Gransnet forums

AIBU

Strange Collections

(7 Posts)
Musicgirl Fri 16-Aug-19 19:13:25

There has been a news report about a retired teacher from Lichfield who has collected over two hundred hole punchers over the years. As they are now downsizing, his long-suffering wife has said the collection has to go and it is to be auctioned off. It reminded me of the somewhat macabre collection of hundreds of taxidermied birds in Ipswich museum which had been amassed in the nineteenth century by an over-zealous "honourable" hunter and had been the second largest private collection in the country "kindly donated after his death by his widow." I can just imagine the lady rubbing her hands with glee at the prospect of getting rid of it all. Do any of you have any experience of bizarre collections with your family or friends?

Bordersgirl57 Fri 16-Aug-19 20:00:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elrel Fri 16-Aug-19 20:41:22

A friend has moved on a large collection of science fiction paperback books dating from the 1950s. At first it seemed no one was interested.
Their spouse is delighted with the extra space and is content that the room housing the tram books, memorabilia, and a vast ticket collection stays undisturbed.

Musicgirl Fri 16-Aug-19 21:41:12

Borders girl, your husband sounds like a friend's husband, who has many different collections including over 200 televisions. He has been able to sell some rarer ones on but most remain. Neighbours have been known to leave redundant televisions in their front garden in the dead of night.

Bordersgirl57 Fri 16-Aug-19 21:49:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Farmor15 Fri 16-Aug-19 21:53:00

My parents were both collectors of a range of different things. At one stage my mother decided to collect glove stretchers and ended up with about 40. These were scissor-like, made of wood, silver or ivory and used to stretch the fingers of the long kid gloves women wore in 19th century.

Witzend Sat 17-Aug-19 10:20:25

Dh once sold a very old Betamax video recorder - wasn't even working! - on EBay for £1!
The chap said he collected them! And I think used the parts.
But you did have to wonder, when Betamax vids were obsolete (at least in the U.K.) long before DVDs took over.