Gransnet forums

AIBU

Should DH drive eight to nine hours in one day

(85 Posts)
annep1 Sun 14-Jul-19 22:55:05

Too much in one day. Has been fortunate in not having an accident. Should stay one night.

M0nica Sun 14-Jul-19 22:29:44

Absolutely not, at any age. Stupid dangerous ideas of machismo: 'Of course I can do it, I always have.' (thumps chest and pretends to be a gorilla, metaphorically) is what causes accidents and kills people.

lemongrove Sun 14-Jul-19 22:27:47

maddy my DH is older than yours, but even if he wasn’t I would kick up a fuss if he ever mooted the idea of all that driving in one day.
However good a driver, when we are older it is definitely too much.I cannot understand why he ( or both of you if you go as well) cannot stay somewhere overnight.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 22:22:20

My husband is 67y too. He drove up to Plockton in Wester Ross from South Manchester one day (9 hours - 8 driving & 1hr for 2 stops) and 6 days later did the same in reverse.

Nowadays we have mobile phones for keeping in touch - he could always call you or his parents to change any arrangements.

Try not to worry. He is confident and probably, like my husband, enjoys driving.

SueDonim Sun 14-Jul-19 22:22:01

Paddyann, are you seriously suggesting that to still be driving after 18 hours without sleep is a good idea? It's not allowed for professional drivers and I think the OP is right to be concerned.

I do agree that 67 isn't old but I'd worry if one of my children proposed to drive for that long without resting.

paddyann Sun 14-Jul-19 22:12:52

My husband would be livid if I thought he was too old to drive that sort of distance and he's mid sixties too.He drove over 300 miles with my son to collect a car last month and back straight away only stopping for a snack on the motorway,I fyour husband feels he's capable dont try to control him its not fair ,my MIL had this from FIL in the end she just gave up driving and when he died she could have done with her car but her confidence was gone .67 isn't old by any means and as he says he hasn't had an accident so leave him be .Why look for things to worry about?

tanith Sun 14-Jul-19 22:11:40

I’d worry too, that journey would tax anyone, I’m 71 and recently drove for 6 hrs with a short break which was certainly my limit. If he won’t agree to stay overnight there’s not a lot you can do. Just keep voicing your concerns.

SueDonim Sun 14-Jul-19 22:10:58

I was going to say that I didn't see a problem as we make a 500 mile drive in one day regularly but having looked at your detailed info, no I wouldn't be happy with that. To get up at 5am and still be driving more than 18 hours later is a long time without sleep.

Could he not stop over for one night? It requires a minimum of packing, basically, a tooth brush and change of clothes. He could travel down at a reasonable time in the morning, see his parents later on, then have a sleep overnight. Next day, see his parents again and maybe go for lunch, then set off home and be back early evening.

Or just go with him. My dh and I share the driving but I've taken to knitting or crocheting when I'm not in the driving seat. There's also radio or podcasts to listen to.

SirChenjin Sun 14-Jul-19 22:09:39

No YANBU to worry - that’s a lot of driving in one day, but it sounds like you’re not going to get anywhere with this one. Why is he being so stubborn? Is he worried about getting older and sees this as a way of proving to himself he’s still as capable as he was when he was younger? I’m just thinking out loud so that might be complete rubbish! Would it not be possible for him to stay overnight with them and have a bit more time together?

maddyone Sun 14-Jul-19 21:56:58

My DH is 67 years old. His parents are both still alive, they are both 92 and live independently together about 250 miles from us. About three times a year, often for their birthdays and before Christmas, he drives up to their home, starting out about 5.30 in the morning, spends the day with them, and drives back at about 6.00 or 7.00 in the evening. The one way trip takes about four to four and a half hours, assuming no traffic jams. He is a very capable driver, has driven all over Europe and parts of America, and has been driving for over forty, nearly fifty years. He has never had an accident, and only ever had one speeding ticket, back in 1974. However, I don’t like him doing this, I feel so much driving in one day is unsafe, especially as he ages. He refuses for us to go together, and to stay a couple of nights in a Premier Inn, saying he doesn’t want to drag it out and make a big thing of it. I stay at home as I don’t want to sit in a car for eight to nine hours in one day. If I try to dissuade him, he gets a bit cross and tells me to stop trying to control him. But I worry about him. When I tell him how I feel, he just says he’s never had an accident. No he hasn’t, not yet. I worry, AIBU?