Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hospital assumes, what?

(97 Posts)
tanith Tue 25-Jun-19 17:57:42

Got e-mail today from the hospital informing of an app with a surgery team about my Carpal Tunnel in October not too long to wait.
Good good good, then I read the bottom of the message.

You will need to bring with you to your app:

- Any medication or tablets you take.
- Reading glasses if you wear them.
-A friend or relative who knows you well , as the doctor may need to ask them to help describe the symptoms you have.

Why do they assume anyone my age 70 I need someone to help describe my symptoms?

Tillybelle Wed 26-Jun-19 11:03:15

tanith

I'd be the same as you! Also I have nobody near enough "Who knows me well", as they all have died!

One thing to be aware of - they might not let you go home on public transport.

I had an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, for which they offer an intra-venus relaxant. I arrived unaccompanied. They wouldn't let me have the drug and go home alone! I did it without.

It might be worth checking ahead that they don't have some kind of rule governing your procedure.

I've had both hands done, went fine. But they would not let me use a taxi home, luckily a neighbour collected me. Good luck! It's worth it! ?

Tillybelle Wed 26-Jun-19 11:05:40

Harris27 V good point! ?

Saggi Wed 26-Jun-19 11:35:09

Always go on my own to appointments. Even when I gad cataract done. Only one there on own and staff didn’t want to let me go home on own so had to lie and say daughter was picking me up outside dept. She was actually in Cornwall ..son doesn’t drive and I’m my husbands only cared so had to get home. Went outside hospital and got in bus. Another ‘no-no’ apparently . Lot of fuss!

knspol Wed 26-Jun-19 11:49:25

I would just laugh it off, no offence meant. The para that always gets my attention asks whether I need a translator - I sometimes have needed one to understand the doctors foreign accent!!!

tanith Wed 26-Jun-19 12:04:53

This app as far as I can see is just out patients with the surgery team not the actual surgery.

‘Alypoole’ my Carpal Tunnel started suddenly 9 mths ago with numbness and tingling in my left hand all fingers and thumb and palm except the little finger , apparently the small finger isn’t usually affected. It feels like your hand has gone to sleep.
Now I have muscle wastage and the grip is very weak and I can’t type because I can’t feel the keys with those fingers and it’s hard to pick anything up because you can’t feel it. The neuro consultant said it’s at the severe stage and referred me to the surgery team. So here I am glad once again grateful for our NHS.

Paperbackwriter Wed 26-Jun-19 12:24:21

Sounds like the letter covers more than just the age option. Having someone with you is likely be about overcoming any possible language barrier.

lizzypopbottle Wed 26-Jun-19 12:38:43

Even letters that purport to be personalised are really form letters. I went to be weighed and measured for my birthday check. The letter that followed recorded my BMI as a healthy 23 but beneath that were suggestions including joining Weight Watchers! Below the entry recorded as 'never smoked tobacco' was the suggestion that I might ask for help with stopping smoking!

Tweedle24 Wed 26-Jun-19 13:01:19

I remember being told in a lecture (I was a nurse) that providing leaflets for patients to take home with them from appointments/inpatient stays is necessary as, very few people can remember more than three things they are told at a time.

grannytotwins Wed 26-Jun-19 13:47:43

I’ve never had that in a letter, but was interested in Marydoll’s comments. My sister was asked if her husband spoke English. He did when he got his PhD from (famous university), she replied.

Smurf44 Wed 26-Jun-19 14:05:57

No one mentioned that I should take someone with me on my visit to Lincoln Hospital last week, but I needed major help from a nurse to use the automatic booking-in computer. Then other nurses kept coming in to the waiting room to see if Mrs xx or Mrs yy had managed to arrive without booking in. At least one patient had! So it was taking an expensive computer plus nurses to find out who was there, when all it needed was one cheerful soul to book each patient in! Progress!
No “friend or relative required” is mentioned on my next appointment letter - I’ve just checked as I’m in my late 60s and could be classed as past it!
I’m just off to the dentist now! I could be a while. ???.

