after.

Maybe your hairdresser isn’t actually charging enough, and she feels resentful as a result, and that’s why she is offhand in her attitude?

BlueBelle Tue 26-Feb-19 17:12:30

Sorry I CANT bear unpunctuality

BlueBelle Tue 26-Feb-19 17:10:42

I couldn’t bear this so I wouldn’t have a mobile unless I couldn’t get out at all I make my appointment get there on time and get done on time I can bear unpunctualityb

sodapop Tue 26-Feb-19 17:07:56

I disagree Telly We all have to turn up to work on time and ensure we allow enough time to contend with traffic etc.

Telly Tue 26-Feb-19 16:23:54

Patience is a virtue! I guess that sometimes things do not go to plan - traffic etc. Think you needs to cut some slack, although I would draw the line at not turning up.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Feb-19 14:02:53

It does sound annoying Chewbacca but as it’s not unusal for her to do this to you, perhaps your own ‘window’ of opportunity is too restrictive to accommodate it. Maybe try to get your hair done when you have a day with fewer commitments upon your time? Not your fault at all, as it’s her tardiness, but changing your schedule if you can’t change hers might alleviate the stress.

kittylester Tue 26-Feb-19 13:18:54

My hairdresser is an old friend and when I go to her salon I am often kept waiting and this has now been extended to the friend who also goes to her.

Turning up late was one of the reasons why I sacked my last cleaner.

sodapop Tue 26-Feb-19 13:05:40

But its not B9 you are providing employment for someone. Why do we feel guilty about having help around the home, its a winner all round in my book.
I don't understand why people who come to your home to work feel its ok to play fast and loose with schedules. They wouldn't do it if they worked in an office, hospital or other places of employment. My daughter had a cleaning business and her customers often would say as she was about to leave "can you just do so and so" she had to explain this would make her late for her next customer.

B9exchange Tue 26-Feb-19 12:36:29

I have a cleaner who does the same, is supposed to be here a set time every week, but in two years can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times she has arrived on time. Usually I get a text 30 to 45 mins later saying she is 'on her way' which means she is about to go shopping, have a meeting, etc, or it is her 'time of the month' and she will have to reschedule. Arriving two hours late is common, and means we can't get into the kitchen for lunch.

She cleans well enough when she gets here, and her prices aren't unreasonable for the area. I know I am lucky to just be able to afford a cleaner, and am so grateful for that. But there is a bit of me that feels resentful that she thinks I don't matter enough for her to turn up on time. Scheduling a meeting for the time she is supposed to be here seems to be taking the mickey. First world problems, I know!

sodapop Tue 26-Feb-19 12:32:26

Yes I think Grandma70s has it in a nutshell. Mobile hairdressers under estimate travelling time and time spent chatting. Try to squeeze too many appointments into one day.

Grandma70s Tue 26-Feb-19 12:27:16

I had a very similar experience with a mobile hairdresser, except I didn’t even get a text. I had to phone her when she was late, and she was always over-optimistic about how long it would be before she reached me. Drove me mad.

sunseeker Tue 26-Feb-19 12:24:25

Yes, I found the longer I stayed with any service I would be messed about. There was a time when a long standing customer would be given preference, but now it is the new customer who receives all the attention.

Chewbacca Tue 26-Feb-19 12:16:04

I had a very good hairdresser, for several years, who would come to cut and colour my hair in my home. At first she was prompt and reliable but as the years went by she began to text me, about 10 minutes before she was due to arrive, to say that she was "running late" and would be another hour or so. For a long time, I accepted it and re jigged my day to accommodate her, often causing a lot of inconvenience. When it got to the stage of not turning up at all because she was ill/forgotten/double booked appointments/car had broken down/child was ill etc, I found a new hairdresser who assured me that she would never do that.

3rd appointment with new hairdresser was today. An hour ago. Just received the dreaded text to say she's "running late" and it will be another half an hour before she can get here. I'm really cross about it! I've rushed around to get GC to school, have a GP appointment, get back for hairdresser and then have to be back at school for pickup time. I'm cross that the cut and colouring of my hair will be rushed because she'll have less time now.

Is it me? Does anyone get messed about like this? Is my time less important than someone who's time I'm paying for? Aaarrgghhh!