Gransnet forums

AIBU

Big brother watching

(8 Posts)
Houseseller Sun 14-Apr-19 08:23:31

Good morning, a strange thing happened to me this morning, I checked my emails and opened one from patient access. The subject was under active thyroid and HRT. A few days ago I went to the doctors to have a medication review which was for, yes you’ve guessed it under active thyroid and HRT. What I had discussed was included in the email. I had my iPhone in my handbag so I can only assume what I was discussing was being picked up by Apple. It is very scary. Anyone else had similar experiences

petra Sun 14-Apr-19 09:08:09

Houseseller
I've been aware of this for a couple of years.
Last year we were with our daughter and this subject came up.
We decided to do our own experiment.
We 'stole' an idea from the internet. Low and behold she received emails and adds for this product.
The word we used was 'crib'. This is the word we 'stole' from the YouTube videos we had viewed on this subject.
We chose this word because it's one that I doubt my daughter as ever uttered, she has no children and has never wanted any.

Dgrann777 Sun 14-Apr-19 09:09:51

Dear Houseller.
Did you google the topics on your return from GP. I find sometimes when I google something I get generic emails etc on same subject. Just a thought. ?

Riverwalk Sun 14-Apr-19 09:13:56

I too have just had one from Patient Access about the same subjects and haven't visited the doctor. I don't think it's anything suspicious Houseseller probably subject of the week that all practices are sending out.

I can't imagine every GP practice sends out tailor-made emails.

cornergran Sun 14-Apr-19 09:18:33

Patient Access isn’t personally targeted as far as I know although I think I saw an option to ‘request’ topics some while ago. . Mr C has had the same email. Definitely not been discussing HRT smile.

Houseseller Mon 15-Apr-19 11:02:37

I did not google either subject, it just seems strange that the context of the conversation was included. Perhaps I am getting paranoid ???

Bagatelle Mon 15-Apr-19 12:06:36

I got the same email and I've been to the doctor about other matters.

shysal Mon 15-Apr-19 12:31:19

I have an adblocker, but GNetters have mentioned that when they type a certain word or topic on a thread they will see relevant adverts on their screen. Big Brother is definitely watching you! That is one reason I am reluctant to own an Alexa type device!smile