Gransnet forums

AIBU

Lawn mowing

(129 Posts)
annsixty Sat 24-Aug-19 20:19:22

Posted and lost.
AIBU to be miffed at my next door neighbour starting mowing his back lawn at 7 :40 on Sat evening on a beautiful day with a noisy petrol lawn mower.
I have come outside with my second glass of wine after my meal.
He is retired and his teacher wife is on 6 weeks holiday, they had thei6f holiday to Greece earlier
Is it thoughtless or arrogance?

Labaik Tue 27-Aug-19 12:22:16

My neighbour keeps his recycling bin near to my kitchen door and it always makes my jump when he throws glass into it; I do try to do things like that in the daytime but he seems to start doing it quite early in the morning. They get annoyed because my dog triggers my security lights when she goes out for a nightime wee, but I've noticed that they have very thin unlined curtains so it's no wonder the light disturbs them. We've been neighbours for many years and have always got on really well but it's strange how little things can cause annoyance. My partners car was written off when he parked it on the pavement outside his house [Amazon driver reversed into it at speed], so he's worked on his driveway and now parks off road. Another neighbours daughter has started to park outside his house so he now can't see to reverse out safely [her father parks on the pavement opposite which makes it even harder]. These are all really lovely people. Can't imagine what it's like to have really bad neighbours !

gt66 Tue 27-Aug-19 12:05:57

I'm sorry you feel upset annsixty. I read posts, but very rarely make a comment, because I've seen how, even the most innocent question always attracts someone who feels the need to snipe, when a polite 'yes you are being a bit unreasonable' answer is sufficient. There's just no need for it, but unfortunately, as in real life, an innocuous question invites a reply harsher than is necessary.

Labaik Tue 27-Aug-19 11:39:35

I would imagine that it was far too hot to mow the lawn earlier; I've been doing most of my gardening in the evening recently.

humptydumpty Tue 27-Aug-19 10:59:22

TBH I'm not sure what time is actually a good time in terms of not upsetting the neighbours - even during daytime, a neighbour may be doing shift work.

sarahanew Mon 26-Aug-19 12:36:36

Maybe they had plans during the day and that was the first opportunity he had to do it, was just bad timing as far as your relaxation, but I doubt he realised that

SueDonim Mon 26-Aug-19 11:58:14

Shropshirelass same here with tractors! They're racing to get the harvest in, in this glorious weather and the tractors were zooming past my house until midnight last night.

My son-in-law farms and he works 18-20hr days when the weather is good at this time of year.

Joyfulnanna Mon 26-Aug-19 11:28:52

I get miffed when my neighbour burns his garden rubbish and huge plumes of smoke waft over the hedge. Usually it's on a warm day when I still have washing on the line and all windows at the back of the house are open. He's keen enough to pop in to let me know he's away and if I could feed his cat.

JacquiG Mon 26-Aug-19 11:05:05

He's a man.

Does he have garden bonfires when there's washing out too? The work women do is not real work, so why consider it?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 26-Aug-19 10:08:02

It's better than mowing at seven in the morning. I expect they have no idea how noisy it is to others and how much the sound carries.
Better to mow during the day, surely?

harrigran Mon 26-Aug-19 10:03:20

Shropshirelass, talking of tractors working late, we were on holiday in France one year and the farmer worked through one entire night. He had a big light on the top of the tractor cab, it was okay when he was going down the field but when he turned and came up the light shone through the bedroom window and into our eyes. The only French house I have stayed in that did not have shutters.

Shropshirelass Mon 26-Aug-19 07:38:20

muck not much!

Shropshirelass Mon 26-Aug-19 07:37:33

I live in a rural area, tractors work until the light has gone, mowing, combining, baling and much spreading so a little lawn mower wouldn’t bother me.

Esspee Mon 26-Aug-19 07:25:46

Yesterday we were enjoying a long leisurely lunch in the garden with guests when my neighbour started mowing his lawn - slowly. Eventually he finished followed ten minutes later by the one on the other side.
I am thinking of starting classes in synchronised lawn mowing so that we can all get it over and done with at the same time!

