Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tiny Tots Graduating ... what do YOU think?

(134 Posts)
JulieMM Fri 19-Jul-19 12:26:30

This week my little 3 year old grandson ‘Graduated’ from Nursery. He’s a bright lad but had no idea what was going on, wearing a cap and gown and being handed a certificate. The photos taken show the puzzlement in most of the faces there and I felt quite sorry for them! I know a lot of primary schools do this now but at least those kids know what’s going on and can enjoy all the preparations and excitement if they choose to go. But these little tots looked quite bewildered! Am I being old fashioned?

Iam64 Fri 19-Jul-19 14:33:17

Callistemon and Stella 1949 have be re-considering my grumpy grannie post. It's true that primary schools are so different, so much more positive and kind than they were when many of us attended. Knuckles wrapped with rulers, negative comments about anything and everything. Take it all back, let them make mortar board hats and eat cake grin

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Jul-19 14:40:47

This is our GS leavers photo from pre-school (I obscured his face).

The leavers got up on a small stage got a round of applause- lovely and of course I cried.

Alima Fri 19-Jul-19 14:42:51

DGD2 “graduated” from pre school yesterday. She enjoyed dressing up and feeling ‘special”. No limo or posh frock was included.

eazybee Fri 19-Jul-19 14:50:51

Stupid.

BlueBelle Fri 19-Jul-19 14:52:00

Totally and utterly ridiculous, so much a pet hate, of mine along with the dreadful pageants and proms all horrendous
American nonsense
We’ll be having a ceremony for going into the next year soon

Callistemon Fri 19-Jul-19 14:52:17

Iam64 smile

I was rather a weepy granny today!
and Miss M could barely speak at times as she read tributes out to her Y6 pupils who were leaving.
They'll remember her for all the right reasons.

Oh - they didn't wear gowns, just home-made caps. Or rather, school-made caps.

FarNorth Fri 19-Jul-19 15:03:26

Still think it's silly.

Lessismore Fri 19-Jul-19 15:12:38

I think its horrible and silly. For God's Sake, let children be just that.

All this faux emoting. Yuck.

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 15:14:10

These things start in a harmless enough way, but they gather momentum and end up becoming mass marketing opportunities, needing transport, outfits, presents, blah blah blah..

The leavers prom for those actually leaving school has reached epic proportions.

Minniemoo Fri 19-Jul-19 15:17:18

Pretty harmless for nursery tots. It's when they leave Primary School it's all gone a bit daft. An article in the paper today about an 11 year old with her £1000 prom dress/make up/hair etc etc.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Jul-19 15:18:54

It’s a mini milestone and I think the tots just look very cute!
No expense involved and a nice way to give each child a small round of applause.
?

Minniemoo Fri 19-Jul-19 15:19:15

Your little DGD2 looks adorable, Alima. Happy little girl enjoying the day.

Lessismore Fri 19-Jul-19 15:36:15

So we have ( not necessarily in order)

Engagement, minimoon,marriage, honeymoon,gender reveal party, baby shower, birth celebrations, Christening, Nursery graduation, Primary prom, Secondary prom, on and on it goes. Birthdays, Halloween, Bonfire Night, Christmas.......

All creating mounds of landfill.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Jul-19 15:40:27

And lots of joy Less! We might as well enjoy ourselves while we are here or what’s the point? There’s enough sadness, gloom and tragedy about. Let’s embrace the happy times whilst we can I say!

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 15:49:47

Well, I've still got sore misgivings (could probably get some cream for them)

Gonegirl Fri 19-Jul-19 15:50:32

I bet they do get the sense of what it's all about. They will feel they have achieved, and it will encourage them on to the next stage.

Bless 'em all!

fizzers Fri 19-Jul-19 16:37:47

it's ridiculous, another expensive copycat idea from the US.

FarNorth Fri 19-Jul-19 16:50:02

Urmstongran we don't all agree that conspicuous consumption produces joy.

HildaW Fri 19-Jul-19 16:50:07

Years ago when I worked in pre-schools and the children did not leave until they were 5 (plenty young enough IMO) we had a little ceremony where all the leavers were given a little certificate that had a poem printed on it and some painted hand prints. The first line was something like.....There used to be so many of my fingerprints to see....etc. It was very low key but rather sweet. The children were old enough to understand they were soon moving up to 'big school' and the whole thing did mean something to them.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Jul-19 16:54:57

Not sure how 19 under fives lining up on a little stage after a day at a Farm Fun Park with parents and some grandparents and the younger children remaining in pre-school could be labelled "conspicuous consumption"?

Iam64 Fri 19-Jul-19 16:57:23

Oh come on, calling celebrations conspicuous consumption and making land fill is a tad puritanical and a lot Grumpy. Yes we consume too much and could all benefit from thinking on about changing our ways but let’s not turn into miserable bar stewards.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Jul-19 16:57:32

They were given a certificate, a card signed by all their "teachers" with photos throughout their time at pre-school along with a memory stick containing all their art work and significant events/milestones achieved in a "book bag".

Iam64 Fri 19-Jul-19 16:58:36

Sounds a happy occasion grannygravey ??????

mcem Fri 19-Jul-19 16:59:07

Our primary 7 pupils celebrated their move to secondary with a ceilidh and buffet. Smartly dressed but not ott and no 'graduation ceremony.'
I believe all these pseudo-graduations devalue the 'real thing'.
After 4 years of hard work at university will real graduands look on the ceremony as just another graduation in a long relatively meaningless line of them?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Jul-19 17:04:03

Iam64 it was a fabulous day, if somewhat wet as we had a fair amount of rain. GS was bathed and in bed by just after 6pm, with a story and many happy memories.