Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour's son asking to use our wifi

(98 Posts)
nevesnan Sun 16-Jun-19 15:22:55

Hi everyone, I don't know if I am being unreasonable over this but the adult son of our neighbour (who we don't really get on with. long history) knocked at our door to ask to use our wifi.

I told him we didn't have wifi (we do) and he left. Is is a normal thing to use your neighbours wifi. He doesn't live there by the way he was visiting.

Tigertooth Sat 29-Jun-19 09:08:13

If you don’t like them then, no, why would you?
I have a holiday home and next door offered their wi-if code as it’s not worth paying for so-if all year when we’re only there for Easter and summer. We have a great relationship though, she is my friend and I always stand a big cream tea as thanks.

GoodMama Fri 21-Jun-19 22:53:49

Very rude of him. You were not wrong to turn him down.

A cup of sugar? Sure, no problem.
Your Wifi password? Not a chance

Merryweather Wed 19-Jun-19 17:16:54

Make sure your password is difficult to access and check for unauthorized users too in case he's hacked his way in.
Our is really tight but one day we noticed a drop in speed and sure enough someone had illegally logged in.

Bridgeit Wed 19-Jun-19 14:16:21

Imo, You were totally reasonable, sad to say, but these days you have to be very wary .

DameJudyClench Wed 19-Jun-19 11:15:45

I very naively allowed a neighbour to do this a few years ago. The result was that my bandwidth was severely compromised and it created problems with being able to view films etc.

Also, as another poster mentioned, if he's downloading illegal content, that could come down on you.

Don't feel guilty, you don't owe him anything, and frankly he's a cheeky git for even asking.

luckyrose62 Wed 19-Jun-19 11:14:09

Definitely Nooooo even if he is super clever and very respectable with great job........
“ Dark Web”. an evil place that even well to do it intelligent people use for the most disgusting of things. Rant over... he should not put you in that situation. I think there are still places he can go libraries internet places. For legitimate use

EMMF1948 Wed 19-Jun-19 11:09:36

If he is doing anythong illegal online, making comments on social media for example, then the ISP would lead anyone investigating to your address and you would have serious problems. As you don't have a good relationship anyway I'd say No.

SparklyGrandma Tue 18-Jun-19 17:27:50

SynchroSwimmer that’s a brilliant idea, BBC Detector Van.

curlilox Tue 18-Jun-19 12:35:19

If you had allowed him to use it then he would have been able to go on any time after that as he would have been able to connect automatically and he would have given his mum the password, so then she could get on for free and anyone else who visits. Who knows how many people would have your password! You did the right thing. Years ago (before mobiles) we gave a neighbour permission to give our phone number to the school as an emergency number. They gave it out to all and sundry as the number to contact them. We kept getting people ringing up wanting to speak to them. The last straw was when the daughter was in prison and the prison phoned me wanting to speak to her mother.

NanaMacGeek Tue 18-Jun-19 11:41:02

tickingbird, most people don't bother to change the admin settings on their router to prevent easy access to their network (or are reluctant to make any changes in case they can't undo them). Once you have the WiFi password and are in range, it is usually simple to access the router administration page and listen in on communications and attack any devices on the network. The WiFi password is really the main defence against hacking a home router and the devices it can see.

tickingbird Tue 18-Jun-19 10:22:43

GabriellaG54 I do most humbly apologise for my error. However, I’m not precious about such things. I’m not someone who gets incensed if someone parks outside my home or touches my trolley whilst in the supermarket. I trusted my new neighbour, who did offer to pay me, but, normally wouldn't let anyone use my wifi. However, I was once told by someone far more knowledgable than me, that there is no risk in allowing someone access to one’s broadband as they can’t access your computer, merely your wifi signal.

dizzygran Tue 18-Jun-19 10:01:46

I agree. I did let sick neighbour's adult relation use ours when she as visiting from abroad, but most cafes - now have Wi-Fi so I wouldn't as a rule give anyone else access. my

GabriellaG54 Tue 18-Jun-19 09:05:21

tickingbird
You are totally wrong.
Messages and sites accessed can be traced to your IP address.
If you choose to compromise a secure link that's your business but please don't say it's ok.

GabriellaG54 Tue 18-Jun-19 09:01:05

No no and no. Never share your Wi-Fi unless it's family.

NanaMacGeek Mon 17-Jun-19 22:28:18

You wireless router has an address (MAC address) which your provider knows. All your broadband traffic, including packets that will be sent on to your devices via WiFi, is routed to that address and it is traceable. It is only your password and the proximity of devices that protects your WiFi connection. If other devices can see your router's broadcast identity (SSID) they can access it provided they have the password. Both SSID and password can be changed on a wireless router but the MAC address is built in.

moggie57 Mon 17-Jun-19 21:17:22

well adult son can go to a wifi internet cafe .or go to a coffee shop.i would be be very careful who i let into my home. blooming cheek.

Aepgirl Mon 17-Jun-19 21:14:10

Certainly not. If he needs WiFi he could go to the library.

SalsaQueen Mon 17-Jun-19 18:15:58

Let him use your wi-fi, and tell him all his friends can use it too, any time of the day or night grin. I think the least you could do is make them all some lunch/dinner and drinks, and perhaps offer them a bed for the night............

the cheeky little whatsit

tickingbird Mon 17-Jun-19 17:53:44

I have allowed neighbours to borrow my wifi before. It can’t be traced to you as it's wifi and it if doesn't have a password on it anyone can access it. If you don’t get on with them it’s up to you if course.

jocork Mon 17-Jun-19 17:32:03

I was once trying to pay a bill on line late one night as it was due that day and I'd forgotten. My wifi was unreliable and had dropped out and it was too late to contact the supplier so I asked to use my neighbours'. We get on fine and they agreed. After that every time my wifi played up my computer automatically connected to their's! I can't do it now as I replaced my computer so the new one doesn't have the password saved and I certainly didn't keep it as I just wanted it for the one transaction. I wouldn't share my wifi with someone I didn't get on with though and it sounds as if you don't get on that well with your neighbours so you were right to say no.
When I used to visit my mother in sheltered accommodation she had no wifi so I had to visit the local library and register to use their computers. At the time I didn't have a smart phone so it was the only way to access my email.

Grammaretto Mon 17-Jun-19 16:40:11

Daddima grin

Daddima Mon 17-Jun-19 16:06:20

Reminded me of this!

Direne3 Mon 17-Jun-19 14:53:43

Tillybelle I assume you changed every single one of your passwords the moment he left. Not a nice experience to say the least. flowers

annodomini Mon 17-Jun-19 14:52:32

When you go into settings and search for 'network and internet', you will find a list of nearby internet connections. They should each have a little padlock icon beside them which indicates that they are password protected, as I presume yours is or he would probably have used it without bothering to ask.

Legs55 Mon 17-Jun-19 14:36:58

Not unreasonable to refuse access to your wifi. When I go to stay with DM I use my phone as I've got 4G & if necessary pay for extra data if I've used my allowance