Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dogs in cafes

(227 Posts)
Silverlining47 Sun 14-Apr-19 11:00:41

I am having a Sunday morning coffee in a very pleasant cafe....people quietly reading the Sunday papers. A lady comes in with two small dogs which yap loudly and screeching. The waitress looks despairingly and approaches the owner but clearly there seems to be no official line about dogs in cafes and the yapping continues to destroy the peaceful morning. Nearby is another smart and trendy cafe with closely spaced tables. I went there last week for lunch. Soon a huge dog is sitting next to me, its nose almost resting on my table. The owner is either amused or unaware.
AIBU to find this unacceptable.

GoodMama Fri 21-Jun-19 22:57:28

Well behaved dogs sitting quietly at their owners feet on an outdoor patio, no problem, I find it charming.

But I don't want to hear, feel or smell a dog (mine included!) when I'm eating. Yapping, roaming or dogs anywhere but on the ground tucked away is rude.

SirChenjin Fri 21-Jun-19 10:48:38

I'd drink at that bar grin

sodapop Fri 21-Jun-19 10:21:05

Love it Maw grin

MawBroonsback Fri 21-Jun-19 09:20:13

Dogs in bars though?

SirChenjin Fri 21-Jun-19 09:15:10

Bahaha to you too smile

LullyDully Fri 21-Jun-19 08:11:07

I am not a great dog lover or hater, but I am alarmed by how dog friendly everywhere is becoming. It seems we can check if a hotel will accept dogs but not visa versa.

A few years ago we settled for lunch outside the service station in the Lakes. A dog came and urinated right by our feet, as we ate. The owner thought we were fussing. Stupid woman. not

Please remember not everyone is delighted by dogs. Sorry. ( my grandsons can be pretty unsociable too.)

sodapop Thu 20-Jun-19 21:02:51

Not ridiculous at all tedber there are lots of places suitable for dog walking etc where one can have fun times with ones dog/s. It's not necessary to take them everywhere you go especially if that could make it unpleasant for others. If we are going to be out for more than four hours then we pay a reliable person to take the dogs out and sit with them for a while. Its all part and parcel of being a responsible dog owner. I do say yes that people should not have a meal out with their dogs unless its a picnic in a dog friendly area.

Tedber Thu 20-Jun-19 20:17:28

Not me SirChenjin I don't have a dog!!!!! Just an observer of life and realising there is nobody as nasty and unforgiving as PEOPLE. Dogs never judge.... I know what I prefer Bahaha

SirChenjin Thu 20-Jun-19 20:05:37

It had run its course - I posted 4 days ago.

I’m sure that your dog is very well behaved and doesn’t annoy other patrons by exhibiting some of the poor behaviour described on this thread - but that obviously wasn’t what I was talking about.

Tedber Thu 20-Jun-19 19:02:28

Bluebelle says "Why can’t you eat without dragging your pooch out with you Can’t they ever be left at home ?"

Absolutely.... but why should people leave their pooch at home if they are on a day out or on holiday?

Maybe IF they are eating close to home you have a point! What when people are on a day out/holiday with their dog(s). Are you suggesting people should never ever take their dogs out further than their home surroundings? Are you suggesting people should never be able to eat a meal anywhere, ever with their dog?

Ridiculous ...thank Goodness....there are people with more sense.

Tedber Thu 20-Jun-19 18:40:34

SirChenjin.... I thought this thread had run its course smile However, YOUR comments ....well I guess it depends exactly where you live? Where I live, since introducing 'dog friendly' has been the saviour for many establishments. Now they are thriving with dog walkers. But...there are many other establishments that the anti dog brigade can frequent too!!

I simply don't 'GET' how it has to be all or nothing? I have never ever witnessed dogs on chairs/eating from plates. I find this hysteria about it all bemusing to say the least!

But ...all of the people objecting on hygiene grounds admit they wouldn't object to assistance dogs? So...are assistance dogs more hygienic? Better trained? In majority of cases most dogs in hotels/cafes are exceptionally well trained so the objection cannot be for hygienic reasons can it?

Nobody should be forced into loving animals - I get that but neither should animal lovers be forced to feel like they are idiots. You know when you tar everyone with the same brush? Accepted there ARE very inconsiderate people in the world, not just dog owners, but parents, teenagers, children....it goes on....

Anyway as I started off saying...I live in an area where a lot of small establishments were struggling and THEN they put signs up saying "muddy paws and boots" accepted and THEY flourished..... Speaks for itself really eh?

SirChenjin Sun 16-Jun-19 20:55:21

If everyone who took exception to poorly trained dogs spoiling their meal/trip to the shops/whatever went elsewhere these places would soon go out of business.

BlueBelle Sun 16-Jun-19 17:47:42

Why can’t you eat without dragging your pooch out with you Can’t they ever be left at home ?
It’s not so much about behaviour of the dogs but the owners feeding them off plates or saucers
I m not a dog hater at all but I don’t want to eat around strangers dogs some drooling or shaking themselves or smelling doggie, losing dog hairs
Although dog lovers/ owners will deny this but you can always smell when a dog has been in a room
There are more and more places allowing the in now and
they should be left in their own homes and gardens in my opinion

KatyK Sun 16-Jun-19 09:49:40

Exactly sodapop why should we have to go elsewhere to accommodate dogs?

sodapop Sun 16-Jun-19 09:12:03

Because restaurants etc are for people not canines Tedber Why should anyone have to avoid a favourite place because of thoughtless dog owners.