Joplin Wed 26-Jun-19 14:24:38

SueDonim, your friend should have had someone to look after,or at least check, her dog before arranging to go to Hospital. No-one knows how long any appointment will last or even if they'll be seen on time. I hope she doesn't contemplate having another dog.

Pat1949 Wed 26-Jun-19 14:25:34

Hospitals always send a similar letter no matter what age you are, it's not ageist. I prefer going alone but a lot of people don't, I think the thinking behind it is that the patient may be slightly nervous and forget some thing which has been said or advised and two people are less likely to. It's nothing to feel insulted about.

moggie57 Wed 26-Jun-19 14:32:54

well maybe they think you do lally at 70 years old .??? or you wont understand the technical words.or maybe just for support should you feel a bit faint after the op... its sensible to get someone to go with you./or to transport you home.

jenpax Wed 26-Jun-19 14:41:57

The “care package” question would have incensed me too!
Smoking is something medical people always assume you are or have been. I have never smoked and doctors always seem surprised that I am not an ex smoker! I think it’s probably because lots of people of my age (50’s) have smoked in the past. Certainly I am virtually the only life long non smoker of my age that I know

GillT57 Wed 26-Jun-19 14:43:05

Out of all of this, I am most concerned about Kitty's selfish BiL, setting off to drive hundreds of miles, towing a caravan, alone, nearly 80, mobile phone turned off, prone to black outs and heat about to hit 40 in France. I hope he gets stopped and 'derailed' before he nods off on a motorway and kills others. There is a point where being independent becomes being selfish. What a worry for you Kitty, his sister needs a slap.

GillT57 Wed 26-Jun-19 14:43:27

his sister....his wife

jenpax Wed 26-Jun-19 15:30:40

Good point! BIL is a hazard! Very concerning!

montymops Wed 26-Jun-19 15:53:31

Can’t think why anyone is bothered about this ! I’ve had so many appointments in the last 6 years and would just have roared with laughter if I’d been asked these things. They have saved my life so many times - that’s all that concerns me. Wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for the NHS .

vickymeldrew Wed 26-Jun-19 16:30:32

It can be a good thing to be accompanied on an important appointment. However, I really don’t understand the current fashion to bring multiple family members to doctor or hospital visits. As a ‘frequent flyer’ in my local hospital I find myself irritated by hordes of friends and relatives drifting about bringing in germs and sitting in waiting room chairs leaving no room for genuine patients. (Did anyone see last night’s 24 hours in A&E when a schoolgirl who had been in a fight broke her little fingernail and brought her mum and her sister with her?)

kittylester Wed 26-Jun-19 16:34:53

GillT, believe me I've been tempted!! She is so detached from it all. When an ambulance has been called for one of his blackouts, she hasn't gone to the hospital with him just told him to ring when he was ready to come home.

We were so relieved that someone reported him to the dvla and cant believe he is still allowed to drive.

And, if anything goes wrong, guess who they will ring?

AnnS1 Wed 26-Jun-19 16:37:20

Had my pre op for hip replacement last week. Was asked what year it was!!

Granless Wed 26-Jun-19 16:43:44

Don’t be so tetchy - some 70 yr olds do need help .... and .... some don’t and seem to resent being asked if they do. Can’t win comes to mind.

FarNorth Wed 26-Jun-19 16:51:27

Standard letter?
My DD has had a number of hospital appointments and none of her letters has said she should take anyone to describe her symptoms, only to accompany her after having anaesthetic.

It would be easy to have a sentence suggesting that you may want to bring someone, rather than tell you that you should (because of your advanced age).

How much would someone else know about your Carpal Tunnel anyway?

FarNorth Wed 26-Jun-19 16:53:16

Marydoll that's appalling!

annep1 Wed 26-Jun-19 17:06:37

I agree Farnorth