Gransnet forums

AIBU

Pathetic and expensive window dressing by public agencies

(9 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 01-May-19 10:41:24

When my OH was in hospital I was incensed by the garbage notices around the place informing us how brilliant they were and how much they cared. The "care" he received was total pants, so these bland bits of window dressing were complete rubbish. Mostly they were in the form of pop-up banners, or large wall posters, and using the initial letters of the ward's name with some virtue attached to each.

I have just driven past the NHS admin offices and there we have their motto, CARE, expressed thus:
C - compassionate
A - accessible
R - responsive
E - empathetic

.........or some such rubbish - I cannot remember the exact details.

What a load of bollocks! What is this all for? How much does it all cost? What is the point? How much does it cost for people to be employed to devise this stuff?

When wards are so short-staffed, and the service is crumbling, could we not ditch all this?

janeainsworth Wed 01-May-19 11:33:55

Perhaps it’s to remind the staff of what they should be doing Lucky.

I remember seeing a bus in Newcastle with an advert on the side advertising the new acute hospital in S Northumberland.
I wondered at the time how much NHS money was going to the bus company got the advert.

janeainsworth Wed 01-May-19 11:34:43

‘For’ the advert

Lily65 Wed 01-May-19 11:39:39

An acronym for everything. The first word is usually reasonable, then they run out of words and write any old rubbish.

Lily65 Wed 01-May-19 11:41:33

Accessible?

" please can my 92 year old relative have transport?"

No

gillybob Wed 01-May-19 11:57:34

Oh I totally agree with you there Lily65 it used to make my blood boil trying to get patient transport for my late grandma. She was 99 years old and I would have to go through the same pathetic routine...….

I always used to always take her to appointments in my car but it got where I couldn't physically get her in the seat on my own, yet they would still refuse her an ambulance !

sodapop Wed 01-May-19 12:42:04

I can understand your anger Luckygirl considering all the difficulties you have encountered. Makes you want to point out each word to all the staff.
Maybe it is there as a reminder as JaneA said.

Luckygirl Wed 01-May-19 13:06:43

I remember when I worked in hospitals that the compassion etc. were simply a given, and were the raison d'etre of the place - we did not have to trumpet it aloud with posters etc. - it was present in the whole ethos of the place.

Does anyone seriously think that the presence of this window dressing actually makes patients or relatives any more confident of good care?

The irony of course is that as these silly notices have proliferated, the quality of the care has deteriorated.

Nonnie Wed 01-May-19 13:43:28

I remember one hospital years ago which had 2 irritating things. One was a wall full of butterflies, one for each person who had died there! The other was a notice right next to the waste bin asking people to put their rubbish in it. The point was what exactly?