Gransnet forums

AIBU

House of Commons Canteen

(83 Posts)
Gonegirl Wed 27-Mar-19 16:41:01

Photo filched from Twitter.

Why can they get that so cheap? It's 5 or 6 in pubs round here! Why are we subsidising their food?

Mycatisahacker Thu 04-Apr-19 09:28:45

jalima

Sorry I didn’t mean to personally criticise anyone but that was my dhs honest experience in DEFRA, HMRC and numerous councils. Obviously there are exceptions but generally speaking that was the case.

Mapleleaf Tue 02-Apr-19 19:56:49

Seems to be a lot of experts on this thread, who know all the ins and outs of how all other people work. ?

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Apr-19 10:26:45

Canteens are indeed marvellous but the contractors are usually far too busy doing the job government pays its workers to shirk and getting paid ridiculous amounts to sort out their messes.
I've worked in the civil service and I have worked in private firms and worked far harder in the civil service than anywhere else at all. It was extremely pressurised and I take exception to your remarks that civil servants are lazy, take time off at the drop of a hat etc.
There may have been the odd employee who would 'swing the lead' but they would make their colleagues very annoyed indeed and you do get that type of employee wherever you work.

Mycatisahacker Tue 02-Apr-19 08:55:33

easybee

Absolutely we are as that’s the market rate! Would you think it more sensible for dh to refuse work? How odd!

As a tax payer though I find it dreadful.

Can you not see both sides of situations? hmm

Magrithea Mon 01-Apr-19 21:34:10

There was a reason it was that price (something to do with a majority or some such in one of the many votes!). And all food outlets have to put allergens in their food labelling, not just HoC

eazybee Mon 01-Apr-19 20:00:08

Sounds like someone is profiteering. Not sure who.

Mycatisahacker Mon 01-Apr-19 18:53:32

And back to the spirit of the thread these MPs and their staff employ contractors to do the jobs they should be doing but won’t or are too incompetent to make changes sucessful. They spend far too much time in the canteens and bars! Honestly true

Mycatisahacker Mon 01-Apr-19 18:51:16

No my husband is a contractor!

If he and his team worked like this they would be fired! Quite rightly.

He has worked all over the world in dozens of businesses banks and government departments and the waste inefficiency lazyness and piss take from government workers (highly paid ones) is disgraceful.

You probably don’t realise that there are hundreds of contractors on daily rates of £1000/1500 a day working in government departments, that you pay, because the employees won’t do the jobs they are paid to do as they are off sick, work to the clock or generally are lazy. If they worked in the private sector they would be sacked.

Obviously not all. But the waste and mismanagement is eye watering but it’s tax payers money.

Just last week 2 women had to attend a meeting in London from Newcastle. They arrived an hour late, insisted on an hours lunch break and left an hour earlier than paid to get an earlier train! Unbelievable

eazybee Mon 01-Apr-19 14:50:20

Mycatisahacker
Being completely honest most of the team take the piss, off sick, leave on the dot, watch every school play, leave early turn up late, dentists appointments mid week grin leave BEFORE the rush hour although paid until 5!!! It’s a joke because it’s tax payers money.

Have I understood this correctly, in that the above statement refers to your husband's team and their attitude to work?

Mycatisahacker Mon 01-Apr-19 14:21:53

My dh is a contractor and his easiest dossiest but frustrating contracts are for government departments so HMRC and DEFRA etc.

Being completely honest most of the team take the piss, off sick, leave on the dot, watch every school play, leave early turn up late, dentists appointments mid week grin leave BEFORE the rush hour although paid until 5!!! It’s a joke because it’s tax payers money.

Canteens are indeed marvellous but the contractors are usually far too busy doing the job government pays its workers to shirk and getting paid ridiculous amounts to sort out their messes.

Hey ho! Pays our mortgage though.

Mycatisahacker Mon 01-Apr-19 14:08:00

It’s a bloody disgrace as they all are at the moment!!!

Specs Sun 31-Mar-19 03:18:48

Shameful.

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Mar-19 23:11:15

That is not Eton Mess.
It doesn't look like an authentic one, perhaps you have to mash it up yourself!

I would also add, that a lot of people working in the Houses of Parliament will not be MP's earning vast salaries.
Neither do Civil Servants but I can't remember our canteen being subsidised

Mapleleaf Sat 30-Mar-19 18:55:53

House of Commons, sorry!

Mapleleaf Sat 30-Mar-19 18:53:03

I would also add, that a lot of people working in the Houses of Parliament will not be MP's earning vast salaries.

Mapleleaf Sat 30-Mar-19 18:51:36

Most canteens serve subsidised meals. Where my DH works, it offers subsidised meals; when I worked for the NCB many years ago our canteen offered subsidised meals. So, whilst I disagree with expenses scandals (wherever they take place), I have no problem with subsidised canteen meals!
There are lots of workplaces which offer subsidised canteen meals.

absent Sat 30-Mar-19 03:19:52

I'll shut and go away, but I do love the title of this thread – House of Commons CANTEEN.

absent Sat 30-Mar-19 03:17:22

That is not Eton Mess. Half the strawberries need to be blended to make a sauce and the meringue should be broken up. Then the whole thing is combined.

absent Sat 30-Mar-19 03:15:42

I used to be given luncheon vouchers – does anyone else remember those – as part of my salary as "payment in kind" when I first started working. They had to be declared for tax purposes. Do MPs pay tax on the food and drink subsidies – hell, they don't even pay the bar and restaurant bills, apparently.

The subsidised food in the Houses of Parliament was, I think, established because MPs sat only the late afternoon and evening – sometimes well into the night. (They all had other full-time jobs and businesses during daytime.) It was important to have a place to eat when nearby restaurants, cafés and pubs were closed because it was essential to hear the division bell. (Of course, they could have brought some sandwiches or a plastic container of salad as we all did when we had especially busy or even ordinary days.) Changes to parliamentary hours happened quite a long time ago, so the "need" for subsidised meals and drinks really does not exist any more. More importantly, in these days of food banks as a result of government austerity, it is a slap in the face of many.

paddyann Fri 29-Mar-19 23:47:59

Free school meals up to Primary 3 here thats about 7-8 year olds

maddyone Fri 29-Mar-19 20:21:37

I worked in a school and if I wanted a school dinner I had to pay for it! Needless to say, I didn’t bother to avail myself of that little perk!! I also paid for my own coffee, sweetners, and made a termly contribution to the staff milk bill. We also had a rota for staff room cleaning, I and my TA would be responsible for cleaning the kitchen units and coffee table in the staff room, also unloading the dishwasher, and clearing out the fridge at the end of the weeks ‘staffroom rota’. The rota meant we were on staffroom duty approximately for one week every half term. This is real life, not subsidised food and drink, plus all washing up and kitchen cleaning done for you.

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 19:46:20

You do realise that other staff besides MPs and peers work in Parliament?
Well I never!

We did have a canteen too but it was not subsidised (Civil Service, HO not that far from H of C).

Stansgran Fri 29-Mar-19 19:40:39

Nampo=MP

Stansgran Fri 29-Mar-19 19:40:01

DH was given a bottle of House of Commons whisky by some MP who thought DH had done him a favour ( whereas DH had been simply doing the job he was paid for) I was really quite pleased at having this bottle on show as a conversation piece . Then I found that it cost £1 for the MP. I actually felt quite insulted that Nampo felt a reward for a favour real or not merited £1 . A case yesgrin

sarahcyn Fri 29-Mar-19 18:13:47

You do realise that other staff besides MPs and peers work in Parliament?