Saggi Mon 26-Aug-19 07:15:59

To be honest Annsixty it wouldn’t worry me...surely unless they have gigantic garden it couldn’t have taken more than half-hour to mow. My garden 50x60 ft. and takes half hour. I actually like to know people keeping their gardens nice . Better than 7.40 in morning.....which as I rise at 5.30...and live the mornings, I’ve been tempted to do! I try to do mine between hours if 10-6...always conscious if neighbours three little o Es going to bed. But if course doing it in middle of day is a nuisance to sleeping shift-workers...of which my hubby was one. It always woke him up (annoyed). Thing is , you can’t please everyone around you for differing reasons! My suggestion is another glass of wine and the old adage’ live and let live’

Dillyduck Sun 25-Aug-19 22:28:53

I think it IS bad manners to start a mower at that time on a Sunday morning. On Saturday we would never mow before 9.00, 10.00 on Sunday. Someone once told me it's against the law in Germany to mow at all on a Sunday, but that's taking it a bit far. I'd have a word with them asking them to restrain themselves until at least 9am. Not everyone has such long holidays as teachers, and you'd like a lie in. After all, as teachers surely it's their job to teach children to be considerate to others??

Ellie Anne Sun 25-Aug-19 21:47:47

Ann we all have different things that annoy us. I don’t mind lawnmowers but loud music annoys me. Today I was in the garden and had lawnmowers, barking dogs and noisy children. Short of moving to the country nothing I can do about it. But I totally sympathise with you about the harshness of some replies. I very rarely post as have been in tears at some of the comments. Sorry you are lonely. Me too.

Tedber Sun 25-Aug-19 19:24:13

Ann, ann, ann. Please don't leave GN. Go on other forums as I said. Nobody knows what anyone is actually going through from innocuous posts. I now realise that the man cutting his grass is far from what is upsetting you. People just don't know.

I too lost my DH - Only difference was I was in my early forties with young children. Does that make it better or worse? The pain is still the same though. I got angry at another thread when I was lamblasted but I realised it was ME.... I was being silly because of how I was feeling at the time. Nothing is ever as it seems and we are anonymous people and perhaps we just want something more? Like friendships?

Please please do not get upset about this thread ann.

annsixty Sun 25-Aug-19 18:52:47

Harrigran
I understand your post and realise you know what that loneliness is like but your Husband could ring you and was coming home.
Mine died in April and is never coming home.
I am.leaving this thread now.

Tedber Sun 25-Aug-19 18:33:04

annsixty IGNORE the posts! Sometimes people don't always read ALL of them before posting (am guilty of this too) So they read your original post and then post from that. They haven't seen you say you realise you were over reactive.

I understand now. Ann, continue to post on chat or other forums. Tell them how you feel. The AIBU prompts two points of view - yes or no!

Lots of lovely people on other threads who will interact with you and hopefully stop you feeling so lonely.

Please DO NOT take offence to anything that was said to you on here.

harrigran Sun 25-Aug-19 18:31:49

annsixty, DH worked away from home and for 16 years I never had anyone to talk to from a Sunday night to a Friday night when he returned for the weekend.
It is so much easier now with most people being connected on the internet, at least we can talk on forums.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Aug-19 18:19:23

annsixty please stay on GN, I look forward to your “kitchen posts” ???

annsixty Sun 25-Aug-19 18:17:39

I have admitted I was being unreasonable many posts ago.
The comments made have upset me.
I have a very thin skin presently.
My life is not good, I haven't really spoken to anyone since Thursday and dont expect to until Tuesday.
I am very vulnerable and I do know I was wrong.
Admitting that has not stopped the sniping, what more can I do?

Tedber Sun 25-Aug-19 18:09:20

annsixty I think you are taking comments a little too much to heart if I may say so. People will always have different opinions which is the thread you posted on AIBU. You have got a good few people who say your are not, a few saying you are. Personally being called a 'twit' is far from the worst. I think what she meant was 'calm down, is it important?"

Please don't get upset about it. Personally I do think, in this instance, you ABU BUT ....you asked! Doesn't mean I think you are a bad person or that I would want to upset you in any way.

Take care

annsixty Sun 25-Aug-19 17:59:48

granny4hugs that is the most derogatory word to decribe me.
I can assure you a TWIT whether total or not is far from what almost everyone who knows me would call me.

GuestCorrectly Sun 25-Aug-19 17:50:44

We have 2 neighbours with sit on lawn mowers (we could seriously cut both their lawns quicker with our electric mower).
One always does his on a Wednesday evening - doesn’t bother us greatly but I’d be cheesed off if I had small children with school next day, as he rarely finishes much before 9pm ( little earlier now nights are getting darker).
The other insists on taking all day every other Sunday to do his ( we joke that it’s the only way for him to get away from his demanding family). He wears ear defenders but thinks nothing of driving repeatedly along the boundary with our garden. We now make a point of going out whenever he starts.
So you have my sympathy annsixty but it could be worse.
I have heard that there are countries that ban lawn mowing on Sunday afternoons and after 7pm. I’m not sure if it’s true or not, but what a brilliant idea.