Gransnet forums

AIBU

You just got to laugh about.

(6 Posts)
Gonegirl Tue 14-May-19 17:32:01

If it was just a stud, wouldn't it be bi-(whatever)? Do you have different ones for women and men?

freyja Tue 14-May-19 17:27:00

Yes, I did say it was me. He even gave me the ear ring to see if it was ok. I haven't bought earrings for a long time so I am a bit out of date. I agree I am now forewarned and will be ready next time but will still buy two, just in case one is lost! It still makes me giggle thinking about it.

Tedber Tue 14-May-19 16:28:52

Annoying but lots of people now DO buy only one ear-ring - men and women. They may have two lower down but only one at the top of either ear. Also did you actually say they were for you? As previous said; you could have been buying for someone else?

At least we will be forewarned now smile

FlexibleFriend Tue 14-May-19 16:03:08

Lots of men have been wearing one earring for decades now. The man in the shop probably thought it was a present for someone. I doubt he thought you were a man he just thought you were buying for a man.

leyla Tue 14-May-19 16:00:27

Will you buy another one so you have a set?

freyja Tue 14-May-19 15:57:13

I think I may have lost the plot. Last week I was shopping with my DD and GS. While she was in one shop I popped into a well known jewellers to get some sleepers for my pierced ears, I keep losing them. The sales assistant, man (about 50 maybe manager), was very helpful. I choose the earrings from a tray, paid and left. What's strange about that you say. All was well until I got home and opened my little packet of one earring, I looked everywhere but no it was a single ear stud. I checked the receipt which stated "man's single earring stud". Now I am no spring chicken and in this confused world there seems to be many genders but I am certainly not a man in any shape or form or anything else other then a true blue woman, a mother and a grandmother. I am bemused by this as my DD called me 'mum', my GS called me 'nan' when they returned to the shop. I mean who buys one earring? How can the assistant make this mistake when I spent ten minutes talking to him, so why did he think I was a man and wanted one earring. Also the tray did not stipulate that the earrings were for men or that they were not a pair. I just took it as said that I was buying a pair of earrings. The assistant stated that I cannot take back earrings so have to put this do to experience.
Has anyone else bought one earring or have been mistaken for the opposite sex because we are old.? Or have had bemusing experience that can only be put down to shopping madness by others. You got to laugh about it.