Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU - putting dishclothes into the dishwasher

(127 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Sun 04-Aug-19 10:52:04

Urgh - I went to unload the dishwasher this morning (my husband had loaded it and set it going last night) to find that he'd put three dishclothes in with the dishes, to wash them.

He did this once before, years and years ago, because "Kim and Aggie did it". I told him in no uncertain terms that I didn't give a toot what Kim and Aggie do/did, but in my house that was NEVER to happen again. And - to my knowedge, but now I'm not so sure - he never did it again.

So - AIBU to not want dirty dishcloths put in with the plates/cups/glasses etc in the dishwasher.

His argument is that it gets so hot in the dishwasher that any germs on the clothes are killed off, and it's actually a hygienic way to clean the cloths.

(I have taken the cloths out and re-run the dishwasher.)

DanniRae Fri 30-Aug-19 10:10:59

Mention of Lakeland has prompted me to come on here and say that their washing up brushes are the best I have ever used and last for ages. They come in a pack of two and are called Professional Washing Up Brushes (6.99).

Resurgam123 Fri 30-Aug-19 07:31:13

Oops how on earth did that get a double post. That was probably a time lapse..

Resurgam123 Fri 30-Aug-19 07:29:15

Mine does not seem to understand the difference between a dish cloth you wash the dishes with, or a tea towel you dry the pots with.
I have to smuggle the ragged ones out in our as the fabric is so worn it falls into lint. I have a hubby who wont throw out things like that.
Yes we do have a dishwasher.
Then HE puts the dish cloth on top of the upturned tea cups to wash them at the same time. So now he puts the cups upside get and rinse bits and pieces of food stuck in the dishcloths. So I have to clear them. YUK.

Resurgam123 Fri 30-Aug-19 07:11:07

I had that conversation yesterday. Do we both share the same bloke?

My husband does not seem to know the difference between a dish cloth that you wash your cups with or the tea towel you dry it with.
I have been tearing up lots of old ragged tea towels that are ancient as discretely as I can or I will be nagged that about tearing them up. The fabric is now so weak and the lint comes off them.

annodomini Wed 14-Aug-19 19:50:52

I don't use dishcloths. I use a Lakeland 'Wash-up Whizz' net scourer which doubles as a dishcloth as it has an open net structure. It goes in the dishwasher with the dishes.

Purpledaffodil Wed 14-Aug-19 19:37:19

Slightly off the point, but as infant teachers we were told to put toilet roll middles donated for junk modelling in the microwave to sterilise them?After a staff room revolt at the thought of putting lunchtime soup where toilet roll middles had been, we asked for kitchen roll middles only.?

Witzend Sat 10-Aug-19 11:57:38

What exactly do you mean by dishcloths? Things for washing up, wiping around, or what I call tea towels - for drying? My dh often refers to tea towels as dishcloths so I know it's a grey area.

I don't have dishcloths as such - I use sponge cloths for wiping around, and they're changed when they start to look a bit manky.

I have a stack of tea towels, which get bunged under the sink when they look as if they need washing - certainly not daily! - eventually I do them all together on a hot wash with the oven gloves.

melp1 Fri 09-Aug-19 22:17:12

Oh Humptydumpty wouldn't want my toothbrushes in with my bowl & sink organiser. I put mine in steradent once a week.
Mind you I haven't got a dish washer. sad

DanniRae Wed 07-Aug-19 19:12:55

SueDonim - Well that makes it ok then......hmm

SueDonim Wed 07-Aug-19 17:37:51

Oh, I'm not chuckling at folk not having a dishwasher - that's everyone personal decision/circumstance. I'm amused by people virtue signalling by saying they don't have a DW because they're not necessary.

DanniRae Wed 07-Aug-19 14:07:03

SueDonim - I don't have a dishwasher because there is no room in my kitchen for one. If this makes you chuckle then so be it!
I do have a washing machine so, thank goodness, no hauling washing down to the river. I also have 2 vacuum cleaners so my carpets can be cleaned in the same way that I, presume, yours are.

SueDonim Wed 07-Aug-19 13:10:38

Morethan2 I think your dh needs to pay for that for the rest of his life. grin

I'm chuckling at all the folk who've come here to say they don't have a dishwasher. I'm imagining them also doing the laundry down on the rocks by the river and hauling carpets out into the garden to whack them with a carpet beater. wink

morethan2 Wed 07-Aug-19 11:01:14

Something like that DanniRae I got no sympathy from my work colleagues either who almost choked laughing. Over six years later it’s still bought up when anyone complains about their men’s bad habits as “you think that’s bad listen to what morethan husband did.

Willow500 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:06:59

I used to put my cat's dishes in the dishwasher but they don't fit properly in the new one. They're all washed every morning after I've done the rest of the non dishwasher stuff, with their own cloth, rinsed and then dried with same cloth.

DanniRae Wed 07-Aug-19 08:52:51

morethan2 - grin I suppose it went something like "What the &%£@&%* hell do you think you are doing? Don't ever %$£@&%$ do that again. You &%$£@%%*!!"
Am I right? smile

BBbevan Wed 07-Aug-19 06:06:36

SiL once put engine parts in th dishwasher. DD was literally lost for words

MissAdventure Tue 06-Aug-19 23:24:42

grin

morethan2 Tue 06-Aug-19 21:06:44

DanniRae I dare not write what I said to him,I’d be banned for ever!
Bathsheba I hate to think he may have done it before but it wouldn’t surprise me.
I know one thing he’s been warned and he’ll never do it again if he knows what’s good for him. He now puts his glasses on before going to the bathroom

Annaram1 Tue 06-Aug-19 17:39:00

Please, no bathroom bits in the dishwasher, even if the water is scalding. The very idea gives me a fit of the screaming hab dabs.

Loislovesstewie Tue 06-Aug-19 12:59:12

I was about to say that dishwashers are more eco-friendly but see that Tweedle24 beat me to it. Less water, a days washing up all done at the same time in far hotter water. I always find the hostility to dishwashers amusing; we don't wash clothes by hand so why is washing dishes by hand supposed to be better for us ? BTW I never buy clothes that need hand washing; although there is a hand wash programme on the washing machine. I can't be bothered with having to wash by hand.

Tweedle24 Tue 06-Aug-19 12:47:16

BlueSapphire My cats’ bowls go in the dishwasher too and dish cloths go in the washing machine with the towels. My washing up brushes go in the cutlery basket.

Dishwasher is more eco friendly than washing up by hand. It uses less water and the water can get hotter than hands can bear.

Bathsheba Tue 06-Aug-19 12:38:22

morethan OMG shock. But thank heavens you caught him at it, so you knew to throw it away/boil wash it, whatever.

but I wonder how many times he'd done it before and you didn't catch him at it?

DanniRae Tue 06-Aug-19 12:25:24

morethan2 - Yuk! Whatever did you say? shock

Ohmother Tue 06-Aug-19 11:08:14

Car bowls and dishes = Tea-towels and knickers to me. ??

TwiceAsNice Tue 06-Aug-19 10:50:20

I also put in cat bowls and servers and vases. It all gets washed at a high temperature so don’t think it matters