Tedber Sat 15-Jun-19 21:44:47

This thread could run on and on...dog lovers re dog haters or not so much dog loving lol. So o.k. IF you don't like dogs around in the place you are at, why not just go elsewhere? Much more places dog free than dog friendly. Why spoil it for the people who love dogs? Don't get it t.b.h

Winniewit Wed 12-Jun-19 18:29:50

We went for a meal at a pub owned by a TV personality on Lincolnshire.
It's a small place and has a small bar seperate from the eating area. A patron was allowing his dog to walk up and down along the bar. Everyone in there seemed to think it was quite funny.
Added to this the food wasn't really upto expectations.. So we won't be returning.

allassinsane Thu 16-May-19 09:13:22

I like most dogs. We had a couple of neighbours with lovely dogs. They soon got to know us and would come running up for a bit of fussing. I didn't mind that as I knew them and they were very friendly and well trained. (the dogs not the neighbours, tho they were lovely too!) Our local pub usually has one or two in the bar area and they've always been quiet and well behaved. Also outside in the pub garden there's usually a few dogs, we get a lot of walkers and tourists around here and people bring their dogs. There's never been a problem.

I know this is a bit off topic but what I don't like is when a strange dog comes running up when out walking or if I even spot a dog off lead it makes me a bit nervous. Someone once said "oh they've just spotted the apple you've got in your hand" when their dog came running up to me. Was once walking on the beach and a dog came running up from quite a distance. When I didn't stop and give it a stroke the owner shouted over "you're not very friendly are you!" She wouldn't have known I'd just done a stint at cardio-rehab and was just enjoying a gentle stroll.

As other posters have said, I just wish SOME owners would understand the effect their dogs can have.

Sara65 Thu 16-May-19 08:10:04

I agree nuttynanna
I’m not a dog lover, but neither am I a dog hater, I’ve always been pretty indifferent to them

But I’m so fed up with dogs being in cafes and restaurants, and I’m so irritated by the owners who assume everyone thinks their dogs are so cute

nuttynana Thu 16-May-19 08:03:40

I have noticed an increasing trend for this.
Our local has always allowed dogs although there would be very few . They would sit or lay under the table or at their owners feet and you would scarcely notice .
Nowadays I have seen people sitting with small dogs on their laps allowing the dog to feed off of their plate , dogs sirtting on the upholstered "banquettes ."" , large dogs laying sprawled right across the floor on the main route to the loos and literally having to step over them ( as a child I was bitten when I walked too close to a dozing dog , not his fault I probably startled him but mAkes me very nervous )
In the main shopping centre in Winchester I have been in cafes (chain ) where dogs large and small have been yapping or barking and in our Laura Ashley (very small ) furniture dept in the sale where a large Labrador type dog was barking and barging around , knocking into everything and everyone .
In one cafe 2 large dogs decided they did not like each other and started growling and barking and had to be pulled apart . In no case has any member of staff taken the slightest bit of notice . Also a few of the clothes shops have started putting dog treats near the till .
Where did this trend start . I like dogs but it is perfectly possible to organise life so that the dog can have a good walk or run and not need to be constantly with the owner .
I think these are the same sort of people quiet frankly who take their children everywhere and let them misbehave whilst assuming that everyone else just loves their little ones Being the centre of attention .
I agree with everyone re the hygiene concerns . I will not return to any of these places .
Where will the limit be ? One well behaved dog may not cause a problem but what happens when there are 4 or 5 ?
Shops and cafes need to have a policy clearly displayed and then at least I know where not to go .

Sara65 Thu 16-May-19 07:34:54

Sorry, don’t know where that came from!!!!

Sara65 Thu 16-May-19 07:34:15

Hyrax

Sara65 Thu 16-May-19 07:33:09

It’s beyond me, that you can’t see how a lot of people would have found this very objectionable, me for one!

NfkDumpling Thu 16-May-19 07:31:55

We had a pub lunch yesterday sitting outside by the river. There were all sorts of dogs sitting quietly with their owners - a lurcher, a couple of Welsh spaniels, a bull mastiff... many came and went while we were there. But there were two women sitting with four small dogs, three of which wore harnesses saying Service Dog. They were appalling. Jumping up at the table and virtually stealing food from their owners mouths, and going mad barking every time another dog walked past. The owners kept yanking at their tangled leads, shouting at them when they barked - in effect barking with the dogs - and feeding them chips to shut them up. So they barked more. Service dogs they were not.

As with parents with unruly children its not the dogs fault. Perhaps signs saying adults unable to control their dogs and children not admitted?

jura2 Wed 15-May-19 22:23:51

Stopped in a 4 * Hôtel on way back from UK- chosen for allowing dogs. We went to the beautiful dining-room for dinner and politely asked if Emma could come in. We were taken to a table near another table with 4 people, so before we sat we asked if they minded. All smiles- and the restaurant owner said it made a nice change that we asked. Put Emma's bed down in the corner, she got in and was never seen again for the duration, as good as gold. How anyone could have objected, unless true allergy- is beyond me.