Gransnet forums

AIBU

I need to "vent"!

(18 Posts)
MamaCaz Sat 06-Apr-19 10:10:05

Framilode
Oh for goodness sake you pearl clutchers. It is not yet illegal to smoke outside. You have your public buildings, pubs, offices etc smoke free what more do you want? I should think it's pretty difficult to notice the difference when mixed with exhaust fumes, B.O, etc. I get a bit fed up with all the holier than thou types and I speak as a non smoker.

Pearl-clutches, Framilode? Hardly!

What is prim or prudish about hating the smell of cigarette smoke and/or not wanting to be un-necessarily subjected to its negative health effects? confused

crazyH Fri 05-Apr-19 20:34:25

My lungs cannot handle smoke - I avoid sitting near a smoker (they stink) on public transport.

callgirl1 Fri 05-Apr-19 20:26:01

Our local hospital does have an area set aside for smokers, a good 100 yards or more from the entrance, but hardly anyone smokes there, they all stand outside the main entrance doors, and even though there are bins, the ground is littered with fag ends.

Framilode Fri 05-Apr-19 19:54:15

Oh for goodness sake you pearl clutchers. It is not yet illegal to smoke outside. You have your public buildings, pubs, offices etc smoke free what more do you want? I should think it's pretty difficult to notice the difference when mixed with exhaust fumes, B.O, etc. I get a bit fed up with all the holier than thou types and I speak as a non smoker.

bikergran Fri 05-Apr-19 19:41:05

I live near Oswaldtwistle Mills shopping outlet. As you come out the entrance your in a sort of little courtyard area, people would stand there even in the doorway fagging it, people had to walk through the smike it stunk..

So I emailed the company and told them of the problem, they said they had NO Smoking signs up, Im not sure if they did but there are signs up now and it seems to have worked,

I would certainly email any company or contact customer services and complain. Anyone who doesnt smoke should not have! to inhale smoke especially if it says NO SMOKING.

Chewbacca Fri 05-Apr-19 19:34:10

Spot on eazybee. There's a particular perfume that some women wear instantly gives me a headache. It's so strong and overpowering that I feel like I've been hit between the eyes with it and I have to move away from them asap. Trouble is, the stench lingers long after they've moved on.

eazybee Fri 05-Apr-19 19:26:35

I must be the only person in the British Isles who actually likes the smell of cigarette smoke; it reminds me of forbidden places- backstage at a theatre, inside a pub, and the staffroom at school!.
I gave up smoking twenty years ago and have never missed it, but I do get sick of all these people who hyperventilate at the merest whiff of a cigarette.
Personally I hate the smell of cheap soap, cosmetics and aftershave, (do you realise how long the smell lingers) and those awful air fresheners people use, but I accept that some people actually like them and don't say anything. Ten seconds of an unpleasant smell isn't going to harm you.

M0nica Fri 05-Apr-19 17:44:50

Bradfordlass How could you afford it? It is something that puzzles me about most smokers - how can they afford it?

BradfordLass72 Thu 04-Apr-19 22:18:20

I was at a social/craft club yesterday and, as it was a warm, sunny day, the big, floor-to-ceiling glass doors were pushed back.

The one smoker (of about 40 people) went out and stood just outside puffing away and all her smoke came back into the room.
Yuk, revolting, not to mention that at least one of the elderly ladies in the path of that pollution has a severe lung problem.

Then she came back and stinking, as smokers do, sat next to me. I was almost sick.

I used to be a smoker, 80 a day at the maximum so perhaps I'm less tolerant than most.

BlueSapphire Thu 04-Apr-19 22:05:15

Very common outside our hospital too; people in their hospital pyjamas and dressing gown puffing away. Staff as well.

MargaretX Thu 04-Apr-19 21:45:42

I read once that London banks forbade employees to smoke in the doorways, so the bank employees now exchange bank doorways for their mid morning cigarette.

I no longer smoke but think tha smokers can smoke in the open air if they want to. Live and let live!

Happychops Thu 04-Apr-19 21:10:16

I have asthma and have to either rush past or try to hold my breath until I get past,cigarette smoke triggers my asthma very quickly. If some is walking ahead of me smoking ,I actually run to get in front of them if I cannot cross the road, as if I stay behind the smoker I walk into the smoke they exhale, and my breathing becomes restricted immediately. Perhaps smoking areas for people would be an idea, then you could avoid the area as you would know where there will be smoke.That way everyone would be ?

tiredoldwoman Thu 28-Mar-19 16:38:18

Yes, I witnessed it this week at a hospital . Patients were wheeled outside for a cigarette , one even had portable oxygen ! All out in their dressing gowns puffing away , but the air was being back drafted into the hospital foyer . It was horrible to see .

PamelaJ1 Thu 28-Mar-19 14:43:50

I don’t smoke, don’t like being around smokers. Can’t see why they can’t give up. BUT it is an addiction and they have to be somewhere.
I can’t think that it can be much fun having to be stand outside in all weathers ‘enjoying’ a fag especially if you’re I’ll. Even if you are ill because of your habit.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 28-Mar-19 12:06:18

We also get this outside our local hospital. As near to the doors as possible we get patients in dressing gowns with a fag on, puffing away, even those attached to a drip. It's sad really, to have an addiction like this.

Maybelle Thu 28-Mar-19 12:04:53

Same problem just outside the doors of the hospital here, despite the whole site being a no smoking zone.

MamaCaz Thu 28-Mar-19 11:58:46

And it's not just customers!

A few weeks ago, I popped onto a supermarket to get something, then sat on the seat immediately outside the doors to wait for a bus.
I was a tad miffed when what looked like a member of staff on their break came and sat next to me and started smoking

I stood up, glared and walked away. These days, i really dislike other people's cigarette smoke, even if it's just the smell of it on their clothes when they are next to me in a queue.

H1954 Thu 28-Mar-19 11:16:10

Not quite sure where this thread belongs to be honest, BUT why do people think it's ok so smoke directly outside the supermarket doors or any other public building to be fair?

Just done a big shop, came out of the supermarket and there on the bench directly outside the doors waiting for a taxi was a couple of people chuffing away, the smell was disgusting!

Is it really necessary or were they voting in a new Pope?