Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sanitary products in hospitals

(115 Posts)
Esspee Sun 03-Mar-19 07:37:36

I was shocked to read today that sanitary products are NOW going to be supplied in hospitals in England on the NHS.

Surely that is a basic necessity for women in hospital. Why has it not been challenged before now?

FlexibleFriend Sun 03-Mar-19 18:09:49

I was quite shocked that razors and shaving foam were supplied to men, why can't they take their own or buy it in the hospital shop. Like sanitary items I under them being supplied in an emergency but not routinely by the cash strapped Nhs. As a side note when I was an in patient I had sanitary protection in my bag which was open by my bed and was asked by a nurse if she could borrow one. I said she could take one, two if she needed to but I didn't want it back. She was very apologetic about asking but had come on her period unexpectantly while at work, bit shocked she had to resort to asking a patient tbh.

Cherrytree59 Sun 03-Mar-19 17:35:11

What worries me is what the NHS will be paying the sanitary products.

Several years ago DH was involved through work to try and obtain a contract to provide (British Manufactured) hospital beds to the NHS.
The NHS was tied in to a contract to buy hospital beds from Germany at an astronomical price.

Grammaretto Sun 03-Mar-19 17:25:04

Luckily I've never needed them in hospital recently but when baby number 1 was born everything was not only provided for him but he was dressed and nappied by the nurses in the nursery.
Fast forward 10 years to baby #4 . Nothing was automatically provided and I was expected to be up changing nappies from the first one.
I think to give sanitary pads and incontinence pads in hospitals is a civilised provision.
No one would force you to use them but they'd be available.

paddyann Sun 03-Mar-19 16:26:43

Sanitary wear is available free in Scottish schools and universities and a lot of civic buildings ,Period poverty affects girls and women of all ages and in many cases interferes with schooling .Some shops offer to give a pack to the local foodbank for every pack bought .Homeless charities appeal for sanitary wear and things like deodorant and cheap knickers for women who live rough and cant wash stuff. You would hate to be in that situation yourself so why would you let others live like that ?

sodapop Sun 03-Mar-19 16:17:05

Yes these products should definitely be available in schools EllanVannin I'm sure there are families who need help and this would be one way of doing it.

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 16:10:08

What about schools ?

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 16:06:20

Elrel, I was wondering if the same could be done for those in dire need of sanitary products too. I'm sure that GP surgeries would have lists of those who'd be eligible.

Cabbie21 Sun 03-Mar-19 13:51:56

There will often be people who have to go into hospital unexpectedly or have to stay longer than expected. Not everyone has family who can bring things in. Not everyone can afford what most of us consider necessities.
I think it is generally a good thing that hospitals can now supply sanitary protection free if required.

FarNorth Sun 03-Mar-19 13:48:14

Why would you need the hospital to supply them?

At a GP visit, my daughter was told to go immediately for an x-ray. She was then taken by taxi to another hospital, without being allowed to go home first.
She had to stay there for 3 days while she was treated.
Clearly, the treatment was needed. There's no problem about that.

Her period started on the last day she was there. Nurses said they had nothing they could give her, and there was nowhere to buy anything.
She made do with toilet paper, which is not advisable because of risk of infection.
(She also had no clean knickers shock )

At the very least, basic items should be available for hospital patients to buy.

Charleygirl5 Sun 03-Mar-19 13:32:41

I personally think if somebody is "caught short" they should be provided but not routinely.

Elrel Sun 03-Mar-19 13:29:26

EllanVannin - yes, Continence Clinics and Community Nurses can arrange for delivery of free pads to those who need them.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 03-Mar-19 12:56:53

Here in Denmark, sanitary towels have always been provided in ward bathrooms, as are nightclothes, vests, underpants and dressing gowns.

But I agree, why are sanitary towels and tampons so expensive, every woman between approximately 12 and 50 needs them.

Elegran Sun 03-Mar-19 12:40:28

Some hospital stays are longer than others, and when admited you don't always know how long you will be there. If you are confined to bed, how do you buy sanitary protection?

Eloethan Sun 03-Mar-19 12:31:29

Sadly, some people are so poor that they have to rely on others. That, in my opinion, is a disgrace in a developed country.

BlueBelle Sun 03-Mar-19 12:17:45

Men should supply their own razors and I BET most do most men are creatures of habit and would want to use their own razor
Why on earth do we expect NHS to provide Sanatory protection what else do they want to buy, - my knickers
Oh come on Gonegirl not many people carry a toilet round with them but they do carry protection in their bags The blooming cafe up the road gives you toilet paper but would hardly offer you a packet of Tampax Can’t we take care of anything for ourselves
Nothing wrong with having an emergency cupboard in case anyone comes in unprepareded and needs it but not automatically what ever next Free facials to boost your self esteem no wonder the health system is on its knees

Look after your own needs stop relying in others

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 12:12:11

I have no idea how much these things cost but in my day they were 1/6 to 1/11 per pack-------which is what they're worth ! 16p and 20p.

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 12:09:05

Telly, the reason being is to highlight the true poverty in this country where girls/young women can't even afford a basic necessity !

Eloethan Sun 03-Mar-19 12:06:02

If it is true that other products, such as razors, are supplied by the hospital then I can see no reason to object to sanitary products being supplied to women.

Eloethan Sun 03-Mar-19 12:05:06

I would imagine, in the case of elective procedures, most women would take in their own sanitary protection since everyone has different product preferences.

However, I do think there is a need to have a stock of basic sanitary towels because there are women who can't afford protection and who just try and make do when they are at home. Also, as has been said, someone who is admitted as an emergency case would not be in a position to organise such things.

Telly Sun 03-Mar-19 11:17:31

They are supplied in an emergency, and I would imagine that most women would want to use their own. You have always had to bring in your own in maternity. The one thing I find odd is why this is a lead news story?

PECS Sun 03-Mar-19 11:13:35

www.facebook.com/bbcradiobristol/videos/788163194852145/UzpfSTEyMDE1MjM2ODEzNzU4NjoxMjg0OTUwODYxNjU3NzI1/

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 11:10:17

Why is there such a huge gap in those who have and those who haven't ?? When confronted with news of a sensitive nature such as this it's unbelievable in this day and age. Truly dreadful and shameful.

EllanVannin Sun 03-Mar-19 11:05:27

Vouchers ? Like the ones for poorer families who use them for milk fruit and veg. Isn't this government run rather than the NHS ?

gmelon Sun 03-Mar-19 11:03:52

Hospitals do supply incontinence pads.
This I know because the pads were used on me as the only option available in place of sanitary pads.
I was rushed to hospital in an area outside of where I live. The hospital staff saw fit to use incontinence pads for sanitary pads. In fairness they had no choice.
The embarrassment does not bear recalling.

Esspee Sun 03-Mar-19 10:56:05

Men are provided with razors in hospital if required - that is purely cosmetic as are shampoos, anti perspirant etc.
Say a woman is rushed to hospital on her period. She then has to ask friends and family to purchase these things for her. It could be very embarrassing. (Imagine a man happily picking up Tampons in the supermarket)
I agree that if one knows a stay in hospital is necessary then you go prepared.
There is also the poverty issue. Some families cannot afford protection. Apparently many girls miss school because of this. Hard to believe in this day and age.