Gransnet forums

AIBU

Say one thing do another

(14 Posts)
overthehill Fri 12-Apr-19 16:16:20

I personally carry through what I say I'm going to do barring emergencies. Others don't and it annoys me. Couple of cases in point. We have new neighbours. I knocked and said did they want to pop in for a cuppa just to say hello. They couldn't come then as she's pregnant and was having her baby shower. He said we'll be giving the neighbours a knock soon. OK that never happened. Yesterday another neighbour said hello and declared she would be popping up later to see me. Being how I am and I can't/won't change, I then feel I'd better tidy up for her arrival....again she never showed. Grrr

sodapop Fri 12-Apr-19 18:00:55

Yes sometimes people just say things with no intention of carrying through.
'Must catch up soon ' Let's have coffee " I'll pop over and see you" all just words.
I would rather people said nothing or gave me a definite date and time.

rosecarmel Fri 12-Apr-19 19:34:20

Sounds like my big sis! Promising to come out and visit but doesnt -- which ok with me smile

I moved from home state, which in her mind translates to I'm the who has to travel to see her and mum - Super passive aggressive attitude! But I go visit anyway, because I truly want to -

Even though she has friends who moved from home state and she traveled to visit with them!

But again .. I'm good with that too smile

Just wanted to say my sis is that way smile

Lily65 Fri 12-Apr-19 19:44:36

People don't care.

Tangerine Fri 12-Apr-19 20:22:07

I like to keep to what I've said I'll do unless a genuine reason stops me.

Jane10 Sat 13-Apr-19 07:51:40

Working with adults with Aspergers has been great. One of them once complained to me that he can't stand it when someone says, 'How are you' on meeting. He replies, 'Do you really want to know how I am or do you just mean hello?'
It was imperative for me to say what I meant, meant what I said and did what I said I was going to do!

gillybob Sat 13-Apr-19 08:00:24

Oh I totally agree with you overthehill why bother saying you will do something if you have no intention of doing it?

When I think of my small family and all the promises of help I have had from my son, my sister etc. To do whatever (always for someone else) it never happens so why offer in the first place?

Oldwoman70 Sat 13-Apr-19 08:38:03

Another one here who agrees with the OP! Late last year I had three people say they would come and chop wood for me for my open fire - I didn't ask or even mention it, they offered. None of them turned up.

notentirelyallhere Sat 13-Apr-19 08:56:48

When I was studying sociology I was a great fan of a female sociologist called Ann Oakley and her statement 'know what you think and say what you mean'!

I do what I say and get exasperated by people who don't. Many people are just careless I think and, these days, the dreaded busy cramming in too many things with too many distractions. I never visit Soops Kitchen but I imagine it's a thread where you can drop in and say what you mean in simple terms.

BradfordLass72 Sat 13-Apr-19 10:38:58

I'm astonished you've only just found this out - it's people !

No one keeps to their word: politicians, advertisers, businesses, churches....parents.
It's all around us and always has been.

Even in the Bible it says, 'Let your "no" be "no" and your "yes" be "yes"... which seems to indicate that many people didn't even in those days [smile[ Matthew 5:37

BlueSapphire Sat 13-Apr-19 12:45:01

Yes, my plumber said he'd be round after 3 o'clock on Friday. Guess what?

Wheniwasyourage Sat 13-Apr-19 14:40:36

Oh,BlueSapphire you've just reminded me that the electrician said he would come this week and hasn't and now it's Saturday. Mind you, we have been waiting for over a year and I just reminded him again a fortnight ago...

Coolgran65 Sat 13-Apr-19 16:06:33

One person's See you later ..... means see you around.
To another, it means.... see you in a half hour.

And so, See you later.... really means very little unless we know the other person very well.

showergelfresh Sat 13-Apr-19 17:18:29

Say what you mean and mean what you say.
Not many people do that.
I can’t stand ‘see you later’ and think it deplorable that someone can say the’ll pop round and then don’t.
When someone says something so vague to me I expect not to see them! Otherwise I will say something like ‘how about tomorrow morning at 10?’
Honestly - these people are so annoying.
GF of son has done it a few times and DS wonders why I’m not keen on her. Yes I know he will always be on side of GF.
Why are we sooooo gullible and trusting sometimes?